Greek Islands in June

Search

Greek Islands in June

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek Islands in June

I am thinking of booking a trip to Greece for June. I have read that summer is crazy in the isles, but know that most Europeans take their vacations in July and August. How is June in terms of weather and crowds?
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Hi Haz - I often go in June - it's an ideal time to go for weather and not too crowded.

Steve
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:29 AM

I have to agree, June is ideal - which is why I'm spending the first 2 weeks in June this year in Ithaca and Kefallonia! The weather is plenty hot enough, rain unlikely and the children should still be at school, so the mass crowds aren't there. May is lovely too, with more wild flowers to be seen but the weather can be a little more changeable.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Since both have you have been to the islands before, which island would you say is the best for a first-timer?
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:10 AM

The "crazy" crowds in Greece start arriving in late-June and increase to "insane" levels until the end of August. Early June is still relatively calm and not yet too crowded. June weather is excellent and the sea is warm enough for swimming.

As a first-timer DON'T miss Santorini.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:32 AM

It really depends on what your interests and preferences are - beach holiday, visiting ruins, mountain villages and whether you want to tour or be based in one place. As we visit from the UK, most of our trips have been on cheap and cheerful package holidays - we then hire a car and tour the area. We have done one fly drive though, which was also very enjoyable.

We have developed a preference for quieter resorts, somewhere where there is plenty to explore within an hour or two drive, with nearby beaches for lazy days in between. With that in mind, my recent favourites are on the mainland. We had a lovely relaxing week in Finikounda on the Peloponnese - these are my pictures from that area, the 2nd link is from my fly drive of the Peloponnese last year:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/166201/index.html

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/296138/index.html

We also like Parga - http://www.parga.com/ has some good pictures. This area also has a good mix of beaches, mountains, ruins and other places of interest to visit.

There are so many islands to choose from, you could spend a lifetime of holidays exploring them - I've clocked up a few in the last 15 years and enjoyed them all and I've still got a long "to do" list!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

I prefer to bok my own travel arrangements, as we are independent travellers, but the islands are overwhelming.

Do you think I would be best served going with an agency or can I book this on my own?
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:01 AM

You can book it on your own if you want to take the time. If not, pay someone else to do it for you.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 01:56 PM

I always travel in June, not too busy and plenty of ferries, not too hot, and I have been going to the Greek islands for decades, never book anything.
Ferry tickets only need to be purchased when you need them, accomodation you will always find something decent on arrival.
Just choose any island you like the look of, don't let people bamboozle you into any particular island as being the best, they won't really know unless they've been to 70+ islands....
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Hazard, I just answered your ferry query in lengthy detail, so if I'm terse here, it is not to dismiss your request, just to suggest a startling concept.

Look through a guidebook. Look through SEVERAL guidebooks. I have a full shelf, yet I buy new ones every year. It is not necessary even to buy one -- the public libraries in any good-size town have a variety.

To form a general opinion of the islands, I suggest the Eyewitness Guide to the Greek Isles because it is so well-illustated both with photos and color schematic drawings of attractions (such as ancient ruins). It is not useful for recommendations on restaurants & lodging...there are others for that.

THe Lonely Planet and "Rough GUides" are good for candid comments about the type of tourism you will find on particular isles.

When you've selected ones you like, (and I gather you like Sifnos & Santorini), then you can ask specifics about same, and postings will be more helpful.