Hotel in Seville

Search

Hotel in Seville

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Seville

My daughter and I will be in Seville for 2 nights and have heard back from both La Casa de la Juderia and the Traverna del Alabardero that they have availability for us. Could anyone help me with this choice? Thanks.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:40 PM
Maira

There are approximately 20 posts relating relatively recent experiences with La Casa de la Juderia and 41 posts with experience accounts on La Taverna del Alabardero. Are you looking for additional specific information that would make it or brake it? Do you prefer to hear from people who has stayed at both? What is your preference criteria?

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Maira, I have just registered to use this website and I guess I haven't mastered the "how-to's"- I did see where you can narrow your search (I had been scrolling down "Europe", now am at least scrolling "Seville". I did find many mentions of Las Casas de la Juderia, but could not find any mention of Taverna del Alabardero. My criteria is pretty simple - I don't want to be disappointed with room, food, quietness, ambience, and hospitality in general. I am a fairly new traveler. Thank you for any insight you can shed.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:02 AM

La Casa de la Juderia will not disappoint you - absolutely wonderful! Enjoy Seville!!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:06 AM

Totally agree, great friendly staff, get them to bring CAVA up to the pool !
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:27 AM

Don't get confused with Las Casas del Rey de Baeza, that's the one with the rooftop pool !

Juderia will have one in the future, but it's still a long way.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:13 AM

JudyT,
While in Seville, I had a chance to spend some time in both hotels (but didn't spend the night in either), and they're both lovely, historic buildings. Even though the Taberna may have 1 more official gov't star, I think you and your daughter would be happier at the Casas de la Juderia, for these reasons:

It's much, much larger, now with around 100 rooms & suites (keeps expanding) compared to the Alabardero's 7 rms, 3 suites, which means if you are at first given a small or dark room, you can ask to be moved to a larger one. Andd posters say that room size does vary here, from smallish to large with sitting area or parlor-I'd pay a bit extra for a superior room. Some of the Alabardero's rooms are really lovely, a few aren't so grand and a bit dark and compact, as posters have reported, but you only have 10 choices.

I personally prefer the location of the Casas in the lovely Santa Cruz district. The area is just great for walking to all the sights and has a great feel to it. Zaragoza street, downtown, where the Taberna is, just doesn't seem (to me) as pretty or as highly atmospheric as the Casas' neighborhood and is further from the cathedral.

Also the Taberna has become very, very busy with all the things they're trying to do there-the upstairs formal restaurant (we dined there on Easter) and the private party/banquet rooms, the downstairs bar and bistro with live music some nights, the pastry shop and the hotel/restaurant school. And the gourmet restaurant and school take center stage. There's constant activity in the place, kind of hectic, busy from breakfast til late at night. This makes me think it would be less restful and private than the Juderia, which is a collection, an intermingling of tucked away noble homes with interior patios, and thus, quieter. As a hotel the Casas also have more public space-nice parlor areas and seating in the patios where you can read and plan your day's sightseeing. (But the Taberna does have a rooftop terrace).

Just some thoughts..
Hope this helps you a bit more with your decision.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 10:17 AM
aj

We returned from Seville several weeks ago and we loved Hotel Amadeus! It was as small, beautiful, with a musical theme. The colors and tile in the hotel were great and the staff friendly and helpful. We thought the location was great, we walked to every sight in Seville that we had wanted to see. I must say that our room was small but perfect and the white towels in the bathroom fluffy and thick. There was fresh fruit in the room and the air had a wonderful sweet smell.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 10:32 AM

JudyT,
I also liked very much what I saw at the Amadeus-small and within a short distance of the Casas. It's less expensive than the other 2 and on a more modest scale, but to us it seemed really sweet. Glad you enjoyed your stay there aj!
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Maribel, and others who responded...thank you so much for your comments...as it has turned out, while searching last night through all of the "talk", Casa Numero 7 stood out as a lovely place to stay and I was able to secure a room there for 2 nights. P.S. My daughter and I will also be driving from Madrid to Gijon (stay at the Parador there) then drive over to the Parador de Fuente-de in the Picos de Europa. (She was interested in northern Spain and the mountains). Is there something we shouldn't miss on our trek north and back to Madrid? Thank you for your comments.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:10 PM

JudyT,
If you've read a post of mine on the Casa 7, you know that it's my very favorite place to stay in Sevilla! It's perfect for us, but not the least bit "hotel" like-just like staying in someone's exquisitely decorated private home. I don't mention it often beacause it has only 6 rooms and always full. We think the "blue" and "yellow" rooms are the nicest.

I don't know how much time you've allocated to your trek north to Asturias and Cantabria from Madrid-I hope you don't plan to do it in a day. There are many lovely spots to visit. I would make a special point to make a stop in León, one of my favorite Castilian cities, to see the magnificent stained glass of the Gothic Cathedral, and Panteón de los Reyes and have a tapas lunch in the lively, atmospheric Barrio Húmedo behind the cathedral. León is just great. We splurged on 2 nights at the glorious Parador Hostal de San Marcos, a monument in itself, which would be a fantastic treat for both of you.
Can you fit in a night in León?
On your way to León, you'll pass Valladolid, at first glance a somewhat ugly city which often gets by-passed, but it has a magnificent National Museum of Sculpture (now temporaily housed in another building) in the Old Quarter. For me, this is one of Spain's finest small art museums. Its collection of 15-17th polychromed wood, incredibly life-like sculptures is quite impressive. But if you do Madrid-Gijón in a day, you wouldn't have time for a stop in both cities.
Since you didn't mention Segovia or Avila, I assume you plan to do one of them on a day trip from Madrid? In Avila, you can now walk 2 sections of the walls, and Avila has a lovely Parador. And Segovia is very, very special!

When we did the drive down to the Fuente De Parador in July the road was quite crowded, so I'd allow plenty of time. Also part of the drive through the gorge, the Desfiladero de la Hermida, along the Deva River, is narrow, dark and sinuous-not dangerous, but very, very slow going, especially in summer. It's safe, but one can't be in a hurry!
I would urge you to purchase the detailed Michelin 442 map for this trip. It will be invaluable to you. The drive from Fuente De back south to Castilla after Potes is VERY challenging (read white knuckle) through the Puerto de San Glorio section (and I had a very skilled driver). Better to go south on the 627 through Cervera de Pisuegra, which is mountainous but not so hairy. Just so you'll know...
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 05:07 PM

A couple of restaurant suggestions: near Las Casas de la Juderia: Modesto -absolutely superb shellfish and fried seafood. Moderate.

On the way north out of Madrid: In Sepulveda [ north of Pedraza } El Figon de Tinin el Mayor. A small town, off the beaten path, old restaurant [reputedly popular w/ Juan Carlos]. One menu: Lamb, salad, bread, and wine. You will not forget the experience.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Dear Maribel and Iweber: Thank you for your "posts" (I think I am getting the hang of this). I will try to get a Michelin 442 map to chart my course and include each of your suggestions. My daughter and I will probably leave Madrid Sunday morning and head north - have not planned on how far to drive and where to stay Sunday night, maybe Leon (the Parador) if it is available. We will be at the Parador in Gijon Mon and Tues nights then on to Parador de Fuentes-de for Wed and Thurs nights, then drive back to Madrid on Friday - we should have plenty of time for stops along the way. We would like to visit the little towns along the way. By the way, just how long is the drive from Madrid up to Gijon (how many hours)? This is my first driving experience internationally, so does anyone have any advice? Also, since we will be in Madrid, Toledo, Gijon, Picos de Europa, and Seville - how should I plan to dress in the different settings - how casual can you get in smaller towns and how dressy do you need to be in Madrid and Seville? I'm a sponge for information - so thank you for any help.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 07:19 PM

Hi Judy T,
Casual dress is fine up north during the day. Particularly in the cities, and especially in Madrid and Seville, Spanish women do dress up stylishly to go out at night.

I'll answer your other questions on your other "post" re driving to Gijon and Fuente De, so it won't get mixed up with Seville hotels in the archives.