Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would you give up a day (or could it be a half day) in Edinburgh to visit St. Andrews

Search

Would you give up a day (or could it be a half day) in Edinburgh to visit St. Andrews

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Deborah

Thanks for the help from Fodors Travel talk, with only 2 1/2 days in Edinburgh in May should I take time away from the many sights there to visit St. Andrews. I know I'm not going to see it all but I do want to see enough. Thanks for any suggestions. Deborah

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Uncle Sam

Absolutely!<BR><BR>St. Andrews is the home of golf, the Royal and Ancient is there, the ruins of the old abbey and the little town itself are delightful. Also some decent woolen shops as well.<BR><BR>Would plan ona whole day though.<BR><BR>US

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Sheila

On balance I think yes.<BR><BR>You can't do Edinburgh in 2 1/2 days so don't tray. get a flavour. But take a day and do the whole east Neuk- all the little fishing villages

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Deborah

Thanks, my husband will be thrilled with your responses

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Bob

If you play golf, you HAVE to go. It is required.<BR><BR>If you do not play golf, stay in Edinburgh if you are short on time. They do not allow non-members in the Royal and Ancient Club, the wool shops are the same as in Edinburgh and the rest of the town is just so-so in my humble non-golfer opinion. Plus the golf course ain't that much to see either.<BR><BR>But for a golfer it is the Mecca of the golf world and required for any true player. Enjoy.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:13 PM
janis

Normally I would say "no" because Edinburgh is so wonderful. But if one of those days happens to be a Sunday - definitely go to St Andrews. There is no play on Sunday and the Old Course becomes a vast city park. You can walk everywhere - across the Swilkern Burn, the road hole, into Hell bunker, etc. Then you can walk on the beach where they filmed the famous scenes from Charriots of Fire. Then on to the Castle and Cathedral, to Crail, Anstruther, Pittenweem and back to Edinburgh.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Mel

We've been to Edinburgh four times and it wasn't until our last trip, in February, that we ventured up to St. Andrews, which my husband, an avid golfer, has always wanted to do. I went along for the ride, not anticipating much. Well, the town is lovely and wonderful to stroll and when we pulled up and parked and he saw that little bridge on the course (I can't remember what it's called--all the golfers stop to have their picture taken as they cross it) the look on his face said he heard choirs of angels singing <BR><BR>We also stopped in to the Jigger Inn right there on the course for a bacon sandwich (better in Scotland than anywhere else, I think-yummmmmmm) and a beer. The place was empty (it WAS February, after all) and the waitress behind the bar was, as have been all Scots I've met, so very friendly.<BR><BR>Have a great time!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:33 PM
ctkjjk

I went to the University of St Andrews for a year. The town is wonderful, well worth a day trip. It so rich and steeped in history - the university was founded in 1410, the Cathedral is rumored to have been built as a reliquary for the bones of St Andrews, and the golf course and ocean-side view are breathtaking. This is one of the most picturesque spots around - YES, GO GO GO.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:39 PM
Dave

I was also at St.Andrews for my degree and recommend a whole day in St.Andrews. It is one of the most picturesque places in Scotland. Apart from the Old Course and West Sands which run alongside (where Chariots was filmed) you ought to stroll along to both the Castle (where you can walk along a mine, dug to undermine the walls by an attacking force and see the countermine dug by the defenders in response) and the Cathedral ruins. At the Cathedral be sure to climb St Rules tower (it used to cost 30p but that was some years ago!) where, upon emerging at the top, you'll be rewarded with the most stunning views.<BR>St Salvators college quad. is very beautiful too.... in fact if you time your visit for a sunday you'll see a lot of the students parading in their red gowns through the town down to the harbour to the pier (properly a breakwater). This is an ancient and very colourful tradition.<BR>If you've got time and transport drive the 11 miles along the coast to Crail. It is a perfect little dutch-influenced fishing port. Ancient houses and pubs with stepped gables huddled protectively around a tiny harbour with crab boats bobbing on the water. <BR>Enjoy yourselves!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 07:30 AM
mauld

As a non golfer, I can honestly say I didn't know about the golf course when I went there a few years ago. We just wandered through the town, and I must agree it is very quaint and charming. The school has a very 'Goodbye Mr Chips' feel about it with students in school scarves riding bikes through the street. The ruined cathedral on the coast was also memoriable.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Artemis

Another non-golfer here giving a resounding "yes" vote. Edinburgh is a fabulous city, and you would have no time filling all your time there ... but a day trip to St. Andrews will give you another side of Scotland. In addition to all the fabulous things to see and do in St.A's (already mentioned), the drive there is also very picturesque.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Jamie

Without a doubt! Even if you are not a golfer the town is very nice, and the views near the course are worth the trip. And if you even like golf a little, it is a necessary stop to see that historical course.

Old May 12th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Micki

Looks like I'm the only one here with a negative. If you take a day for St. Andrews that only leaves you with 1 1/2 days in Edinburgh. I think there are more interesting sites for a day trip. In the whole of Scotland St. Andrews ranks further down the list IMHO. I did enjoy the little fishing villages though. I'm glad I got to see St. Andrews but we had 2weeks in Scotland and spent several days in Edinburgh not just 2 1/2 days. Personally I would spend that day elsewhere but you won't be disappointed if you opt for St. Andrews.