Reload this Page >

What to do for a couple hours near Gare du Lyon/Gare Bercy

Notices

Old May 19th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be landing in Paris at 11AM & can take the Air France bus to Gare du Lyon. If I'm really lucky, I can catch the 1:38 train to Auxerre. But I really doubt that I'll be that lucky.

The next train isn't until 4:39 and it leaves from Gare Bercy. If I'm running really late, I can cath a 5:37 train from Gare du Lyon.

Any suggestions on what I can do for a couple hours? I was thinking of picking up a falafel sandwich & going over to Place des Vosges but thought someone might have a better suggestion.

Thanks!
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:06 AM

You can do that, or else walk up rue de Lyon across from the station to Place de la Bastille, where there is always something going on.

Or else walk along the "Viaduc des Arts" -- all of the artisans installed under the arches of the old train viaduct. Or else walk on top of the viaduct, which is the famous "Promenade Plantée" -- and this is the best time of year to see it.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Parc de Bercy is nearby. It's a lovely place to walk and there are some good places to get something to eat. Here's a link to more info: http://www.paris-walking-tours.com/parcdebercy.html And here's a link to some of my photos from Parc de bercy: http://gardentouring.fotopic.net/c790134.html

Old May 19th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Everything I was going to suggest has already been suggested, except to suggest that you spend a little while having a drink in the bar at Train Bleu in the Gare de Lyon. The decor is over the top.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:45 AM

At the end of Bercy Parc (the point furthest from the center of the city) you'll find Bercy Village, which is a trendy shopping area developed from the old wine warehouses. Bercy Parc is one of my very favorites in Paris. Even my husband who tends to distrust modern things, preferring the tried and true, old-fashioned approach, thinks it's quite nice.
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great suggestions.

Parc de Bercy sounds perfect. Very close (I probably won't want to travel much between the air flight & the train trip) but I'll get the wonderful sensation of realizing that I really am in Paris.