Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel eiger or glestgarten in grindelwald???

Jun 8th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

hi guys,

can't decide between the hotel eiger or glestgarten (not sure of spleeping) in grindelwald. will be spending 5 days n scenic views from hotel is really important.

someone pls help..........
thks
Jun 8th, 2007, 12:17 PM

ttt
Jun 28th, 2007, 06:06 PM

explain ttt to me???
Jun 29th, 2007, 05:06 AM

ttt means bring the thread up to the top 50. (To The Top)
Jun 29th, 2007, 05:14 AM

It seems most posters stay in Wengen or Murren, or maybe Lauterbrunnen, not so much Grindelwald, so that's probably why you aren't getting responses.

Try entering "grindelwald" into the forum search and see if anything useful comes up. Don't forget to go over to Tripadvisor.com and read up.
Jun 29th, 2007, 07:26 AM

There is a Hotel Eiger on the main street.
There is also a Hotel Eigerblick farther up on the north slope which would have good views.

From your spelling I presume you mean Hotel Gletschergarten.

If that is the one you mean, it is well removed from the main area of Grindelwald. People seem to like it, based on the reviews.

Given the large number of hotels in Grindelwald, I doubt if very many people have stayed in both places and have a true basis for comparison.

I know where they are, but that is the limit of my knowledge.
Jun 29th, 2007, 07:34 AM

PS. Just remember that in Grindelwald you are at the bottom of a hole looking up!
The Eiger dominates the view to the south.
That huge wall looms high over the valley.

If you want views, go higher on the north slope. I think Hotel Eigerblick would give you a good vantage point.

Jun 29th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Chalet Hotel Gletschergarten was a great choice for our trip in September 2003. Our room had a wrap around balcony that had an unbelievable view of the Eiger. The husband and wife owners and their kids were terrific hosts, and always took time to help us on our questions regarding the area.

We found the food to be very good at the hotel restaurant. Finn (the husband) is the waiter, and he picked out a couple of nice wines. If you want to know a little more about hotel, type in "Europeans Rejoice" and my trip report will come up. It was a way too long report, but the part on Grindelwald isn't very far into it. It was our fourth stop on the trip. The report will also give you a little more detail about the area (hikes and stuff).

The restaurant at Hotel Eiger has very good fondue and racqlette (reasonable price).

Have a great time. We really enjoyed the Grindelwald area and will certainly return to do some of the hikes we did not get to last time.