Notices

hotel Edinburgh

Old Nov 24th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel Edinburgh

We will be in Edinburgh in early June in 2020. Recommendations on where to stay? There’ll be 1 overnight at the end of May and then we’ll be taking a 5 day Rabbies tour and 3 days from then to our flight home.
On May 31 we’ll be coming in by train spend 1 night — meet the tour at the bus station. Returned to the bus station then wander around for a couple of days and need to get to the airport.
I’m hoping to spend less than $200 per night. A nice B/B or small hotel.

I have a lot of questions.
THANKS!
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 1 Post
>>I’m hoping to spend less than $200 per night<<

Since you want to stay under £150 a little tough for a full service hotel, more doable in a B&B. However I'd seriously look at a travelodge or Premier Inn for the one night and renting a flat for the 3-day stay at the end. Some will pooh pooh Travelodges (and some are awful) but there are several really well located properties in central Edinburgh. I'd be happy at any of these: Edinburgh Central, Edinburgh Centra Princes Street, Edinburgh Central Waterloo Place, and Edinburgh Central Rose Street. Rates are very date specific but all of thise should be well below your budget - some at less than $100/£75

The Premier Inns will generally be a little higher but still bargains. Premier Inn City Centre and City Centre Royale.

I'm leaving for the afternoon but will post some ideas for holiday flats later . . .

Last edited by janisj; Nov 24th, 2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 01:22 PM

Oh - meant to add the TL Waterloo Place is directly across the street from the Rabbies tour meeting point
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'll look into these
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 07:33 AM

I recently returned from a trip where I had an a couple of nights between two Rabbie's tours and then an overnight in Edinburgh before my flight home. The ending point for the first tour and the starting and ending point for the second tour was at the bus station.

I stayed at The Place Hotel on York Place. https://the-place-hotel-edinburgh.at-hotels.com/en/

It was pretty much right across the street from the bus station, maybe a 2 minute walk away. I considered the Travelodge, but for me the selling point ended up being that the tram stop to the airport is also across the street to The Place Hotel, so it was very easy to hop on the tram to get to the airport.

It was a nice hotel and I would definitely stay there again, especially for the convenience to the bus station and tram station if I'm to take other Rabbie's tours that depart from there.

The only downside was that the hotel doesn't have an elevator, so if having one is important to you, then this is something to keep in mind.
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

This forum is awesome! Somehow I'd hadn't looked at larger hotels. THANK YOU!
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Is this across from the bus station pick up point or their offices. I'm having trouble seeing exactly where we need to meet the van on google maps. The address is St Andrew's square, it looks like a huge building.
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 02:53 PM

>>Is this across from the bus station pick up point or their offices. I'm having trouble seeing exactly where we need to meet the van on google maps. The address is St Andrew's square, it looks like a huge building.<<

Which do you mean by 'this'? St Andrews Square is a . . . Square. Like an open park. Rabbies has two pick up points depending on the actual trip -- the bus station or at their cafe in Waterloo place. If this trip leaves from the bus station, then the closest Travelodge is Princes Street. But it doesn't really matter . . . The Waterloo Place, Princes Street, Rose Street, and St Mary's Street travelodges are all walking distance from both pick up points.
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 04:12 PM

St Andrew's square is a few blocks north of the Edingburgh Waverley train station. It is a green space bordered by streets on all 4 sides. We were there in May waiting for CruiseLink 99 bus, and our bus stop was at the northern end of the St. Andrew's square.

If your tour is going to meet at St. Andrews square, ask them on which side (North, South or East etc) of the square you need to be at.
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 05:51 PM

The bus station is not actually at St. Andrews Square. It’s just off it, bounded by Clyde St. on one side. Sorry don’t remember other streets.Easy to map it on google or even booking.com site. The buses are on south side of station at least according to map but seemed to me they were on north. I may well have gotten turned around while getting there. There is good signage if you get on the correct route. Once at the bus station easy to navigate to correct spot.
I wouldn’t worry about being on side where buses are as it really doesn’t make a difference. Just get something near St. Andrews Sq. or bus station. Plenty of options in your price range. I suggest you check out booking.com They are good at steering you to good location as they can map everything for you, plus price range and valid reviews are reliable.
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Janisj
Ah yes, I meant the Waterloo place hotel. Our trip goes from the bus station - They did give a gate, I figure the evening before we'll check it out. Apparently 1 day trips go from their café. I didn't realize that. Thank you.
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 05:36 AM

Another vote for Premier Inns. I used them for the first time on my last trip to the UK (I needed an elevator, my knees quit). Good sized room (especially notable in London), clean, comfortable, edible food (dinner as well as breakfast), excellent staff. I think the clientele varies by location, the one in London had a lot of families, the one in Exeter more solos. No ambience, but how long are you gong to spend in the hotel?
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chladyg View Post
Janisj
Ah yes, I meant the Waterloo place hotel. Our trip goes from the bus station - They did give a gate, I figure the evening before we'll check it out. Apparently 1 day trips go from their café. I didn't realize that. Thank you.

OK - then the very closest would be the Princes Street Travelodge -- less than a 5 minute walk. *(Waterloo Place is a little farther -- maybe a 9-10 minute walk) The Princes Street Premier Inn is about a 15 minute walk or 8 minutes by tram from the bus station. *Either would be fine.
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 07:41 AM

Just to add that why Premier Inns are fine and, although, I ‘d never stay in a Travel Lodge again after a bad experience, I will defer to janisj’s opinion on Edinburgh’s selection. Don’t forget to check out booking.com and use their map locator. I found a number of nice some very nice places in your price range that are close to bus station/ St. Andrews Square. Don’t just limit yourself to Travel Lodge or Premier Inns although the latter may be a good option. You have time, just check out the various options.
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 07:52 AM

>>Just to add that why Premier Inns are fine and, although, I ‘d never stay in a Travel Lodge again after a bad experience, I will defer to janisj’s opinion on Edinburgh’s selection<<

As I've mentioned - some travelodges are dreadful. Sorry you had a bad experience. But the 3 or 4 mentioned in this thread are all new or new-ish, modern and clean. Some older travelodges I wouldn't touch with a barge pole
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 08:51 AM

That’s why I said I defer to your opinion on Travel Lodges especially for Edinburgh. New is almost always better unless staying at Balmoral or similar. I admit I have a flexible budget as in the past stayed at the Balmoral but next to last trip their rates were more than I wanted to spend. There is a limit and I always compare pros and cons. Not enough pros to spend $700 a night. I went elsewhere. In 2018 I took son, daughter-in-law and 12 year old granddaughter to Edinburgh for a couple of nights. Last minute plan to get them to Scotland. Had to pay extra to change departure flight dates. Ended up staying at Fraser Suites near the castle. Excellent choice.
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 10:45 AM

>>Ended up staying at Fraser Suites near the castle. Excellent choice.<<

I stayed there with my cousin about 5 years ago and for that trip there couldn't have been a better location. Just steps from St Giles. Other than a lovely flat in Lady Stair's close probably my favorite stay in Edinburgh (well besides when my folks footed the bill at the Balmoral and Caledonian on two trips years ago )
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took a taxi last year when my tour left from the bus station. My flat was over by the royal mile. I say this as it's nice to be close to the departure point but not necessary if you can get a taxi or if you use uber.
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 06:50 PM

We stayed at the HUB hotel Royal Mile by Premier Inn. 5 minute walk from Waverly train station. Minimalist modern hotel that we really liked. Another possibility would be Motel One a German Chain that we also like.