Hotel in Santillana del Mar

Mar 17th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Hotel in Santillana del Mar

We are in the final planning stages of our Northern Spain trip...only two more months (you have to be happy with what you have )

I would like to know if anyone has recommendations for a hotel in Santillana del Mar. We will be coming from Bilbao and Santander. We will stay only for one night and then move on to the Liebana area.

I found some old postings but would like to hear something more recents.
Mar 17th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Hola Mari!!!

I was in Santillana last year and although I didn't stay in the Parador Gil Blas, I walked by it and it looked very nice right in the Plaza. I seem to remember that someone that was traveling in the north of Spain last year and posted here stayed there .

You must be getting so excited about your trip! Por favor, write a report when you come back. I'll be specially interested in how your Camino goes.
Mar 17th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cruise, You can count on the report when I come back! I have now confirmed a reservation for the Parador in Cangas de Onis...I'm so excited!!!!

I have found some older recommendations to Hotel del Organista and was wondering if anyone has been there recently.
Mar 17th, 2005, 08:06 AM

the 5 star "casa del marqués" looks fabulous.
Mar 17th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Mari,

You'll love the Parador in Cangas . Ask for a room in the older zone( they might call it zona monasterio). I think most rooms in the annex look over a parking lot and I remember guests complaining about this.

Lincasanova,

My memory might be faulty here but I think Maribel didn't like the Casa del Marques( can't remember why) . I'm going to try and find the post.

Mar 17th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Hi marigross and cruisluv,
Hope you have a wonderful stay in beautiful, green Northern Spain! I hope you enjoy your stay at the Parador in Cangas as much as we did. Although it's a km. or so outside of town, the setting facing the river is so pretty and tranquil. We attended a chamber concert in the tiny chapel while we were there and used it as a base to explore the Picos, to take a fabulous 12 km. hike down the Cares gorge and to visit the shrine of Covadonga and the lakes of Ercina and Enol above-spectacular vistas!
And cruisluv, I've just been trying to catch up on the entire year (!)on the Forum that I've missed and have really enjoyed your reports about your last summer's Northern Spain trip.

My favorite lodging in (very crowded by day) Santillana is the Parador Gil Blas. The former "annex" to the Parador is now simply called the Parador de Santillana. I've stayed in both, and while the annex (Parador) rooms are very comfortable, I don't find the public rooms to have any of the special charm that the Gil Blas, a coverted 16th century noble home, has. But we were last in Santillana on Santa Juliana's feast day, the last weekend in June, so the whole town was very, very lively (read noisy, noisy) and I did long for the relative quiet of the annex (tucked back in a corner) on that particular Sat. night.

I've looked 3 times at the 5 star Marques de Santillana, trying to like it more. The El Pais hotel critic didn't think it really met the 5 star standard when it first opened. Although it's a member of the Calidad de Cantabria group, whose boutique and historic properties I really like, I didn't find the Marques de Santillana staff particularly friendly or its decor prettier than that of the Gil Blas. I wouldn't spend the extra money (if for your dates the tariff is higher than the Gil Blas rate), and it's also on the main thoroughfare from the plaza to the Colegiata, so it's gets constant, heavy tourist foot traffic during the day (but the plaza in front of the Gil Blas is busy as well). Once the tour busses leave, the town quiets down considerably (except on June 29-30!)

La Casa del Organista, another "Calidad de Cantabria" property, I think, would be a nice option if the Parador Gil Blas is full.
www.calidadcantabria.com

(We're staying at a number of these properties in Cantabria this July)

For a budget property (under 100 euros), I like the cute little "boutique-ish" Hospederia Santillana, just steps from the plaza but on a street that doesn't get all the tourist traffic. www.periplo.com/hospederia

Happy travels in my very favorite part of Spain!
Mar 17th, 2005, 12:48 PM

A yr. away, and I can't get a name right.
The Casa del Marques is the hotel's proper title, as cruisluv wrote!
Mar 17th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Maribel you're back!!!!!!

What a great surprise! I can now directly thank you for the great help you were in planning my trip. I might be asking you for more help since I'm planning to go back this year!

Again, welcome back! íTe extrañamos mucho!
Mar 17th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Maribel! Great to hear from you, finally! I really hope you are feeling better ...

Mari, my sister has stayed a couple of times near Santillana in a nice place, but it is an agriturism with 5 or 6 converted apartments. I don┤t think it is what you were looking for, but if you are interested I can always ask her this Easter when I get back to Bilbao ( I have moved to Madrid ).

In Liebana we like a lot this place, La Casona de Baró http://www.lacasonadebaro.com/ The owner is extremely nice, good breakfast, great views and lovely rooms. For dinner, or simply tapas, Casa Cayo in Potes is quite good.

Rgds, Cova

Mar 17th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Marigross:

I stayed in Santillana Gil Blas last year, on Maribel's recommendation, and loved both the hotel and the town. I have a half-completed trip report on this site about my trip to Asturias and Cantabria last July. Click on my id and you will find it, or send me a note to [email protected] and I will send it to you.

If you have not done so already, please check out Maribel's website for the very best information on Spain that you could find - better than any guide book!:

http://www.maribelsguides.com/

Maribel: I am so happy you are back. You have inspired me with your love of Spain. Last year, I toured Extremadura, Asturias, Cantabria and the Basque region and your advice was priceless.

Regards Ger
Mar 17th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Hi cruiseluv and cova,
It's great to be back, finally, and thanks very, very much for your warm welcome. I've missed my Fodor friends a great deal.
cruiseluv,
I'd be really happy to help you with your trip where I can. We leave in a week for Navarra and the Rioja Alavesa, so I hope to have updated info about the new wineries/hotels and more sites to share upon return.

cova,
You've moved! This means that we'll be the recipients of even more terrific insider tips from cova on both cities! Hope the move was pleasant and that you're happy there.

We'll be in the Liébana in the Potes area mid-July and are debating between Posada del Bosque, a member of Calidad de Cantabria, right outside of Potes (ditto to the Casa Cayo for food) and the Casona de Baró-both look like they have extraordinary views. We want a smaller, cozier place than the Parador Fuente Dé where we've stayed before.
marigross,
cova and I have both enjoyed great dinners at the cozy and friendly restaurant of the Hotel del Oso in Cosgaya, between Potes and Fuente Dé. In the Liébana I loved visiting the sweet little 10th century Santa María de Líebana church. A young girl with enormous enthusiasm who volunteers there every day gave us a very detailed explanation of the history of the church. It's closed Mon. Don't miss it!

Mar 17th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Hi Ger!
Didn't see your greeting while posting mine!
Thanks so much. I missed "talking" with you on the forum. And I remember that we traveled to Extremadura at about the same time. I loved reading your wonderfully written report on your adventures there.
When I returned from our spring trip, I'll try to add a section on Galicia/Asturias/Cantabria to my web page, plus the Extremadura one I'm working on. If only I didn't have a day job...
Mar 17th, 2005, 11:03 PM

Maribel, I fully recommend the Casona de Baró.

We ended up (after having checked a couple of other options) there last September, and it was great. The owner is terrific, and she can explain you all about the remodelation works, about how they decided to buy the house... She lives in Madrid, and she is in Baro more or less full time during spring, summer and early autumn. During the rest of the year she drives up every weekend, and depending on how many people are staying during the week, she might stay there. Her youngest son has brain damage, and she is amazingly sweet with him, and so hard-working ...

On top of all that, she has a lot of taste, and the house is full of nice details. Candles in the rooms and everywhere, sweets, books in every landing step, fruit bowls, lots of good info about the area. Ana is certainly amazing ...

I am still landing in Madrid. Having had a lot of time to check out places, but I have already found a lovely cafe cum restaurant in Calle Almirante, similar to the ones in the Marais, and I think it will be worth checking it.

Rgds, Cova
Mar 18th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Maribel!!!!! I have printed out and read your old posts as well as your wonderful guide I am thrilled that you are back. I will post on a new thread my full itinerary and would love some feedback from you.

Ger, I am still waiting for the end of that report! I posted on it so I could keep track of any update.
Mar 18th, 2005, 05:44 AM

Maribel,
Welcome Back! We missed you!