Notices

Hotel near Gare de Lyon

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel near Gare de Lyon

I will be in Paris for 2 nights before having to take a train to Fontainebleau. Could anyone suggest a nice hotel for a single lady near the station or any other ideas of where to stay not too far away.
Thanks.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:39 AM

These have good comments on Tripadvisor.com (we stayed in the Novotel several years ago). You don't have to stay right by the train station, though, unless you're leaving very very early - it has metro connections.

Hotel Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon - 2 rue Hector Malot
http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-1735...on/index.shtml
(we stayed here a long time ago and it was very nice)

Holiday Inn Paris - Bastille - 11 rue Lyon
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/parba

Hotel Viator - 1 rue Parrot
www.paris-hotel-viator.com
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:58 AM

I stayed alone for a couple of nights at the Best Western Hotel Aurore close to the Gare de Lyon because of its proximity to the station. The hotel was fine with comfortable rooms and good security. I booked my rooms through www.hotels-paris.fr. I think I paid less than 60 euros per night in August 2006.

I wouldn't descibe the area around Gare de Lyon as lovely but I overlooked that because of the convenience. Deborah
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:28 AM

The most unbelievable restaurant for interior glamour is the Train Bleu at the Gare de Lyon, IMO. We've dined there 4 times. Lots of singles too.

We spent 3 weeks in Paris in Sept/Oct. Although the Train Bleu was not noted to have "superior" food, our meal (I had Dourade) this year was better than many of the restaurants we tried that appeared on several critics' "must try" list. We usually spend 2 months in France each year - so that's about 40 restaurant dinners per year for us.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 09:28 AM

I would suggest staying nearby in the Marais or Bastille area--it's a very short, inexpensive cab ride to the Gare de Lyon from there or there are bus or metro connections as well. I think that would be a little more interesting and central for sightseeing than the area right near the station.

What's your definition of "nice"? I stayed at a *really* nice hotel on my most recent solo visit (Pavillon de la Reine on the Place des Vosges in the Marais) and it was lovely, but it's on the pricey side. What's your nightly budget in euros?
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

I will check out these suggestions.
NWWanderer, I looked at your suggestion and it is lovely but much too pricey for me. This will be for mid-January and I wanted to spend about 100 Euros a night. But it gave me pleasure just to look at that lovely hotel. I will keep looking.

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:23 AM

I don't think you need to stay right by a train station; they typically are not the best parts of town.

I'd pick a better neighborhood and simply allow a bit of extra time to get back for your train.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM

I understand--it took me years to decide to splurge for that hotel--I've walked by it on many trips and finally decided to splurge for my 50th birthday ;-). So something to aspire to for another trip perhaps ;-).

In your price range, I'd suggest trying the Hotel Castex--I've stayed there before and it's a very decent 3 star on the side of the Marais that's closer to the Bastille and Gare de Lyon. I just looked at their website and it looks like their promotional rates for single rooms range from 80-120 euros.

http://www.castexhotelparis.com/
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Mercure sits on top of the train station.

It is one of the many Accor hotels in the area -- one of them is sure to be in your price range.

www.accorhotels.com

Gare de Lyon is in the 12th arrondissement if you don't know where to click on a map.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:22 PM

Did I miss something or there are two gares in Lyon>?
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:38 PM

Gare de Lyon is in Paris. Part Dieu & Parrache are in the city of Lyon. There may be another in Lyon.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM

Author: kerouac
Date: 01/02/2009, 03:33 pm

Gare de Lyon is in the 12th arrondissement if you don't know where to click on a map.

Actually, it's in the 12th whether you do or not. But maps.google.com will pinpoint it instantly.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

OK. Thanks to all the suggestions I am looking at these three hotels.
www.castexhotelparis.com/
www.paris-hotel-viator.com
www.hotelparisrivoli.com/

Does anyone have any preferences between these.

Also what would the approx. taxi fare be from the Rivoli Hotel which is near Hotel de Ville to the Gare De Lyon.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:10 PM

I do not know what I was thinking of course I am
familiar with la Gare de Lyon, in Paris I guess I was thinking in Spanish, la Gare de Lyon...?

In Lyon, it is" Gare de Lyon Perrache" and

"Lyon Gare Le Part Dieu"??? or may be I am wrong again?

In Paris none of the six or seven gares include at all the word Paris in their names, or am I wrong..?

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:47 PM

Paris Nord
Paris Est
Paris St-Lazare
Paris Austerlitz
Paris Montparnasse
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:09 PM

I'm not familiar with the other two hotels but based on location alone, I'd go for either Castex or the Rivoli. The latter might be noisier however since Rue de Rivoli is a busy street. I have stayed at the Hotel de Nice on Rue de Rivoli and had a room facing the back which wasn't as noisy. It's more of a budget place than the Castex however--a 2 star.

I took a cab between Gare de Lyon and Place des Vosges on my trip in Septemeber and it was less than 10 euros with tip--can't remember exactly how much however. A cab from Hotel de Ville should be roughly the same but it can depend on time of day and the amount of traffic of course.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:13 PM

I always thought of Gare du Nord ,Gare de Lyon, Gare de
l'Est...etc....