Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Gare de Lyon to Place des Vosges late evening?

Notices

Old May 26th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Reference the thread I just saw about those who love to travel but hate to plan Ė I love to travel and love to plan almost more! So Iím planning now Ö.. Iíll be visiting Vaux-le-Vicomte this fall while Iím in Paris, and staying for the candlelight evening (yes, I want to). I could opt for staying in a local hotel overnight and going back to Paris the next morning, or taking a late train back the same night.

I see that thereís a train at 10:19 and one at 10:49 from Melun station, arriving at Gare de Lyon at 11:12 and 11:42 respectively. The apartment Iíll be in is just beyond (less than half a block past) Place des Vosges, and that, I think, makes it about a km. from Gare de Lyon.

Will I --woman in good health, though not an athlete, 66 years old by then, so not worried about rapists, just muggers, etc.-- be ok walking home alone from GdL to my apartment at that hour of the night? Itís an awfully short distance for a taxi! I presume thereíll be a lot of people walking around at that hour on a Saturday night, or wonít there?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Sandy
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure you'll be fine, but if you don't feel like walking you can take the 29 bus.
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's actually not that short of a walk. I lived just near the Place des Vosges and to walk from there to the Gare de Lyon takes a good 1/2 to45 minutes - and that is when you know the way and are moving at a good clip. Also, it is not the greatest area of Paris, just around the train station. Just take a taxi. That's what they are there for !

-Kevin
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd walk that and as you are aware, Rue de Lyon (I think that's the name)that leads from Lyon Station to Place Bastille (then to Place des Vosges) is a large busy street so it should not be a problem, then again I'm a man. Women who know the area might have different take on this.
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kevi, it must have been a longtime since you lived there. I walk always from Gare de Lyon to Places des Vosges and it takes about 15 minutes (just hand luggage and I'm rather a fast walker though.)
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies. It sounds overall as though it should be no big deal, so I think that's what I'll do.

Thanks again,

Sandy
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's safe but the two locations are not as close as you believe. There's about a mile and a half of walking between them. This equates to about half an hour for most people. Good for your health and wallet but still a fair stroll.
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anthony, you're right -- very good for my health. As long as it's safe, then I definitely need the walk!
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You also could take the No. 1 line of the Metro from the Gare de Lyon to the St. Paul stop and walk from there. I ride that line frequently at night.
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Anthony, it seems it's NOT as far as you might think. I know it's a easy walking distance as I have done it many times but had no idea exactly how far the two points are in km. So I put Place des Vosges and Gare de Lyon on mappy.com and got 1,4km. Couldn't it be correct? Then it's less than a mile. A mile is 1,6 km, isn't it?. I can agree for some leisurely walkers, it might take 20-30 min (though never 45 min). With 30 min, I can even make a few tourist stops at Place Bastille, etc ;-)
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dave_in_Paris, I feel so silly not to have thought of the Metro. The Saint-Paul station is really close! Guess I could do it either way -- walking or riding. In any case, I definitely DON'T need to stay in Melun, which was my undesired alternative.

Thank you!
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remember that you are not flying from the station to the apartment; you have to walk along city streets. And that will certainly be well over a mile. If you walk at 3 mph, that's between 20 and 30 minutes.
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anthony, that's ok. I'll certainly be walking for more than 30 minutes at a time during the day; guess I can do it at night. My real concern was safety, and that doesn't seem to be in question. Thanks,

Sandy
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll take the response in a different direction as I've been to Vaux-le-Vicomte for the candlelight evening. Keep in mind that the castle is quite a distance from the Melun station.

We opted to spend the evening and are very happy we did. How are you going to get from the Melun station to the castle?

I don't know of any public transportation that late from the castle to the Melun station as we actually rented a car. Just some "food for thought". Have a nice trip!!! Mike
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Barbmike, I understand that when I arrive at Melun station I can reserve a taxi to pick me up at the chateau in the evening. I contacted the chateau and they told me this is what I should do.
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and the shuttlebus runs on weekends, though there's only one trip to the chateau, at 12:10. Since I can't take it back to the station if I stay for the evening, that's why I asked about taxis and was told I could reserve one.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Sandy