Reload this Page >

Hotel des Rohan or Hotel de l'Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Angela

Both of these hotels have been highly recommended by contributors on this forum. <BR><BR>Can anyone help me to distinguish between them? Is one more elegant or luxurious than the other? <BR><BR>I can't decide between them!<BR><BR>Appreciate your comments.<BR><BR>Angela

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Christina

I don't know what city or country you are talking about as there is probably a Hotel de l'Europe in almost every city in western Europe (that I've been in). <BR><BR>I did stay in a hotel by that name in Strasbourg, France and liked it very much for lots of reasons. Great location, nice staff, large nice rooms, good buffet breakfast. It certainly wasn't luxurious or elegant, though, just a nice 3-star hotel, so maybe you are talking about another city. I wouldn't ever call 3-star hotels luxurious, even when nice. I've never stayed in a Hotel des Rohan, so couldn't compare, anyway -- that's sort of them problem with questions about hotel comparisons, it's hard to find people who've stayed in both.<BR><BR>so maybe you should add a note in this thread as to where you are talking about

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 09:23 AM
at8864

Thanks, Christina.<BR><BR>It IS Strasbourg -- sorry for not mentioning that detail!

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Sue

I stayed in the Hotel de Rohan (3 star) but not the other. Rohan is small, charming, nicely furnished, and wonderfully located on the pedestrian street just cross from the cathedrale. Would stay there again, but again, don't know de l'Europe.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Angela

I'm planning this for my parents' 40th wedding anniversary, so I'd like the place to be REALLY charming. Concierge.com described de l'Europe as "luxurious," but Christina doesn't agree.<BR><BR>What about Rohan?<BR>

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Christina

Angela, I think this is concierge.com "hotel speak" where they refer to any hotel with certain amenties as luxurious. Hotel de l'Europe is a very nice 3-star hotel, but not luxurious or elegant. It is very comfortable and nice, but the rooms are actually rather modern, not what many call "charming." I liked it for its location and very comfortable and large rooms with good bathrooms, etc, but sometimes I am more in the mood for good facilities and bathroom than "charm" (which often just means old). They have their own web site but it does not even show a guest room, which is sort of odd. Here is the best info I've found on it that does show some of the rooms<BR>http://www.cosy-hotels.com/hotels/hotel-335.htm<BR>So, I guess they have some very high-end rooms with jacuzzis and that may be why they call it luxurious, but look at the photos at the bottom, especially far right -- does that look luxurious and charming to you? If so, go for it, but it doesn't to me. I might add that cosy-hotels web site is not one I would use for booking, book directly with the hotel -- those rates are way too high (doubles are 100 euro or less, so you know it is not luxurious, although some rooms are no doubt more expensive). <BR><BR>I think there are not actually charming luxurious hotels in Strasbourg, and that may be the problem. From my observation when searching for hotels there, you will find the top-end expensive hotels (4-star or luxury) but they are not charming, they tend to be modernized and/or large chains (this is probably due to the business in that city). The ones that seem more charming are not luxurious or elegant, but 2-3 star hotels. <BR><BR>Have you seen Karen Brown's recommendations? She cites charming places and seems to only list two in Strasbourg (Rohan and Beaucour) but if you look at the photos and description, they are not luxurious (and the Beaucour doesn't even look very charming to me). <BR><BR>I think some places to look at that might be more in the charming than modern category are the Rohan and Hotel de Cathedrale. You might also look at the Tulip Inn Hannong<BR> http://www.hotel-hannong.com/<BR>I was considering it, it is a nice hotel and well-located. The rooms look nice but tend to me more modern European it looks to me, although nice. It's only a 3-star hotel, also, though so I don't think you'd call it luxurious and maybe not charming, depending what you want on that scale.<BR><BR>It's a nice thing for you to do this for your parents, good luck, but I think this may be a tough one given the Strasbourg hotel situation.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Huh?

Author: Angela ([email protected])<BR>Date: 09/14/2002, 11:06 am<BR>Message: Which hotel would you pick as the most charming in Strasbourg?<BR><BR>This is for my parents' 40 anniversary, so I want to make it a good one!<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Angela<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR>Author: lynlor ([email protected])<BR>Date: 09/14/2002, 01:10 pm<BR>Message: We have stayed at the Du Dragon and we liked it very much. It is light, bright and immaculate, but I am hesitant to recommend it because the rooms are starkly modern and this does not seem charming to some people. There are two adjacent buildings...one side has elevators and the other side only stairs. Somtimes there are a lot of stairs to climb. It has a central location.<BR><BR>Have you considered the Regent Petite-France or the Regent Contades? I have not stayed at either of these hotels.<BR><BR>Lynlor<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR>

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Sue

Rohan was not luxurious or elegant, but in this case charm does not mean old and run down either. From it's location, the bldg. has to be old, but there was nothing shabby about it. As I remember it, the amenities were fine, also. I think it is a delightful place to stay unless someone wants luxury, which you don't get in 3 stars for this price in Europe.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Carolyn

We've stayed at the Rohan twice in 4 years. The first room was more "charming" than the last one, this past summer. The hallways are very small and may give a bad impression. The lobby is small, but nice, and the breakfast room does meet the charming criteria. They also have free internet service which was great. The 2 young women behind the desk were extremely helpful and saved the day for us. (however, the woman behind the desk on our first trip was not nice at all -- so that can change!) The location, if you don't have a car, is perfect. Right across from the cathedral and walking distance to the old section. If you could request a room facing the cathedral, that would be really cool. Our room was average -- really just a hotel room, but it didn't matter. We weren't there to stay in the room! Good luck.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Angela

Thanks for all your input!<BR><BR>Angela

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 03:50 PM
sharon

Angela, we are planning on visiting Strasbourg next month. I've reserved the timbered room at the Hotel de l'Europe. So far I have communicated with the staff, Marie in particular, and they've been very accomodating, courteous, and patient. I had many questions about the train schedules and they helped me out beyond my expectations. As I said we haven't stayed there but we are looking forward to it. If judging by its staff, however, I'd say it's a great choice.