Search

Hotel de Varenne in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel de Varenne in Paris

Has anybody actually stayed there?
If so, please give my your opinion of the hotel and its rooms.

I did a search, but it seems like everybody responding had "heard" of the place or walked past it, but no one replied who had actually had stayed there!! At least not one that I saw!

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Hey Bob

You must have missed my comments: I've made a few on this forum about our stay at the Hotel de Varenne.

I actually liked the hotel a good deal. We had the one room that had a partial Eiffel Tower view, and that made it more special.

The room was small but not tiny. There was a real closet and a nice small fridge. The bathroom was huge and very clean, with a window on the street and tub, but no shower. I did really like that room, but I do prefer a shower.

The bed was comfortable, linens and towels were nice enough, as I recall, and the breakfast was decent. Bread-heavy, like breakfast in most Paris hotels, but good coffee. They charge extra for breakfast, but because we were staying for several nights, we were able to negotiate for an included breakfast ahead of time.

The hotel has a pretty little courtyard and nice little lobby and breakfast room. If you are there in the warm weather, breakfast can be had outside. You can also sit in the courtyard any time, and there was a group enjoying wine there one evening.

I love the street, and this is the second hotel we have stayed at on the same street. A nice little grocery, good cafes, bakeries, a great sandwich shop, and lots more. The location is very convenient, and the private apartments in the area are considered upscale. Also a very good pharmacy with nice cosmetics and toiletries. And a wine shop. Actually, everything you might want.

The staff was somewhat formal, but quite adequate and made restaraunt reservations for us. They weren't chummy, but they were professional all the way.

Off hand, I can't think of anything else. We did take the RER from CDG and walked to the hotel, but it was a bit of a drag, about 3 or 4 long blocks, pulling our luggage.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Two posters, from August:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34662927

October:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34693539

March:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34585603
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks, somehow I missed the remarks. I guess I did not scroll down far enough.
At any rate, my question has been answered.

I have stayed in the 6th and the northern edge of the 14th. Next time I would like a new view of the city.
If I read correctly, the Varenne is in the 7th and near the Seine and the Musee d'Orsay.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:35 PM

bob

The Varenne is in the 7th, and it is close enough to the Seine and Orsay, but closer still the Musee Rodin. Very close to the Rodin, in fact. The nearby church of St Clothilde and the parklet behind the church are two of our favorite spots there, and off the beaten track.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:52 PM

tuscanlifeedit, I thought St Clothilde and its parklet (apt word) were my own little secret! I don't know what it is about the place but, ever since I happened upon it a trip or two ago, I've made it a point to walk around there every time I go to Paris, just to soak in the atmosphere.

I've never actually been inside the church, but I seem to remember reading that the organ in the church is one of the finest in Paris. Have you ever attended a service or a concert there?