Hotel 47, Rome

Feb 4th, 2009, 07:53 AM
WLS
Original Poster

Hotel 47, Rome

Does anyone have experience with this hotel or the area in which it is located?

Hotel 47
Via Luigi Petroselli 47
(Campidoglio is the area)

Thanks for you help!
Feb 4th, 2009, 08:20 AM

I don't know the hotel, but I know the location. It's convenient to the Campidoglio and the Capitoline Museums; the Mouth of Truth is very close; it's fairly convenient if you want to go up the Aventine Hill to Santa Sabina, the so-called "Orange Garden" and the famous keyhole view of St. Peter's from Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta.
It's pretty *in*convenient to anywhere else; restaurants and such amenities are not bountiful in the area. And Via Petroselli has to be one of the most soulless streets in Rome.
Feb 4th, 2009, 05:56 PM
WLS
Original Poster

Thank you so much Zerlina for your response. The hotel looks so nice online and gave me a good price for
our 5 night stay in March. How disappointing to hear that the location is inconvenient and the neighborhood uninspiring. I did look it up on the map but, never having been to Rome, I just couldn't tell. I am looking for a convenient, safe location for my 16 year old son and myself(Mom). Any suggestions? I have been looking at other posts but haven't found anything I am totally comfortable with yet.
Feb 5th, 2009, 03:22 AM
MTW

We stayed at 47 two years ago. I understand what Zerlina means about the street, in that there are not restaurants right outside of the hotel. However, we found the location to be very convenient to most parts of the city. We walked everywhere except Villa Borghese and Spanish steps (though we walked back from Spanish steps). It's a short walk across the river from Trastevere, which is full of great restaurants. It also practically backs into the Forum/Palatine Hill area and is a short walk to the Coliseum. Also a short walk to subway stop near Coliseum. Short walk for us is 15 min or less, BTW. Hotel also has a rooftop bar/lounge area, which was a great way to end a day in Rome, overlooking the city. Really depends on what you're looking for. We would stay there again.
Feb 5th, 2009, 07:23 AM
WLS
Original Poster

Thank you MTW for your words of experience. I picked Hotel 47 because an aquaintance had really enjoyed the hotel and was confused about Zerlina saying the location was not convenient when it looked as you describe on the map. Obviously one can't be close to everything and perhaps close enough to several things is just fine. Your input is reassuring. Thanks.
Dec 9th, 2011, 07:50 PM

We have just decided to try Hotel 47 on the recommendation of a friend whose opinion we trust highly. If you are looking for something more classically central, our erstwhile favorite hotel in Rome is the small but charming Hotel Due Torri. It is on a quiet cul-de-sac just 5 minutes from the Piazza Navona, near the River, a 15 minute walk to the Vatican. We like this hotel very much, has excellent breakfast and the rooms are charming if small. We decided to try Hotel 47 as a change because we like the convenience of a restaurant in the hotel and the person who recommends it has excellent taste. It is more expensive than the Due Torri which we think is very good value.
Dec 10th, 2011, 03:10 AM

We stayed very close to this in Hotel Arenula in February of this year. If you look on the map on the Hotel 47 website you will see that Via Arenula is the next major artery to the west.
I would go for Hotel 47 in terms of location.We were on the edge of the Ghetto and delighted to find on arrival that we were next door to a restaurant which someone here had described as her favourite in Rome- Al Pompiere. We were able to walk in here on our first night but by about 8 pm it was full.
The area was interesting and I found it easily accessible if you are willing to walk -and you don't go to Rome to travel everywhere on public transport.We even walked back here from the Stadio Flaminio which is about 15 minutes the other side of Piazza del Popolo.
The Hotel was not our first choice. We had booked almost a year before in the Santa Maria in Trastavere having seen it recommended here.Four days before we were due to depart they cancelled us because of "hydrolic" problems. We had to try and find 3 double rooms for 3 nights for that weekend.We had not booked the Santa Maria as any old place to lay your head and didn't want any replacement to be on that basis either. That is how we ended up in Hotel Arenula, but we liked the location-as that is one of the things that your post was asking about.
We all said we would stay here again.