Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip to St. Andrews from Edinburgh to play golf?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 01:21 PM
hla
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to play golf in St. Andrews (not the Old Course) as a day trip from Edinburgh? There would be four of us. Would it be practical to just use a taxi for our transportation back and forth, or is the train the only or best way? Thank you!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 07:39 PM
hla
Original Poster

topping in case anyone has any advice. We would prefer to golf as a day trip, but I will book a hotel for the night if the day trip is not practical. Thank you for any help.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:18 PM

I can't speak to doing a day trip, since I don't remember our logistics.

janisj, are you there? I remember you as a golfer .

St. Andrews is an amazing little town- full of pubs and cute little shops. While you may not be interested in the shops, the pubs are worth staying overnight !

If golfing is important to you.... I would drive to St. Andrews the evening before. Through your name in the lottery for the Old Course. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a tee time. If that happens, cancel your other tee time and play the Old Course (take a caddy for the best experience). Then spend the afternoon in the pub re-living your great (we'll ignore the not-so-great) shots! Drive back to Edinburgh next morn.

Or hit the pubs the evening before -- people have been known to 'strike gold' and meet a caddy, a member, etc. and get onto Old Course that way. You never know....
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
reporting for duty

No - not that much of a golfer - but I take friends on golfing holidays to Scotland . . .

Yes it is possible to do St Andrews as a day trip from Edinburgh to include a round of golf. But I dare say you need to look at a map if you were considering using a taxi. From Edinburgh to St Andrews is over 50 miles.

You'd want to take the train to Leuchars and then a local bus or a taxi the 6 miles to St Andrews.

As surfmom says you can try for the draw to play the Old Course (no play on Sundays BTW) - they post the next days's "winners" in the late afternoon and you can ring up from Edinburgh to see if you were lucky.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:37 PM

wow jamisj, I'm impressed. nicely done!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:39 PM

oops, those would be blurry eyes.

janisj, i meant!

hla -- after thinking through this more, I really think you should make at least a one overnight of it -- I feel more strongly about it the longer I think about it. You will enjoy all the pubs in St. Andrews!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:41 PM

An overnight would be best for sure - but if that isn't in the cards, then it is a doable day's trip.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:49 PM
hla
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies. The only reason I wanted to do a day trip is the cost of hotels. Edinburgh seems to be more affordable than St. Andrews. But St. Andrews does seem like a nice place to spend at least a night. The pubs plan is admittedly very appealing. And I just might try the Old Course lottery. Great idea. Thanks again.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM

actually except for a couple of very high end exceptions, there is quite a bit of moderately priced accomodation in St Andrews. Edinburgh on average would be more expensive (unless you are talking about Open Championship week)
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:54 PM

drat - didn't mean to hit post . . .

And nothing says you must stay IN St Andrews. There are many nearby villages w/ lots of good, budget B&Bs/hotels.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 02:31 AM

Agree with janisj, plenty of little charming villages near St Andrews that provide affordable accomodations. Few of my favourites would be Meldrum Hotel in Ceres near Cupar, Lundin Links Hotel near Leven, drive along the coast is also beautiful! BTW, nothing stops you from stay a night in Dundee with the likes of Travel Inn or Travel Lodges, only a short drive away (about 20 mins, if you drive like me!) from St Andrews.

http://www.destinationscotland.com/a....asp?region=15
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 04:38 AM

just for another example: here is a nice B&B in Crail w/ rates about 30-40% less than a comparable place in Edinburgh . . .

http://www.caipliehouse.co.uk/
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 12:55 PM

I think it wholy depens on the rime of your round, and I really wouldn't take a taxi. believe me, if the cost of accommodation is an issue, it will pale into nothing by comparison with the price of a taxi to st Andrews and back.

Any road oop, the price of a B&B in St andrews (except during the Open) is cheapre than the Edinburgh equivalent. And the same is true at the top end. you just need to find your equivalent
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 09:04 PM
hla
Original Poster

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate your help and advice. If we don't stay directly in St. Andrews, is a car necessary? How do we get back to the hotel after the pubs?!
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 09:45 PM

We've done it taking train to Leuchers, taxi into town, and stying at a great B&B right in town. It's a wonderful town and it was a great trip. I'd do it again, same way. We didn't miss as car. Some wonderful local restaurants too.

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:40 PM

I would highly recommend having a car if you're not staying directly in St Andrews, Fife is not exactly reowned for its public transport. For a 20-25 mins journey (Cupar, Lundin Links, Falkland), you would be looking at the price of about GBP20-25 per journey per taxi. £15-20 if you phone around to bargain a little bit, just use www.yell.com to get some numbers. Also, ask for a 7 seater taxi so enough space for 4 of you and all your clubs as well.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 12:57 AM

Ditto on the train from Edinburgh to Leuchers, then taxi or bus to St. Andrews. Taxi from Edinburgh to St. Andrews costs £109 (I know because Aer Lingus paid my fare because of missed connection).

Also, call the Links Trust before 2pm the day before you would like to play the Old Course. Tel. 01334 466666. You can then check the ballot to see if you made it (and make your travel plans accordingly). If you miss the Old Course, you can request a tee time on the New, the Jubilee, or the Eden-all fine links.

Weather here is overcast and 60 degrees F. Had a Texas-style thunderstorm that caused some minor flooding. Golf is great!!

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 02:45 AM

Sorry if this is a repeat...I don't think my last post was accepted.

I have traveled the last two years on business to Scotland (April 2005 / May 2006) and have played the Old Course each time without an advanced tee time. The ballot system worked for me but I was a single. I also suggest you arrive early. I did notice "holes" in the tee sheet so you could get lucky. While I waited for my tee time I had a great breakfast at the Old Course Hotel. The British Golf Museum is a great place to visit while waiting and it is located behind the 1st tee.

I would also add that the Old Course is THE course of the seven in St. Andrews for obvious reasons. If you don't mind driving (rental car is the way to go from Edinburgh) another 45 minutes north try to get on Carnoustie (one of the other Open courses and the site of this year's Open). Let us know how it goes...