Gatwick Airport

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Gatwick Airport

We will be flying into Heathrow but then transferring from Heathrow to Gatwick. We then will be flying out of Gatwick the following morning. Does anyone know how early we can check our bags in at Gatwick? I would like to check our bags in that morning and then just take our carry-on bags to the hotel for the night. We will get to Gatwick just about 24 hours before our next day flight. Thanks in advance for advice!
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Me personally - I wouldn't stay near LGW for 24 hours. W/ that long, I'd go in to London and stay at a hotel near Victoria Station. Then have most of a day to explore and have a nice meal. The next morning I'd take the Gatwick Express train to LGW - the train ride is only 30 mins.

Just how I'd do it. . . . .
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:22 PM

You want to go from Heathrow to Gatwick to check bags, then into London and back to Gatwick to sleep? Sounds like a lot of time enroute instead of sightseeing to me.

How about going from Heathrow into London, checking in to a hotel, seeing some sights and spending the night - then getting out to Gatwick early the next morning?

You have your choice of a wide range of hotels - Southern Railways serves both Victoria and London Bridge stations - for less than the Gatwick Express. Southern has somewhat less space for luggage, but we've never found this to be an issue.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

We have already booked a transfer via National Express from Heathrow to Gatwick and have a hotel near Gatwick since we have a 7am flight the next morning. Rather than take all our luggage from Gatwick to the hotel and back again I would like to leave it at the airport and just take the bare necessities to the hotel. Our flight is on BA and they seem to have online check in but I am not sure you can check in your bags that early. Any advice or ideas?
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:57 AM

You are not listening to 2 of the most experienced people on here. try to cancel the hotel at gatwick and book one at Victoria.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:04 PM

But she has a 7am flight. I understand why she'd prefer to stay near the airport than get up at at 4am in order to get out to Gatwick.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:10 PM

"...get up at at 4am in order to get out to Gatwick."

So from a hotel at Gatwick, they'll have to get up at 4:30. The distance from a London hotel to the train or a Gatwick hotel to the airport is a wash. The only difference is the extra time the train ride takes.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Why not go to Brighton instead? Quicker, cheaper & more fun (than Gatwick.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:16 PM

I think the problem is that limpitlaw has a early flight the next morning (7:00a.m.) and that would mean leaving London about 4:00/4:30 to get to Gatwick for their flight. The train usually takes 30 min. but I've been on it when it took 45min. Then I'm fairly certain one wants to be at the airport at least 90 min prior to departure. If my conclusions are right, it makes little sense to stay in London unless you don't mind getting up in the middle of the night. However, this might not be too unreasonable of an alternative to staying out at Gatwick for 24hrs.

Sorry I can't answer your question about checking bags in that long before your departure. I would assume if there is someone at check-in you can do this, but then I try never to assume anything.
Go to the airlines forum and maybe someone can give you an answer or call your airline.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:22 PM
lyb

bookmarking
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:23 PM

I doubt any airline will allow you to check bags the day before your flight. If they do, the chances of those bags making your plane are (imo) 0%. You don't say what time you arrive at Heathrow. If it's late in the day and you leave at 7 am the following day, use your bookings, take the luggage to the hotel and have a nice meal in Horley. Get up and go to the airport.

If, otoh, you're arriving early the day before your flight, I agree you should cancel your other bookings and go to London and stay there for the night.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Staying near LGW only puts you 30 minutes closer to the airport.

Then, assuming it is not a hotel right in the terminal - it will take 15 mins or more to get to LGW (either by shuttle or taxi). If one stays near Victoria you might be 5 or 10 minutes from the GEX. So actually the difference in time could be as little as 10-20 minutes.

In either case one wants to be at the airport 2+ hours before the flight - so maybe one would get an extra 10-15 minutes sleep.

Would I give up 15 minutes sleep to stay in London over LGW - you betcha . . . .
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:28 PM

mclaurie: The OP says they will have 24 hours at LGW - so that means they arrive the morning before.

staying in London will give them a FULL day in the city.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:39 PM

As you (hopefully) haven't bought your ticket Gatwick to London & back it would be cheaper & quicker overall for you to

a) buy a one day travelcard at Heathrow Airport
b) take the Tube to Hammersmith, walk across the platform, take a Tube to Victoria
c) Dump luggage at Victoria left luggage (£6 PER BAG - so try to consolidate bags if possible)
d)tour London, eat, catch a show
e) BEFORE 11:00pm, collect luggage
f) get Southern train (NOT GEX) to Gatwick
g) checkin, sleep

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:40 PM

And that's if you can't cancel your hotel
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:07 PM

alanRow's adviceis very good if your LGW hotel is non-refundable. That is the cheapest and best way to deal w/ the transport and luggage.

But most hotels aren't pre-paid and allow one to cancel in a reasonable time. So if you can cancel - stay in London, and if you can't cancel spend the day in London and go to the hotel that night as alan suggests.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 03:03 PM

With all the advice that's been given, I have to agree with Alan's option. There isn't enough time difference involved to sacrifice a day in London.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 03:19 PM

g) is checkin to hotel, not checkin to flight

but as others have pointed out sleeping near Gatwick only gives you a few minutes extra sleep compared to sleeping at Victoria

(the same BTW applies to Heathrow)