Search

Hotel Pulitzer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Pulitzer

Have any of you had any experience trying to sleep a 4th person in the room at the Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam??? They say they can accommodate three but we REALLY had our hearts set on staying here and just can't handle two rooms. Our kids don't mind "camping".
Thank you!
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 06:22 PM

Does the hotel allow you to put a fourth person in? Often if the hotel room is a triple, the fire code prohibits any extra people.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 06:26 PM

You will need to check with the hotel to see if they will allow you a fourth person in the room. They have very strict fire codes in the hotels in Europe.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Ouch - didn't really think of the fire-code aspect...
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 09:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Fletcher,

The Pulitzer is in an excellent location so I can understand why you want to stay there. I have seen the common areas but not the rooms. I have heard they are very variable there as it is a group of connected canal houses - lots of long hallways and steps (I actually fell down the stairs here on the way to the ladies room... hadn't been drinking!)

So, the rooms at P. can be quite small and dark I have heard unless you are lucky. Plus, hotels in a European city will not have the standard "double-double" like in the US. I don't know how old your kids are but it could be really, really tight with not a lot of "camping" space. In Europe, when all 4 of us travel, we usually have to do the extra room. And yes, they may not "allow" you to have both kids in there...

Good luck and perhaps they have one room at a lower price (ie a single) next to a regular room that you could swing?

g.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 04:33 AM

Ive stayed there - most Adam hotels are cramped but our room there was spacious. Problem giving about advice is that the rooms vary - the hotel is composed of a group of old houses.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:40 AM

I they say 3, then odds are there's only enough bedding for 3. I'm sure they do have rooms for 4, but they probably aren't available. Maybe you should considr staying elsewhere and periodically checking with the pulitzer to see if there's a cancellation. We stayed (with our 2 kids) in a quad at the Estherea a few years ago. Our room had a queen bed and a king sized murphy bed. There was plenty of room, especially with the murphy closed, and the hotel was charming and in a great location.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Weekender

I have stayed at the Pulitzer a couple of times. It really is a unique property. Trying to find your room is half the fun of staying there. Rather like a maze. The location cannot be beat.

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Is the hotel aware that the 3rd & 4th persons are children? That does make a difference in a lot of situations; not sure about here but definitely worth checking on that.

Have stayed at the Pulitzer several times and have had good sized rooms and nothing I would characterize as "dark". It is a nice hotel, and not far from my most favored, the Ambassade.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope I didn't unintentionally sound negative about the Pulitzer. It would be my first choice when I return to Amsterdam. I was just warned to ask for a bright room as a few Tripadvisor reports mentioned they were in very small rooms facing a dark courtyard. I have also read reports of people with large bright rooms as well...
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 06:41 PM

I stayed at the Pulitzer this past May in a twin room -- two single beds. The room was quite large, just off the lobby so no dealing with stairs or elevators. We had a sliding door to the garden/patio -- the room was bright and quiet. I understand the uniqueness of the property causes them to have a wide variety of rooms and views. If you can work it out, this is a lovely place to stay. You'll see mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, though. P.S. Breakfast was very, very expensive, but wonderful. Extensive enough to skip lunch. You can see some of my photos at http://travelswithdiane.homestead.com/2007holland2.html including a photo of our room.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Wow - wonderful journal. Thank you for sharing!
Babs