hotel for a day in Madrid

Nov 1st, 2009, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

hotel for a day in Madrid

We will be in Madrid in December for an 18 hour layover before continuing on to South Africa. We would like to find a hotel that will allow us to check-in about 8 AM and have it available during the day--to sleep or not depending upon how we feel. We would rather not be at the airport as we would like to revisit a few particularly favorite spots and at least have the opportunity to walk around the city and have our meals somewhere other than the airport. Any suggestions?
Nov 1st, 2009, 11:12 AM

Hello BarbWas, not having been to Madrid I can't offer a thought regarding any hotel but just wanted to mention that I had family members with the same type of situation when they were in Europe. They ended up paying for two nights at a hotel so that the room would be available when they arrived on an early morning flight.
Nov 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM

I've certainly read of people doing exactly what LoveItaly describes. Another option is that some hotels might offer you the chance for an early check-in if you are willing to pay a surcharge.

Also, if you do the two-night booking, make sure the hotel knows of your late arrival. Some people have reported doing this, and then the hotel cancels their booking because of the late arrival.

Apart from that, however, what sort of price range or amenities are you looking for? I stayed in two places in Madrid in September - Hotel Carlton and Hostal Gran Duque. The latter is much cheaper, but it was comfortable nonetheless. On a previous trip to Madrid, I stayed at Tryp Cibeles and they gave us an early check-in.
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

I think I'll try the request for an early check-in as I don't particularly feel like paying for two nights. The last time we were in Madrid we were allowed to check-in early upon arrival without any special requests. Hopefully, our luck will hold.
Haven't looked at hotel prices yet--this trip is last minute--but I will be looking for something around 150 euros probably.
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:57 PM

Take a look at www.solmelia.com . I hope Maribel comes along to suggest something, but of course look at her guides at www.maribelsguides.com if you have not.

Tryp Atocha might work well if you have in mind to visit the art museums.