Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you were chosing between these hotels, which one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hotel Clement

http://www.hotelclementparis.com/index.html

Hotel Palais du Bourbon

http://www.bourbon-paris-hotel.com/index.html

Hotel Paris de Varenne

http://www.varenne-hotel-paris.com/pages/rooms_1.html

I know there has been discussion of all of them on a fairly regular basis. If you have any comments on any of them particularly, I'd love to hear it. Especially, how they compare to each other.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:33 PM

The Hotel Varenne is really lovely in every way and very quiet. One enters down a vine covered courtyard, and it's kept immaculately tidy-extremely well run. It has become our "home away from home" in the 7th.
The Palais du Bourbon, right down the street just isn't as nice or as charming.

I can't comment on the Hotel Clement.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Based on the websites, I'm leaning toward Hotel Varenne.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:52 PM

I've stayed at both the Palais du Bourbon and the Hotel Varenne. At the Hotel V. they have one room with a partial (but nice) Eiffel Tower view. The rooms was OK, with a nice closet and small fridge, BUT the bathroom only had a tub and the window was on the street. At 5AM the garbage trucks came, and it was very noisy. Yes, the little courtyard has charm, but it is little, and if you don't hit perfect weather, it's not of much use.

The Palais du Bourbon doesn't have quite the same ambiance in the public areas, but we have stayed in tow rooms there, and they were both large by Paris standards. Their top floor "honeymoon" room with views over the rooftops was really delightful. Totally quiet, big, romantic... we liked it.

Another point on the Hotel Varenne: I have to have coffee in the morning, and it wasn't included in the price of the stay. Do check to see what the prices are for breakfast, which at both hotels, is just coffee or tea, bread or roll, and maybe juice.

In either case, the street that both hotels are on is one of our favorites. As the dollar to euro rate has gotten worse, we've moved to a less expensive area and apartments, but I think you will really love the location of either hotel. Nice food shops and the Musee Rodin is at the foot of the street.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM

Sooosally,
We've stayed in two deluxe rooms at the Varenne which are quite ample by Paris standards-the dormer room (done in red, with settee) featured on their web site and a deluxe double facing the street both with tub/shower combo. On one visit in January the continental breakfast (coffee, juice, croissants, butter, jam) was included in their special, reduced rate, but breakfast is (or was) included only in low season. The rates for superior twins at the Palais tend to be lower if that is a concern.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM

I've stayed at Hotel Clement for years and have recommended it. You can read my comments on my hotel thread, "Paris Hotels Left Bank". Happy Travels!
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Guenmai. I think I did read it. I'm trying to contact the Hotel Varenne right now. If that doesn't work out I'll probably try Hotel Clement next.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

BTW,, Guenmai, have you stayed at the other two before?
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 06:10 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We stayed at Hotel de Varenne in 2006. Liked it a lot. You can get coffee right down the street.

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM

Sooosally-No, I haven't stayed at the other two on your list. I've only stayed at one hotel, that I can remember, in the 7th. I'm just not a stay-in-the-7th person although I shop in the 7th. It's just a bit too quiet for me. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi Chris. I was very interested in Hotel de Varenne. However, I have emailed them 4 or 5 times and they do not respond. I'm sad about that but need to make my arrangements. If you have any suggestions on contacting them I'd be very thankful.
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Have you called the hotel? It is what I suggest.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 06:44 AM

In my experience, few hotels in Europe respond to email- especially if it's sent in English. But it looks like you can book the Varenne on Expedia.