Reload this Page >

Hotel Raphael rome? ok?

Search

Hotel Raphael rome? ok?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 08:46 AM
melinda17

Hotel Raphael rome? ok?

Any experience with Hotel Raphael in Rome? i have seen reviews that stated it wasnt very clean. I like the area but am hesitant to book a room there. Thanks.

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a big fan, partly because the rooms have so much character. Don't expect brand new generic furniture like at a Hyatt or Marriot. Instead you'll find a room with heavy traditional draperies and window treatments, antique furniture, and some decent reproductions (which to be frank are a little overdone and heavy for the size and scale of the rooms). The rooms have a sort of European "cluttered" or "faded" feel to them, which I find wonderful. Others may be bothered by that kind of look. But I sure never saw anything that could warrant being called "not clean".

In addition the rooftop terrace has an amazing view, the location of the hotel couldn't be better, and we found the staff totally helpful, courteous, and informative.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:35 PM
melinda17

ttt

Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:30 AM

We stayed at the Raphael in July of 2002. We had a recently renovated junior suite. It was clean, very comfortable and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was amazing--large, modern and luxurious. By now, I would imagine that all the rooms have been refurbished. I thought the hotel was very clean. The hallways to the rooms are somewhat stark and institutional looking but the rooms are great. The Raphael has lots of sales on rooms so shop around for a good rate.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:58 AM

Yes, we got a good rate through Summit Hotels, which also gave us American Airlines FF miles.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 10:26 AM

I got married in Ravello last March and we spent a week in Rome at the Hotel Raphael. We loved it. It was in a great location right next to Piazza Navona. Great for walking to the Vatican also. The hotel was very nice and clean. Their internet was down all week infortunately. Be sure to have something to eat on the rooftop terrence restaurant. Nicely decorated rooms! Enjoy!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 03:13 PM
melinda17

Thanks for all the input...I'm going to book it for 2 weeks in June!

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:06 AM

Wow, melinda, now you've really thrown a curve at me. I hope you're getting a great price. While I raved about the Raphael, it's not a place I'd want to stay for two full weeks? Is there a reason you want a smallish hotel room for that period of time? For the same price you could find a really beautiful apartment with at least four times as much space.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 08:13 AM
melinda17

Patrick..thanks for your input. Yes, I got a Very good rate. Why not an apartment?...well I would feel compeled to cook and clean!...not what I want to do on vacation. We wanted a nice hotel where we would feel comfortable; not overly fancy or stuffy, for a long stay. We booked a suite(bedroom, separate sitting room)with a private terrace on the fifth floor. Sounds lovely.

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 08:22 AM

OK, I never feel compelled to clean or cook when I'm in an apartment, but I understand your point.

But there is one mistake in your post when you explain what you have reserved. You say "it looks lovely". I think you're wrong. IT LOOKS SPECTACULAR, NOT JUST LOVELY!!! Top floor suite with separate sitting area, a private terrace, and pampering by that wonderful staff? Could it get any better?
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Melinda,
Where did you find the rate? Thanks.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 02:22 PM

Please do tell where you got a good rate for the suite. The best I got was 250 euro for a standard double plus 60 euro extra for an extra bed. Breakfast is extra for 30 euro per person for American buffet or 20 euro per person for continental breakfast. And we are three in all so that will be pretty expensive.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 08:06 PM

The one thing I never did at Raphael was to have breakfast at the hotel. It was very expensive. And why would I want to? One block away is Piazza Navonna where you can get wonderful coffee, fresh juice, and great pastries for a fraction of the prize and a billion dollar atmosphere to go with it.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 10:03 PM

We usually eat breakfast at the hotel mostly for our convenience. But even if we could afford the room rate at the Raphael, breakfast would be at a cafe. Imagine paying 90 euro per day for the buffet multiplied by four days or so. We could use our money in a better way.