Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip from Edinburgh to St. Andrews--Should we consider other places before returning to Edinburgh? Stirling, maybe?

Search

Day trip from Edinburgh to St. Andrews--Should we consider other places before returning to Edinburgh? Stirling, maybe?

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finalizing our plans for our UK visit. We'll be making a train trip to St. Andrews during our brief time in Edinburgh. St. Andrews is a must. My travel partner's husband is an avid golfer, and we need to pick up a golf shirt or whatever from the shop, something with a logo to give him bragging rights. Aside from that, though, we're looking forward to visiting the town. What are your thoughts on making it a long day and visiting other places while we're out? What about adding Stirling, returning to Edinburgh late in the day? We'll be dependent on rail travel, so if that would be too energetic a plan, any suggestions?
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:13 PM

The train will really limit you. I'd do a there and back, were I you. St Andrews is wortha day on its own. And remember you need to get off at Leuchars and get the bus; and then get back to Leuchars by bus too.
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Sheila. We'll follow your advice and stick with St. Andrews.
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:37 PM

St Andrews is worth a full day.

there's a lot posted about it here. If you email me, I'l send you what I've collated into a single Word document
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Sheila, again thanks. We would love to have what you have collected on St. Andrews; we can't fine a whole lot on the town per se in the guide books, and your message board collection will save us tons of time as we prepare for our visit.
BTW, I've enjoyed your countless contributions to the boards. Valuable information that's cost you lots of time to think about and share. Wonderful support for those of us un who don't have a clue...
I've just emailed you. So appreciate your kind offer.
Barbara