Search

hotel in rome

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel in rome

My husband and I are planning a trip to Rome for the last week in March 2006. We are hoping to book a hotel soon. Our two favorites so far are Hotel San Carlo and Hotel Suisse, both near the Spanish Steps for approx. 150 euro/night. Does anyone have an opinon on which hotel is better? Or other hotels that we should consider?

Thanks.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 10:21 AM

I've never been to the Hotel Suisse but have stayed at the San Carlo several times, and would not hesitate to recommend it. The location is perfect, IMO, the hotel spotless, and the staff very friendly and helpful.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm glad to hear good things about the San Carlo. And I'm glad to hear that you like the location. I've never been to Rome (actually, I've never been to Europe), so I've been looking online and in guide books. It is always better to hear from someone who was actually there. Were you able to walk most places from the hotel or did you take the metro/bus/taxi? Also, you said the staff was helpful...did they speak English? We don't speak any Italian and might need some help since we're new to the city.

Thanks again for your help. If anyone else has anything to add I'd love to hear more opinons.

Kasey
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 01:06 PM

I can't give advice on these hotels specifically, but if they are close to the spanish steps you will be able to walk to basically all of the major sights (although some are further than others). The Vatican is on the west end of town, across from the river, walkable but a bit further, and the colliseum is sorta southwest but also walkable. Spanish Steps are close to the Trevi Fountain, main shopping areas, and not far from the Pantheon and the Piazza Navona.
Enjoy the trip, and please go to Giolitti for gelato (near the pantheon) -- it is EXCELLENT.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Hi,
Yes, chicagogirl2005 is right, it is near the Spanish Steps, you can walk just about everywhere without a problem. However, if it's raining or you're in a hurry, two cab stands and the Metro entrance are also very close to the hotel, so to me the location is perfect! And yes, most of the staff of the hotel is very fluent in English. They can give you a little map at the front desk, and if you ask they will also make restaurant suggestions, etc for you.

BC