Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

edinburgh walking tours??and other suggestions for edinburgh??

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 11:37 AM
kam

Please give me advice about the different walking tours of Edinburgh. Should we try to see the city on our own or with a guided tour? We only have one day here on this trip. I have been before, but 30 years ago, and husband has never been. Arriving via train from Northumberland and will not want a car. Any very special places for our one meal (lunch) in Edinburgh? Any other suggestions of what we could fit it? Many thanks in advance.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Sheila

Kam <BR> <BR>I think it would be a good idea to take one of the open top bus tours to get a feel for the city and then narrow down what you want to see from there. Buses leave from just outside the station <BR> <BR>The Edinburgh Book Shop on George Street (now a branch of Thins) sells a book of walking tours which you might want to think about ordering in advance. It's been dealt with before so a search should bring it up. <BR> <BR>I've posted heaps of stuff about Edinburgh- some in the last week-try Edinburgh for just one day- and again a search s hould bring it up. I keep it in Word docs, so if you want them emailed let me know and I'll send it on. <BR> <BR>For lunch I'd go to either the Marqhe Central in Grindlay Street or the Atrium. <BR> <BR>hope this helps

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 03:08 PM
kam

Thanks Sheila. Has anyone actually taken one of these tours? Our concern is even with a walking tour map, Edinburgh sounds very confusing. We have such a limited amount of time that we want to max it.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 08:26 AM
chuck

cam, <BR> <BR>I haven't been on a guided tour, but I suggest you search this site using the term *edinburgh* I know there has been a lot of information posted over the last few months. <BR> <BR>Have a great time!

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 10:03 AM
irnbru

kam <BR> <BR>I took the Guide Friday open air bus tour last July. It was great -- very informative and I felt like we saw a lot in a short amount of time. I suggest you do that and tour the Castle if time permits.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 12:25 PM
kitty

We just took the Guide Friday tour in June and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a very rainy, cold day so we enjoyed the ability to stay warm and learn a lot about the city. We did get on and off to visit various places such as Holyrood Palace, St. Giles Cathedral, Dynamic Earth, and Gladstone's land. The guides were all informative and we did give them monetary tips as we got off the bus. They accepted the tips so I would suppose they somewhat expect it. We had spent the previous afternoon at Edinburgh Castle when it wasn't raining and did enjoy that too. <BR> <BR>Good luck. Edinburgh is a beautiful city, even in the rain, and I can't wait to go back sometime. <BR>