Madrid Hotel Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions in hotel accomodations in Madrid? I have a layover of three days. Any suggestions on sites?
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 02:40 AM
car

Could you indicate price range?
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:40 AM

Search on the name "maribel", she's the Madrid expert and has a great file with all kinds of valuable info. We just booked the Carlos V for our family, but will not be going until April.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:42 AM

I see you already found her!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks MFNYC...
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Price range...aroung $100 per night (double occupancy). Is that reasonable? I am not sure what that gets me.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:23 PM
rcc

Just got back from Madrid about 1 week ago. The wife and I stayed at Hotel Gran Lope De Vega right in front of Museo Del Prado. It bills itself as the hotel for the arts. Great hotel, modern room amenities and conveniences, very comfortable, excellent location (for our needs) and a little bit over 100 Euro per night.

I picked this up reading past threads/suggestions by Maribel.

Maribel: I don't know you. I wasn't able to get hold of your famous files. But, thanks for a good suggestion, anyway.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:02 AM
car

There is a new hotel call hotel HH campomanes well located near the Royal Theatre, brand new ( opened for one month) with 30 rooms, offering double rooms at your price range.
you can check in www.hhcampomanes.com
The idea of boutique hotel , not too expensive looks interesting. I have not been there so if you do go please give us your report.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 06:28 AM

I stayed at the Carlos V last year, and didn't think much of it. I suggest you find another recommendation.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 09:24 AM

Heidi, Whay was Carlos V so bad?
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:20 AM

MFNYC, I think I responded to a similar question earlier, but here goes again. Our room was small and tired (worn out carpet, no closet, lumpy beds) but the bathroom was good. Unfortunately, we were around the corner from the elevator, which squeaked and groaned all night. I actually ended up wearing earplugs in order to get to sleep. Finally, the breakfast buffet was grand to the eye, but one of the basic elements, coffee, was weak and terrible. Breads were numerous in selection, but most were stale. The fruit was good, but that's about it. We actually skipped the free breakfast after the second morning because it was so unappealing. The location was great. No doubt about that.

I also had problems with my reservation, which I booked through the Best Western Web site. They inadvertently made a duplicate reservation, which I cancelled immediately, but they tried to charge me for it when I arrived. Fortunately, I had asked for a confirmation for the cancellation.

So, that was my experience at the Carlos V. I know others here have had a great time, but I probably wouldn't stay there again.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Thanks Heidi.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 04:46 PM

You might try Petrabax.com for Bancotel vouchers if you live in the U.S. I just booked several 4 star hotels with them for $63 a night (plus $25 for shipping the vouchers) thanks to the advise of many on this board. Good luck and have a great trip.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 06:06 AM

arios 7,

We leave for Madrid next week and have a reservation at Hotel Preciados which looks wonderful. It is right up the street from the Carlos V so it is well situated but slightly more upscale. It is slightly pricier (117 euros a night) but I have high hopes. Check out their website at preciadoshotel.com.

I will post a review when I get back in mid November. I don't know if that is in time for you to use the information.

Maria
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 07:08 AM

arios7,

One more thing...I remember choosing Hotel Preciados because it says it has "sound-proof" rooms whichusuall means double glazed windows. This is always an issue in Spain no matter which town, large or small, you are in. The Spainiards are "muy fiesteros" meaning PARTY ANIMALS which means that things tend to be much noisier than in the US (except for maybe Bourbon street).

We always ask for an interior room, if available. Ask if it is "tranquilo" at night. Even if this means sacrificing a view remember that checking in at 4:00 in the afternoon when everybody is going about their afternoon business on a very narrow street which seems removed from activity. By midnight this same street can be echoing with shouts, hand clapping, moto cross riders, etc...

I always bring earplugs or use a small benadryl or ambien on those occsions when the noise is disruptive.

Maria