Hotel for departure from Zurich

Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Hotel for departure from Zurich

Hi all
We have a flight from Zurich airport at 9.15am on a Saturday. Arriving from Lucerne earlier....

Is it possible to stay the night in Lucerne and get a morning train to make in time for international departure?

Or stay near Zurich airport?

Thx
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:39 PM

i don't know offhand how long the train is from Lucerne to Z. airport.... but Zurich itself is about a 15-20 minute ride into the airport.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 04:12 PM

I just looked at my journal from last year and I noted it took 75 minutes to get from Zurich to Lucerne. Was I on a local? Can it be done in 15-20 minutes?

We stayed our last night at the Renaissance at Zurich Airport on points. It was very nice. Had a good Thai meal in their restaurant as our last dinner out on our vacation.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:01 PM

No, luvtotravel, there is no train that goes from Lucerne directly to the airport.

You need more than 90 minutes to get from Lucerne to the Zurich Airport: 75 minutes or so from Lucerne to Zurich's main train station, a few minutes' wait, then the 15-20 minutes on the train to the airport.

I'd spend the night in Zurich and take a cab or early train to the airport.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:55 PM

>No, luvtotravel, there is no train that goes from Lucerne directly to the airport.

Huh??? Of course there is.

>You need more than 90 minutes to get from Lucerne to the Zurich Airport: 75 minutes or so from Lucerne to Zurich's main train station,

Strange. SBB website says 50 min from Lucerne to Zürich HB, half-hourly- Every second train continues to the airport, taking overall 65 min from Lucerne to the airport.
It matches my experience.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:17 PM

Yes, it's possible.

Looking at the sbb.ch website, you'll find the following train schedule:

Luzern departure: 6.08
Zürich Hauptbahnhof (main station)
arrival: 6.56
Zürich HB departure: 7.07
Zürich Airport arrival: 7.16
Total time: 1 hour and 8 minutes

The timetable also provides the platform (gleis) you'll need to use. The platform information is not always correct so check the computer timetable as you arrive in Zürich.

There is a train leaving Luzern even earlier if the above suggested connection is too tight for you.

Enjoy Switzerland!