Heathrow to Gatwick

Jan 25th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Heathrow to Gatwick

We arrive Heathrow and depart Gatwick the next day, so do not need to take Speedlink to Gatwick. What is the best, least expensive method to travel from Heathrow to Gatwick on a Sunday afternoon?

Thanks for the help!

Michael
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:32 PM

Perhaps you're assuming Speedlink is speedy. It's not. It's a bus (there is no train service between the 2 airports) & is subject to traffic conditions. Sunday should be better than a weekday, but when on Sunday will make a difference I think. Early is better than late.

Depending on how many of you are traveling, at some point (maybe 3) it might be cheaper to take a car service (the bus is around 12GBP/person). Car services mentioned here are
london-transfers.com and swisscottagecars.com

If you have time, you might consider spending the night in London. You could take the tube (or Heathrow Express) into London & then the Gatwick Express (train) out to the airport.

Jan 25th, 2004, 02:34 PM

there are busses...b/a has a bus service as well...taxi...rental car for one day
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:02 PM

Here's a really neat alternative: Instead of overnight in London, take a short taxi ride to Windsor and enjoy a night in the village with the castle hovering above. Nice village, several good restaurants, and several hotels. I have stayed at Sir Christopher Wren's House, a nice hotel right on the Thames and a wonderful place to relax.

To get to Gatwick the next day, take a taxi back to Heathrow and the tube or bus into London, then catch the Gatwick Express at Victoria Station. Good luck.
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:35 PM

Well - Windsor is certainly a nice place - but I would definitely not stay there the night before a flight out of Gatwick.

Depending on what time your flight out is I'd prefer to stay in London near Victoria. You can get in a little sightseeing, have a nice dinner, and the next morning take the Gatwick Express directly to the terminal.

But if your flight is really early in the morning - just take speedlink (the best and cheapest way to go unless you are a group of 4 or 5) and stay at a LGW area hotel.