Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel & sights in Austria, Germany, Switzerland

May 22nd, 2002, 04:50 PM
Linda

I am beginning to plan my next trip to Europe and was hoping for help.

If all works as planned I will leave June 2nd or 3rd and return June 13th or early the 14th.

I was hoping to fit in Salzburg, Munich, Vienna & Switzerland. I plan to travel by train once I arrive.

What is the best order of travel? Is this too much for 10 days? What are the not to be missed sights? What are the best mid-range priced hotels(3-star)?

May 22nd, 2002, 06:59 PM
Uncle Sam

IMHO it is too much. I would suggest 2 days Salzburg, 3 days Munich and 5 in Vienna.

As for hotels, you do not mention the price range, however for moderate prices consider these.

Salzburg...Hotel Stiglbrau and Hotel Zum Hirshen

Munich...Hotel Uhland

Vienna...do not know any.

US

May 22nd, 2002, 07:07 PM
Bob Brown

I think trying to do Switzerland and the others is too much. It is a long ways from Vienna to Zürich -- an all day trip if you do it all at once.

In Munich, I like the Hotel Astoria.
It is in the low $100 range for a large double room and a first class breakfast -- all you could possibly eat.
It is located in Schwabing, just off of Leopoldstrasse and near the Englischer Garten, and two Ubahn stops from downtown.

In Vienna, I liked the Hotel Carlton Opera. Again priced in the low $100 for a nice double room with a good bathroom. A first class breakfast is included at this hotel also. It is just outside of the Ring, and the tram is close to the entrance. I liked the hotel because it is air conditioned!!
I slept well. The beds in both hotels for us were about that of a king bed, perhaps slightly larger.

If you do Switzerland, devote the full 10 days to it, but don't go to Switzerland to visit cities. You go to Switzerland for the mountains.

I returned to Europe in 1998 for the first time in quite a few years. I had done the cities, so I headed straight for the mountains and spent 13 wonderful days roaming about before heading for Zürich and my flights home.

Jun 1st, 2002, 02:09 PM
TTT

TOPPING

Jun 1st, 2002, 04:42 PM
Ann S.

Hi, Linda. My husband and I just got back from Germany. We flew into Munich, then took the train to Salzburg. We didn't get to Vienna, as we went back to Germany. In Munich we stayed at the Platzl hotel near the Marienplatz. It's kind of pricey, but very nice and has a great breakfast. It's very close to the old town. We spent 2 days in Munich, but if you want to see Museums you might want to add an extra day. We took the train to Salzburg, and we were there for 2 days. OUr hotel was the Alstadt Hotel Wolf Dietrich, again very nice, Kind of small, but close to walk to the old town. I would spend at least 3 days in Salzburg, in my opinion it was much nicer than Munich. I would have liked more time there. I think if you go to Vienna you should spend at least 3 or 4 days there. Like the above poster said, you might want to see Switzerland on its own. Hope this helps!

Jun 1st, 2002, 07:56 PM
Linda

You certainly have a nice name! Try nethotels.com for good hotel and event information in Salzburg, Vienna and--I think--Munich (although it may be listed as Munchen). In Vienna I enjoyed both Hotelpension Arenberg (4* but not pricey and part of Best Western chain)--it is within the Ring and has that posh Vienna feel. For a 3*, I was at Hotel Drei Kronen--just outside the Ring and near the University. It has a good buffet breakfast.
I think in your time allotment, you will be lucky to fit in the 3 cities. There are some great day trips outside of Munich. Vienna is a tremendous city of culture. Try a torte and coffee at Demels and weinerschnitzel at Figlmullers and, of course, the Sacher torte at the Sacher Hotel. Take a trip through the Vienna Woods and try new wine at the local cafes. Andre Rieu plays Vienna most of the time and has a good orchestra.