Hotel Close to London's Gatwick Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I am trying to find a moderately priced hotel for 1 night in London. Close to Gatwick Airport. We will be arriving at Heathrow around 6:00 pm on 8/28/04 and will be departing from Gatwick at 1:00 pm 8/29/04. Any suggestions would be great.
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:03 AM

Le Meridien is linked to the North terminal
Hilton is linked to the South terminal

Book via www.abcholidayextras.co.uk, ver reasonable.
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:18 AM

I agree with m_kingdom's reco. I stayed at the Meridien but booked it through a discount website lastminute.com and got a major discount.

Your other alternative, since you're not leaving til 1 pm is to stay in London near the Gatwick Express train. The bus shuttle between Heathrow & Gatwick is not cheap (10-15GBP/person) & it takes a minimum of an hour. You're arriving in rush hour so it'll take longer. You could take the Heathrow Express into London which takes about 15 minutes, have a nice evening in London & take the Gatwick Express out in the morning.

If you stll want to stay near Gawick, there are tons of hotels & previous posts here mentioning them. Type Gatwick AND hotel in the text search. One of the cheaper options is the Ibis.
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:28 PM

cfrieday:

Have stayed at The Gable Inn Guest House. You can easily walk out from this location for your evening meal. They will drive you to the airport. See at www.gable-end.com or www.smoothhound.co.uk

Sandy
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:47 PM

Since you're arriving at 6:00pm, I suggest that you stay in a hotel near Victoria Station and enjoy an evening in London. A National Express coach directly from Heathrow to Victoria costs 10 GBP. If you're traveling light and don't mind making one transfer on the Underground, that trip will cost only 3.80 GBP. The Gatwick Express has an "up to four for the price of two" special (22 GBP for 2, 3, or 4 adults). If there are only two of you, then a South Central train would be cheaper (16 GBP for two adults).
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:57 PM

An addition to my previous note: Some moderately-priced hotels within walking distance of Victoria Station are the Winchester Hotel, Cherry Court Hotel, and Astors Hotel. The Winchester is the nicest of the three, but it is also the most expensive and it doesn't take credit cards. (Note: this information comes from Rick Steves' London 2001 guidebook.)
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:00 AM

We are also flying out of Gatwick at 1pm and are staying at the Winchester the night before as it is only a very short walk to Victoria Station.

Jimmy was very nice when I spoke to him and I looked through their website.

Please note that you have to send them a deposit to book your stay.
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:55 PM

It might depend on how long a flight you have flying into London. If you have had a 10 hr. flight, the last thing you want to do it to hassle with the train or bus into London, and out again the next morning early.
The Meridien (north terminal link) and Hilton (south terminal link) are convenient but they don't have (atleast the Hilton) a shuttle to the terminal and it is indeed a long walk with luggage. (perhaps there is a "golf cart" type of ride)
Only about 5 minutes away by hotel shuttle bus is a wonderful Marriott Renaissance with GREAT weekend rates. Next door to that is a Moat House, and there is a Holiday Inn not too far (small rooms). We also stayed at the Gable Inn Guest House in Horley once, and it is very nice and they do take you to the terminal. The Renaissance , we feel, is the best deal for a good rest and to "reorganize" IF it is on the weekend.
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:04 PM

We stayed at the Gable Inn a couple of years ago. What a wonderful little inn. The owners are VERY nice, they got us to the airport the next am and sent us off with a HUGE breakfast. Rooms were clean, but small, and comfortable. That last night too we ate at an old pub that was within walking distance. Can't think of the name off the top of my head, but the owners of the Gable Inn know the owners and recommended the place to us. The food was fab, and the beer even better. Made for a wonderful, memorable last night in the UK.
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:11 PM

Listen to TimS. Why stay in the sticks?
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:01 PM

As you are arriving at Heathrow at 6PM it would be rather late by the time you got settled in a hotel/B&B at Gatwick. A stay in London may be a better idea as your outgoing flight is at 1PM.

I don't know which airline you are flying but Delta changed my 1 PM flight to 11AM and I had to scramble to get back to Gatwick a day earlier than planned. I had originally intended to fly to Gatwick from Edinburgh early that day to get the 1 o'clock flight.

If you are looking for nice accommodations at Gatwick I will also join the others in recommending the Gable End Guest House.

Anissa, perhaps you are thinking about the pub, Ye Olde Six Bells. I had a nice dinner there and it was inexpensive.

Old May 20th, 2004, 04:11 AM

Judi - that was it! The inside wasn't as quaint as the outside (more modern) but the food was good and cheap! Save room for dessert!!
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:17 AM

I've heard the Gainesborough Lodge is good, friendly, inexpensive and offers a free breakfast as well as pick up service at the airport and service to the airport. Give them a try.
[email protected]
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:18 AM

Both the Hilton and Meridien are around seventy five pounds for one night room only, these save you having to worry how to get to the airport i.e. no shuttles etc. all interlinked! It's one night, convenience is essential.

However, looking at your itinerary, if you are feeling brave:

Stay in London for one night, have a nice dinner, maybe catch a play/show, end the evening in a bar until 3am, go back to the hotel, freshen up and get a car to Gatwick, that way you've even managed to get a free holiday in London, tiring, but fun!
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

If we ended up staying in London for the night(which I would like to do) how long does it take to get to Gatwick in AM our flight is approximately 1:00pm. What is the best way to get there? Thanks for your help
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Gatwick Express -- train from Victoria station. Thirty minutes.
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:09 PM

In one of my upstream notes, I mentioned that a South Central train from Victoria Station to Gatwick is cheaper than the Gatwick Express. What I didn't give is the time (40 minutes).
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:45 PM

One final comment: If saving time is of utmost importance, then take the Gatwick Express. Besides being ten minutes faster, you can simply jump on the train and someone will come around and sell you a ticket en route. For a South Central train you'll have to stop at a ticket window or machine.
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:01 PM

We have done this trip many times, as the older I get, the more I like to stay overnight in downtown London rather than flying straight through to my ultimate destination. I have tried staying in London and going to Gatwick the next day, and I have gone directly to Gatwick upon landing and stayed overnight there. I really prefer going to Gatwick the night I arrive, as it means that I don't have to be rushing around in the morning to get anywhere and instead can enjoy myself with a relaxed shower and breakfast before I continue on my trip. Plus it's way cheaper to stay near Gatwick than downtown. In Gatwick, I stay in a bed and breakfast near to the town (Horley) so that I can easily walk to the restaurant and shops. (FYI, Horley has a few thrift stores where I have found some really interesting used books to enjoy on my travels). There are many many b&bs (guest houses) near Horley, and the ones I have stayed at all have airport pickup and dropoff services, which is most convenient. I have stayed at the Lawn Guest House, the Gable Inn, and the Corner House Hotel (all in Horley), none of which are fancy in the slightest, but all of which are clean and comfortable with friendly owners.