Hotel Muguet -or-Grand Hotel Leveque

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Indecisive

Hotel Muguet -or-Grand Hotel Leveque

Have you stayed at either of these two hotels. I have heard alot of good things about the Muguet, but not much about the Grand Leveque. I would love to hear from someone who has experienced both, or at least one. THANKS

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Bill Fleites

I have used the Muguet and can highly recommend it. The rooms are decent size, with very good beds and furniture as well as modern bathrooms. The hotel and it's rooms are very clean, and the staff couldn't be friendlier and helpful. It is on a residential side street that is very close to Rue Cler, nearby there's a local supermarket where you can buy picnic supplies as well as a laundrymat should you need to clean your clothes. Search on this forum and you'll see that the Muguet is very well regarded.

The Leveque also gets high marks on this forum and being a Rick Steves recommendation it is very hard to get into. I've walked past it several times and it is right smack in the middle of Rue Cler so I would be a little bit worried about stree noise, specially in the morning as vendors open up their stores.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Book Chick

Bill's point is well-taken; if you have luggage, the Leveque is definitely not the better choice. There's a fromagerie very close to the back of the Leveque, so sometimes you're dealing with odors if you have a back room. If you're in a front room, you have all the market folks, setting up early.

A good friend of mine, who's judgement I really trust, has said the Muguet is wonderful, and the next time I'm in Paris, I'll probably stay there.

Bon Voyage,
BC

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Betsy

My husband and I have stayed in both. The Muguet is a little nicer and a little more expensive. Our room had a view of the top half of the Eiffel Tower. The Grand Leveque was a terrific bargain. We stayed there on a second trip when the Muguet was booked. Our room overlooked a small courtyard--no traffic noise, no cheese odor, no view. I wouldn't have wanted to stay in a room at the front overlooking rue Cler because the street becomes very noisy in the early morning. We loved walking out the front door of the hotel right onto rue Cler.

Book Chick, I don't quite understand your comment about luggage making the Leveque not the better choice. What point did Bill make about luggage that you are referring to? Both hotels have tiny lifts.

I'd try for the Muguet first and if it's full, then the Leveque would be a good choice. I'd stay at either again.

Bon voyage

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Michelle

Dear Indecisive:

(Hi Bill, it's me again.) My husband and I first stay at the Hotel Leveque in 1990 with a very small wine tour group. This was before we had ever heard of Rick Steves. The hotel was fair to middling, but on the very charming Rue Cler. Our group of six were the only Americans in the hotel. Mostly French seeing the big city.

Fast forward to November 1994. Once again we stayed at the Leveque. It was all Americans staying there. I told the desk clerk about our experience in 1990. She said that since Rick Steves, all they have are Americans. We also thought the street had become more tourist oriented (not that there is anything wrong with that). The hotel was improved by 1994, and great for the price.

Now, with a better checkbook balance, I would probably upgrade a little. You would probably be OK with either choice.

Good Luck

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Mare

I've stayed in both for week long trips, and thought the decor of the Muguet was nicer and a bit more "upscale", although our room had less storage space than at the Leveque. The Muguet was also much quieter.

We stayed in a front room at the Leveque, and it was a cheerful view but very noisy early in the morning. We had to switch to a back room for our final two nights (we knew this up front), and that room was smoky and gloomy. I would recommend a front room if you stay there, but you might want to bring ear plugs. Our room was plain, but certainly clean.

I would chose the Muguet over the Leveque, but you really can't go wrong with either one.