Search

Hotel Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Barcelona

I recently stayed in Soho NYC (Four Points Sheraton, nothing to brag about, but location was great), very close to Greenich Village. The location was excellent for close walking to cool neighborhoods and great small stores and restaurants.

I'm going to Barcelona for 4 nights in a week. I have booked Hotel Royal Passeig de Gracia. Just not sure I want to stay in that area. While the reviews look great, it looks very big and very touristy.

Any suggestions, and why?
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 04:01 AM

Are you open to staying at a Bed & Breakfast? Can highly recommend BarcelonaBB centrally located in a beautiful Eixample neighborhood about a 10 min walk to the Gaudi Houses on Passeig de Gracia and 15 min walk to La Sagrada Familia. Lots of restaurants, shops, metro stop all nearby. Beautiful village of Gracia (reminds me a little of Greenwich Village) is also close. Just returned from my 3rd visit to Barcelona and have stayed at BarcelonaBB each time. Service and accommodation are top notch. Reasonably priced. They have a mix of rooms with either shared or private baths. Trip Advisor reviews are on the mark. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 04:12 AM

Have you done your own research on Booking.com? Loads of reviews on that website, which are trusted to be posted by those who have stayed at accommodation listed. What those value you give to those reviews in the end is for you to judge.
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 07:04 AM

Hi molly,
Why not consider the Hotel Barcelona Catedral. We stayed there a few years ago and found the location and hotel to be great.
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 09:12 AM

what do you mean about looking "Very touristy?" Do you mean the hotel? If the hotel was too big, why did you book it?

That area is definitely not a tourist ghetto or created just for tourists. It is a major street with rail stations and a lot of (high end) shops and hotels, of course, as a major thoroughfare in a big city will have, and some nice restaurants/cafes. If you think only tourists are on it and no residents go there, you are mistaken. If you don't like that type of area, that's one thing, but to call it "touristy" misses the point IMO.

The Eixample area is the same thing, high end with expensive shops, in fact, that hotel is IN the Eixample area, just about right in the middle of it. Nomadlass is recommending a place in the exact same area and street that you say you aren't sure you want.

In fact, it is a very convenient location exactly because of the transportation options and location as kind of in the middle of various places you might want to go, but is away from the real super-touristy areas arond the Ramblas.

If you don't want any of that, moving to Gracia (or many other neighborhoods where you may not find many hotels) might be a good idea.
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Wow Christina, lose the attitude. You offer food for thought, but sound super offended.
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Nomadlass, love your suggestion, but sadly it's not available ....thanks though, it looks lovely! Hopefully others will see this and be able to check it out
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Ribeirascara, yes I practically live on booking.com these days!
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

SoFaraway....not available, but thanks!
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 06:59 PM

Hi molly4669 - if you're interested in BarcelonaBB and their website shows no availability, suggest you contact them directly via email or phone because sometimes options are available that don't appear on line. Your initial posting referenced a Greenwich Village vibe so that's why I thought this B&B and the neighborhood might be a good fit of you. It is in Eixample like the hotel you're considering but your hotel is directly on Passeig de Gracia which is a main street (the 5th Ave of Barcelona); BarcelonaBB is located several blocks off P. de Gracia, approximately a 10 min walk away.
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 12:01 AM

We stayed at the Royal Passeig de Gracia and liked it a lot. Location was great, walking distance to almost anywhere (even the beach). It's certainly not big and not touristy. Touristy would be a hotel on the Ramblas.
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 01:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To recommend a hotel, a little more info please. Is this your first time in Barcelona and what are you aiming to see/reason for going there?

If you're there to sight see and only for 4 days, I think I'd want to be somewhere that didn't push me too far out of the main stream of things. In mid October it won't be super busy with tourists, but in any case bear in mind that this is the most visited city in Spain, if not Europe, so it won't be easy to avoid other visitors.

Apart from the Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell, most of the other mainstream sights are within easy walking distance of the Ramblas, so consider basing yourself on its right side (with your back to the sea). Avoid Raval on the opposite side. I've also stayed on the Ramblas itself three or four times, in the Royal, the Marriott and the Rivoli--never had a problem with noise (I think that's a Rick Steves myth) enjoyed the central location and if you take the normal personal possessions precautions, it's a great location to stay in.

There are lots of hotels around the Gothic quarter off the Ramblas, but it's where people stay. That doesn't make them bad and they do offer "close walking to cool neighborhoods and great small stores and restaurants.
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Nomadlass....thanks I will try.
MyriamC ....I booked it, and have decided to give it a go, lots a really great reviews
Rubicund....first timer, 4 days, will note all your wonderful pieces of advice
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 12:17 AM

If you live on Booking website then why ask for advice here? The reviews on booking are genuine and plentiful.
However, you will never really understand what the person wants from the accommodation hence a lot of reviews do not mean a thing.
Same could be said on this forum. If one to a few persons suggest X then how do you know it will suit you?
Old Oct 6th, 2016, 03:41 AM

<close walking to cool neighborhoods and great small stores and restaurants.>

You should take a look at El Born, medieval, vibrant, planty of excellent small stores and places to eat. A cradle of Catalan identity and culture and close to "everything" (the beach, the Gothic quarter, the cathedral, the Ciutadella park, Placa de Catalunya, Las Ramblas etc. etc) and much more local atmosphere than in the Gothic quarter etc. Great tapas bars, restaurants, terraces, nightlife etc. http://www.barcelona-life.com/barcelona/born

Hotel Banys Orientals is a goood option here: http://www.hotelbanysorientals.com/en/