Hotel Pollera Krakow

Feb 11th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Pollera Krakow

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Pollera in Krakow? I am looking for a well located (near to the central area but within walking distance of the train station), moderately priced (less than $100US) hotel with some character, comfortable beds and a shower. If it includes a good breakfast, that would be an added plus.

Any other suggestions are great too! Thanks!
Feb 11th, 2003, 04:03 PM

We stayed there about 4 years ago and were pleased. We had a huge room for the 3 of us. Fine location--we walked everywhere. The hotel common areas have much more character than the rooms, although ours was more than acceptable. Just to let you know, we usually stay in pensions, gasthauses, 2* hotels and the like so we are not used to the luxurious. I think you'll be fine.
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:28 PM

I liked it well, and breakfast (and all meals) are good. The public rooms have a pleasantly dated, thirties, literary, feel. I think it has no lift, which could be a slight drawback

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe

[email protected]
Feb 12th, 2003, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Hotel Pollera was booked for some of the nights so I'm booking Hotel Polonia instead which I saw several recommendations for on this board. It also looks close to the train station, is 71 euro per night. It doesn't include breakfast but I imagine there are many options for good breakfasts in Krakow.
Feb 12th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Gino

Kristi,
Too bad about not getting into the Pollera, we have always enjoyed staying there along with their food and location.
If the hotel Polonia doesn't work out, you may want to check out the Hotel Europejski also located near the train station.
Good luck.

Feb 12th, 2003, 08:33 AM

Kristi, Last May when we stayed at the Hotel Polonia, we were able to purchase breakfast meal tickets for two US dollars each. These were purchased when checking in, or on each day, your choice. It was a very good deal since the breakfasts there were hearty. We did that for two of the days and the other two days we went out to breakfast, which made for a nice variety. Kathy
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Kathleen, is the Polonia close enough to the train station to walk with wheeled luggage? Were you happy with the hotel? Safe after dark? They did have availability so I did go ahead and book a room.

Were there good places to eat in the area around the hotel?
Feb 12th, 2003, 09:39 AM

Kristi, The Polonia is a wonderful and charming hotel. I've raved about it often in past threads. It's two minutes from the train station, and an easy walk with a wheeled carry on, which is what I have.
Here's a good web site for restaurants in Krakow.
http://www.fema.krakow.pl/~restaura/index_e.htm
I'll look through my notes tonight and post the name of some of the places where we've eaten tomorrow--especially the name of the bakery on the street leading to the town square.
We never felt unsafe returning in the evening, although we don't usually stay out that late. Krakow made a big impression on me--it's a great city.
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathleen, I think this sounds like a great place for us. That was probably the quickest I've ever booked a hotel. I'll look forward to your restaurant recommendations, esp. a good bakery!

If you have any pointers on daytrips, I'd love to hear them as well. We will probably try to get out to the salt mines, Auschwitz/Birkenau and maybe Zakopane if we have any additional time. Wondering if it's best on the bus, train, guided tour or hiring a private guide for the day.
Feb 12th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Not the station square, but Glowna station itself, has pickpockets who work in gangs of three: two crowd you while the third picks your pocket. So ten minutes before I arrive I put a little cash in my pocket, and all else, credit cards, passport, tickets, most money, into a packet in my suitcase, where it stays firmly until I am in the hotel reception area.

[email protected]
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:56 AM

Kristi and anyone else who’s interested,
Restaurants: some of our picks, and most from the Lonely Planet Krakow book.

We would usually enter the walled city from our hotel through the Florian gate, and proceed to town center on the always very crowded pedestrian street of ul Florianska. This street has the extraordinary bakery ,La Croissanterine Fleury Michon. It’s not only a great breakfast place but serves all kinds of foods for lunch. We’d get various items, and take them with us to eat, picnic style, in the Town Square while listening to the bugle call from St. Mary’s church at noon. Be sure to go inside this magnificent church to view the extremely colorful interior and to get up close to the intricate Gothic style high altar. The street also has a convenient Internet café, down a long sidewalk between two of the buildings and a great bar for evening drinks on the way back to the hotel—Jama Michalika.

In the area south of Wawel castle, in a section called Stradom, we ate at the restaurant Chlopskie Jadlo. It served great Polish cuisine, and was decorated with interesting Old World peasant style furnishings. And, I remember that my husband had one of his usual favorites--pierogies. They were filled with wild mushrooms, and were cooked “Russian style”, which in various ways, were very different than the Polish pierogies he grew up with in PA, USA, those usually filled with cabbage, potato, and/or cheese. Good beers served.

For a more elegant dinner, we tried the Wierzynek, 2nd floor. It’s a gracious place, great Polish cuisine, good service, atmosphere, and charm. It’s right off the main town square. I honestly can’t remember what we had, but we liked it, and we did have wine with it. The wine was okay, nothing special. After this occasion we stayed with beers.

Not far from the Czartoryski Museum (inside and not to miss, is the famous Da Vinci “Lady with Ermine” painting) there’s another very good Polish cuisine restaurant, but the name escapes me. We found it by accident as we wondered through the area. It has a corner location. Try to find it if possible from this sketchy description. Hope this is helpful on your visit to Krakow.

Feb 14th, 2003, 06:52 AM

Hi Kristi,
Staying in Polonia you will have only a minute walking to Szpitalna str. where is Restaurant-Bar “ Sasiedzi”- good food for about 3-7 USD per person. Next door is very cheap bar with graffiti painted on the walls and a little more expensive “Australian Restaurant. ‘ Also, restaurant of Polonia Hotel has great “pierogi “ – dumplings and “ golabki “, typical Polish food , really inexpensive. My favorite restaurant was “ Morskie Oko” with it’s fantastic “bigos” and vodka “ Zubrowka “, taste like at home and you can listen live mountain music .
To hire independent tour guide feel free to contact: [email protected]
The center of Cracow is safe , but if you have bad luck could happen something what ben haines described .
Feb 18th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions and other tips, much appreciated! The restaurants all sound lovely, I will be sure and try the bakery for breakfast as it's not included in our rate.