Search

Munich to Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich to Vienna

Hi,
I am exploring the idea of a trip in mid-May to Munich - Salzburg - Hallstatt - Vienna. Flying in to Munich and out of Vienna. I would appreciate your thoughts on this plan...and feel free to offer any suggestions. It would probably a 10 day trip. Other ideas I have had included Munich - Berner Oberland area...and then back to fly out of Munich. Or skipping Germany all together and concentrating on Switzerland.
I look forward to any feedback. Thanks.
STP
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 08:18 AM
JN

Describe the things you'd like to do/see and maybe that will help people make suggestions. For example, do you like big or small cities or small towns in the countryside? Do you like to hike? shop? visit museums? Are musical performances your thing? Are mountains or lakes or rolling hills your favorite scenery?
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 09:33 AM
JonJon

If you decide to do the Munich/Switzerland number I would definitely consider flying out of Switzerland (Zurich or Geneva) than trooping BACK to Munich...you may as well take a fast train to Frankfurt and fly out of there.
However, without knowing what your particular interests are it is hard to advise farther and I will not, as some who post here always do, ASSUME that you are necessarily interested in the Ludwig castles, getting drunk in beer halls, etc. The more we know about what you expect the more useful will be the information provided.

Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Good point. Here are more details...
I am traveling with my best friend from college...we are finally taking our Europe trip together - quite a few years later. We are interested in a mix of cities and the countryside. We are both active people who enjoy museums, cafes, hiking and beer halls. I thought that Munich to Salzburg to Hallstatt and then Vienna would be a good mix of the two...Do you think it is? Or, is there a better mix in your opinion?
Would it be easy using the train systems - or would you recommend a car? Our dates are TBD but looking at mid-May for about 10 days.
I have been to Berlin, Koln and Dusseldorf but missed out on Southern Germany the last time I was in the region and have wanted to go back for some time.
Thanks for your pointers.
STP
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:58 PM

Here's my two cents worth:

Four nights in Munich with a day trip to Garmisch and a half-day trip to Dachau. Two nights in Salzburg. The rest of the time in Vienna.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:08 PM

Hi Panda, I have done variations of your ideas for a trip several times.
About any variation you care to make is going to be fine. The only cautions are these: May tends to be a down month for many of the mountain resorts in Switzerland -- post ski season, pre summer season. You will find places open, but not as many. Mountain trails may still be snowed in, but most of the cable lift type of rides should be opening up for service. However, in saying that, if extensive maintenance is needed after a winter of use, it is done in May which can mean down time for repairs.

On the other hand, Grindelwald seems to go non stop as does Lauterbrunnen.
Of the two, Grindelwald is much larger.
Lauterbrunnen is a neat little valley town hemmed in by high valley sides.
Wengen and Mürren are two well-known resorts up on the side of the valley well above the floor. They are reached by train, cable car (Mürren), foot, or helicopter.

All 3 of the airports, Munich, Zurich, and Vienna are accessible, but they are all well out from the city center. The Zürich airport is probably the easiest to reach because it is a station on a mainline of the Swiss Federal Railway, e.g. trains to Munich and some trains to Bern and Interlaken stop at the airport, and local trains go there frequently almost all day.

The Strauss airport in Munich is about an hour from town, which means some careful planning to make your flight connection. It is also the largest of the 3. I only flew out of Vienna once, and we took a taxi to the airport. The facility itself was easy to use.

The train trips involved are potentially long. Zürich - Munich is about 4.5 hours depending on which connection. Your best travel time Munich - Vienna is also about 4 hours, 30 minutes. The long jump is of course Vienna to Zürich - 9 hours is the best time. That could be divided with stops in Salzburg - Hallstatt. (Train toward Salsburg, change at Attnang Puchheim for AHallstatt.

Of course you could also drive it, but a car in Munich and in Vienna is an expensive proposition just to park it.
Even salzburg is not a cheap deal in the central city. I think I paid something like $12.00 for half a day.
And trying to drive around Vienna is not easy because of the parking. Where do you put it after you get there?

If I can give farther ideas, ask here.
I check the board almost daily.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:09 PM

No question for me, I'd rent a car and drive the Alpenstrasse.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:12 PM

I absolutely love Hallstatt but it's not so easy to get to by train. You then have to take a ferry across the lake. But it is lovely and there won't be so many tourists in May.

The Alt Stadt of Salzburg can be done pretty much in a day, but I would allow as much time as possible for Vienna. My suggestion would be 3 nights in Munich, 1 or 2 nights in Salzburg, 1 night Hallstatt and the rest in Vienna. Save Switzerland for another trip.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:41 PM

I agree that the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse is one of the most scenic drives in Austria, if not the most scenic. Spectacular to say the least. But would the route be open in May? I have only been there in early September.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 05:39 AM

Just a quick note about Hallstatt and trains. We didn't find it difficult at all (one change from Salzburg, I think), and the ferry meets every train. I think it's the perfect way to arrive at this little gem.