Reload this Page >

Barcelona - which area for hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2002, 09:32 PM
AA

<BR>Which area to choose for 5 nights in Barcelona? I'd like it to be SAFE and pleasant! <BR>AA

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:28 AM
Deb

I stayed on a side street off the ramblas in the barrio gothic because it was inexpensive and close to things but it was probably a little nicer up closer to the diagonal area. There is a mix of luxury and budget hotels in both areas so I wouldn't hesitate with either. I was traveling alone and felt safe both places.

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:32 AM
AA

topping

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Shari

We stayed in the Gravina Bestwestern hotel and it was great - comfortable, central, very friendly and helpful staff that helped us find restaurants, very good value for money - highly recommended. This is their site.<BR>http://www.hotel-gravina.com/

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:23 PM
AA

<BR>Thanks, Shari, Is it also near the Ramblas? And if so, on what section or side?<BR>AA

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Capo

We didn't feel unsafe anywhere we went in Barcelona when we were there two years ago for six days. Supposedly, the Gothic Quarter is one of the higher petty crime areas of the city so if you want peace of mind in the evening, you might be better off avoiding hotels in that area (though, personally, I would not hesitate to stay there.) <BR><BR>You might prefer a hotel in the Eixample, the moderniste area that is north of the Placa de Catalunya. <BR><BR>Hope you have a great time; we loved Barcelona.

Old May 28th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Maggie

For location you cannot beat the Hotel Continental, located at the top of Las Ramblas, close to Placa Catalunya.<BR>Enjoy Barcelona, it is a wonderful city.<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie.

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Lori

We just returned from Barcelona. We stayed at the Hotel Arts in the Port Olympic Marina district and felt very safe there. It was a short taxi ride to Placa de Catalunya. Most days we walked back along the water through the Port Vell area.<BR><BR>The first day there, we stumbled into Ciutat Vella and I definitely did NOT feel safe there despite the police presence. It's not the best place to get your first taste of Barcelona.<BR><BR>The Ramblas is where most of the action is-its noisy, so I'm glad we stayed at the Arts with its incredible ocean views. I'd also say that the Eixample area would be my second choice.

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:42 AM
Doug Weller

I was pickpocketed in the Eixample, which is generally a safe area. It can happen anywhere. (And I knew it could, and let my guard down).

Old May 31st, 2002, 11:59 AM
Jean Valjean

Probably the most convenient, safe, and pleasant area to stay is on Passeig de Gracia. The Condes de Barcelona hotel is quite nice. Other areas which are maybe nicer but not as convenient are to the south of Diagonal (business district near L'illa shopping center) or Pedralbes (an upscale neighborhood, to the southwest.