Search

Barcelona Hotel Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2016, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona Hotel Recommendation

Hello.

My husband and I (60, fit but not groovy) will be spending 4 nights in Barcelona in mid-September. We love to explore cities on foot and will do as much walking as possible. We like lively areas--restaurants, bars, people out and about--but want to avoid the most extreme touristic crowds, noise, partying.

I am looking for a well-located hotel (central) that will facilitate this walking plan, but I do not want to be in the most crowded tourist part/s of the city as a base, if possible.

I have looked at the Murmuri on Rambla de Catalunya, but I'm wondering if it's a bit far north--it's almost to the Diagonal. (It's considered the "Eixample.) And I've looked at The Jazz near Placa de Catalunya--but wondering if that is surrounded by car traffic and almost "too" near the Placa.

I have a really open budget. Probably can't go the 400-plus for the fanciest boutique hotels in El Born, but I feel I can go into the 300's if need be. (And do I want to be anywhere as a base in Barri Gotic or El Born?)

I'm very confused--please help if you can. Thanks!
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 06:24 PM

This hotel is in a beautiful walking area. We stayed there for 6 nights. May be a bit out of the way for you:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Rev...Catalonia.html
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 06:30 PM

I stayed at the Andante last summer and was quite happy with the hotel and location. It is very near Las Ramblas. It is a modern European hotel and has a rooftop pool with a fantastic view. The hotel has good reviews and is fairly priced.
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 06:48 PM

I liked Murmuri very much...close to everything and in the most elegant part of the city.
Metro is a easy to navigate, taxis inexpensive.
You can t walk to Catalunya in 10 min .
I have stayed in five different areas of Barcelona and still prefer Eixample .
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 04:43 AM

Can highly recommend BarcelonaBB if you would consider staying in a bed & breakfast. Centrally located in the Eixample district - great neighborhood, restaurants, proximity to the Gaudi houses, La Sagrada Familia, and my favorite site, Hospital Sant Pau. Metro stop 2 blocks away. Also walking distance to the Gracia neighborhood which is another lovely area that many tourists don't get a chance to visit.

BarcelonaBB has a combination of rooms with private or shared baths. Gracious owners who are very helpful with advice. On my first visit to Barcelona 2 years ago, I considered staying in the Born/Barri Gotic areas but am so glad I chose Eixample and this particular B&B - have stayed there twice and will be returning for my 3rd visit the first 2 weeks of Sept. Good luck with your decision and hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much.

I am likely over-thinking this (as usual).

It is reassuring that several of you liked Eixample. And it sounds like the Murmuri is a great place. Yet, I keep turning this decision over and over in my thoughts. Link:

www.murmuri.com/

I have 2 follow up questions, in case anyone has the patience:

In the Fodor's Barcelona guidebook, they say that "Barri Gotic and El Born are the reasons for visiting Barcelona." That's a close quote. However, I guess they do not necessary mean you should base there (because they refer to areas as being "sketchy). So: Are those areas great for day time exploration, but just not as a base?

Also, should I stick with the Murmuri or come down a bit farther toward the Placa Catalunya, like perhaps to the Hotel Jazz Or Pulitzer? Here's a link for The Jazz (and Pulitzer is just around the corner):

www.hoteljazz.com

Thanks again, so much
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 05:54 AM

I use to stay in medieval and vibrant El Born, but if you want to be in the heart of everything in Barri Gotic and next door to both El Born and Placa Catalunya - and still want peace and quiet - you should take a look at Hotel Neri. Part a 12th century palace and part a 18th century mansion house. Our best hotel experience ever in some 30 years of intensive traveling in Spain. http://www.hotelneri.com/en/
https://www.relaischateaux.com/us/sp...luna-barcelona
With fabulous guest reviews: http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/nerihr.en-gb.html

15 % discount if booked and payed 15 days in advance. Meant some 200€/night for a double for us three years ago in mid May, so I think a mid-September stay here can be within your budget. http://www.hotelneri.com/en/promotions

And modern and upscale Eixample is also excellent, listen to danon here.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 06:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've stayed ON "the Ramble" and near Placa Catalunya, and across the square from the gothic cathedral but have yuet to stay in the "Gayzample" and I'm gay for crying out loud!

I disagree that the Gothic Quarter and El Born are "the" reasons for visiting Barcelona. There is an absolute wealth of other sights and activities besides these two guidebook recs IMO.

There are, as you well know, MANY factors involved in what makes the ideal hotel experience including, in your case, that "neighborhood feel" if I may, the distance from other things, the use of the Metro without getting robbed, actually walking down "the Ramble" with its bird sellers, shell games, living statues, and realizing that is as much Barcelona as Sagrada Familia.

Enjoy your stay. Great city.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 07:07 AM

one important point
Rambla is the most touristy place in the city , crowded,fast food heaven
( worth visiting the market and the opera)

Rambla de Catalunya is a beautiful street ( further north),
treelined, filled with cafes and upscale shops
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 07:53 AM

I've stayed in the Jazz and liked it a lot. Being within a couple blocks of the Ramblas and placa Catalunya was very convenioent, not a burden in any way. Because a lot of transportation goes from that point (including the airport bus which stops at Universitat just a short distance from there). that street it is on has some traffic, but not as much as some other streets, anyway. I'm not sure why you think it is surrounded by car traffic or what map you are looking at. It's actually on a small side street that runs between two bigger ones. Sure, there are cars on some streets nearby, but that's true in a lot of the city. It's right near a metro stop, also (several). I asked for a hotel facing an interior "courtyard" anyway and couldn't hear any traffic, it was very quiet.

I don't know why you think the Jazz would be near more traffic than the Murmuri, anyway, which is on a major street and near a major cross street (Provenca). Personally, I would not want to stay that farther away near Diagonal, but as you can see, some people don't mind. I really don't like Murmuri's decor, anyway, though.

I think the Hotel Pulitzer is a convenient location but you are more susceptible to street noise there than at Jazz, depending on the room you get. There's a noisy hostel or bar right across the street from it, also, as I recall.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 10:02 AM

Reasonably moderate rates, comfortable rooms, Spanish Colonial design, right on Gran Via but rooms in the back hear nothing of the traffic...parking garage if you need one. <b>Hotel Gran Via </b>.
(see pics of entrance)

Very convenient half-block to the Placa, the Rambla and it's Touristica busses, and La Boqueria. We enjoyed walking the Rambla (as tacky as it is in spots), constantly veering right or left to stroll various neighborhoods, Cathedral, Gotic, Born etc..Walking the other way, you're in the heart of Gaudi-ville on Passeig Gracia.

Want Barceloneta? Pleasant, flat walk to colorful harbor where you can board the sky-ride to Mont Juic and it's museums. Don't miss the Miro (see pix). My late wife was a longtime Miro enthusiast and I had trouble moving her on!

Pics below include some side trips driving to Dali's Cadaques and Girona. We later drove westward over the Pyrenees to Biarritz, the Guggy and San Sebastian via El Bosque Pintado. All in all, an illuminating, satisfying month of travel.
stu
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 10:10 AM

STAY IN L'EIXAMPLE!!! Not overly crowded - but definitely lively and vibrant.

We are in our 50s and we stayed at THE MAJESTIC - I highly recommend it - soooooo nice and in a great area - close to many sites.

Let's face it - Las Ramblas is ok - but more for young people, or beginner tourists.

VISIT any sites you wish but RELAX in comfort.

ENJOY - The Spanish are so lovely. Stay off the metro - but you know that!!
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 10:10 AM

Hwy101 (me too, off the 101 in Ojai)
https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...ironaCadaques# Enjoy your visit to Barcelona.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 11:14 AM

Here's another recommendation for the Murmuri. It's a lovely hotel in a great location on a beautiful street. My husband and I, in our late 50s at the time, walked everywhere. Request a room on an upper floor overlooking the street.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 02:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We stayed in the Hotel Colon across from the cathedral last year for five days. Great location..walking distance to many sights and the taxi stand two blocks away is convenient for Park Guell, Sagrada Familia and other sights further away. Taxis are very reasonable in Barcelona.

Old Jun 7th, 2016, 10:41 PM

Hotel Colón is a very good option and a Barcelona classic right in the heart of everything, and just 250 meters away from much more quiet Hotel Neri: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...Catalonia.html
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 12:09 AM

I recently travelled for my honeymoon to BCN and used the luxury website Premium Europe for my planning. Their staff was very helpful and I was able to book online as well.
https://www.mypremiumeurope.com/luxu...pain/barcelona

We finally stayed at the W in BCN (what might be to fancy for you) - but I feel the W is perfectly located - at the beach, yet close to the city.
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 04:35 AM

We have stayed in both El Born and Eixample and prefer latter for hotel and for lots of walking (though we spend a lot of time in El Born dining and drinking) We've stayed most consistently at Granados 83 and love it (must admit that rooms are small, but they are interestingly organized and we love the doorman--no kidding.) Our kids stayed at Pulitzer and also liked that. The Majestic, mentioned by someone upthread, always looks lovely.
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 05:00 AM

We are also looking for hotels in mid September. We have a reservation at the Gallery Hotel which is near the Murmuri. Anyone have any comments?
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 08:17 AM

We also stayed at the Hotel Colon… and had a room with a small balcony overlooking the cathedral. On a Sunday morning a group in native dress performed Catalan dances in front of the cathedral. They also used period instruments. As others have said it's a great location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -