Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Panda (Spanish Steps) vs. Hotel Cavour (Termini)

Feb 8th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Panda is 2 blocks away from Spanish Steps, whereas Hotel Cavour is about 300 meters from Termini. Both 2 star-hotels seem to have decent reviews, but which one has more of a "Roman" feel to it?? Is it truly, really better to stay near Termini as some people suggested (abundant transportations, cheaper foods, more things to do, etc.) You see, I have to catch a train to Venice in the morning (7am from Termini) after 4 days in Rome. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Feb 8th, 2007, 09:12 PM

Allie, I'm going to my first trip to Rome so what I'm about to say is based on research and advise from other Fodorites (but I'm sure you'll get more hands on opinions than my second hand ramblings): Spanish Steps is a more central location than the Termini. Hotel Panda gets good reviews for the price. I've read that it depends on which part of the Termini you're staying as there's a nicer part and a more seedy part (again, this is second hand info). For what its worth, we're staying at a hotel by the Spanish Steps (issues with having a toddler and we needed a central location for afternoon naps).

Good luck!
Feb 9th, 2007, 12:33 AM

Hi Allie - Whoever told you it's better to stay near the station? It's hardly the most attractive part of town ...

A 07.00 train from Termini is no great problem from Piazza di Spagna. Termini is only 3 stops (- 7/8 mins) on the metro from Spagna.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Feb 9th, 2007, 12:45 AM

o shucks! i just booked a room at Planet29 near termini - as i thought it'd make sense to stay near the station since we arrive in Rome really early in the morning after a 13 hr flight!
Please tell me it's not THAT bad!
Feb 9th, 2007, 05:47 AM
DRJ

I've stayed at the Panda several times and will again in April. DO NOT accept a "small room" if offered. You will discover what "small" means.
Feb 9th, 2007, 05:57 AM

sasha--There's a good chance that your room won't be ready if you're arriving so early. Choose your location based on how you will be spending ALL your time in Rome, not just based on your arrival.

Similarly, alliecat can take a metro or taxi for that early train. The Spanish Steps is a much better area for your 4-day visit.