Hotel Peloponnese please

Search

Hotel Peloponnese please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Peloponnese please

I've just finalised our plans for our trip, next June. All very predictable, but we're no spring chickens and wanted to fit things in!

Athens (2), Delphi (1), Peloponnese (2), Mykonos (2), Santorini (1), Crete (7)

Can anybody please recommend a nice hotel in the Peloponnese, which will be a useful base from which to visit Mycenae etc? We'll need to get to Piraeus for the afternoon ferry to Mykonos, the following day. I'm thinking the Corinth area?

Many thanks.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 10:16 AM

There is a lovely hotel in Nafplion called the Amphitryon. It's a member of Leading Hotels of the World - just search Greek hotels from the www.lhw.com website. We stayed there in Sept 2005 and would highly recommend it. Nafplion is a lovely town and makes a nice base for traveling in the area. While I don't recall the exact distance, it wasn't too far from Athens either so it might fit the bill nicely. Hope that helps - enjoy your trip - it's a truly fabulous area!
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 11:30 AM

I also recommend staying in Nafplion, it took us 2 and a quarter hours to drive there from Athens. It is a lovely place to stay, has lots of interest within the town and in easy reach of a number of ancient sites. Mycenae and Ancient Corinth could be visited en route. We intended to stay here:

http://www.ilionhotel.gr/
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Another vote here for Nafplion. It's a nice town with some lovely scenery, and it's within easy striking distance of Mycenae, Corinth, Tiryns, etc.

Not sure if I'd recommend the nice little B&B we stayed at, as I suspect you would probably prefer better accessibility than it offers. But there are plenty of good places to choose from. Enjoy!
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, guys! Nafplio it is! The hotels mentioned are gorgeous, but a little expensive for us, so I've booked us in at the Latini Hotel (top floor suite), which should be perfect for us!

Thanks again!
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 07:58 AM

wildblue: We really did enjoy our stay in the Peloponnese several months ago. Our trip report (with pix) can be found here:

http://www.onelittleworld.com/greece_1.html

Hope it helps!
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

http://www.onelittleworld.com/greece_1.html

How beautifully written!! Thank you very much, I've enjoyed your full report very much! I think we're going to find your restaurant finds very useful! "howling lap-child" - oh, yes, aren't they a joy!

I find it interesting reading Americans' reports on your visits to Europe. We're in the UK, but are quite well travelled in Europe (though never been to Greece) and yet, the odd thing is that we feel more at home when we visit the USA - and I don't think that's just because of the common language.

We were in Chicago in June - lovely city. I hesitate to give the url to my trip report, as it is nowhere near as well written as yours! I got lazy with my notes! However, http://www.francesjane.com/usa08.html
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Thanks for your kind words, WBY. I'm glad to help. And I'm very glad you enjoyed our fair city in June. I loved your pictures!

I actually worked in the Sears Tower for about 5 years. It was hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and made awful noises on windy days.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Yes, LOVED Chicago. I'd always wanted to go and it didn't disappoint!