Hot or cold?

Oct 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Hot or cold?

Looks like there's a fare sale from now through March with AF/KLM and other airlines offering some deals. I have to take vacation time by February so thinking of going the first week of February.

Fare to Copenhagen is well under $800 from SFO, for instance. Fares to Barcelona and Madrid are a bit more. Not really hot even in Spain but you could go to Andalusia for moderate weather.

Or maybe the Southern Hemisphere or SE Asia.

Kind of undecided here. I've gone to Switzerland and Austria in January or February and it was fine. But further south, not only is it warmer, you have a couple more hours of daylight.

Where have you gone in late January, early February? Or is anyone planning trips in the same time frame?
Oct 15th, 2010, 11:25 AM

I love Spain and Italy during that time of the year-no lines,usually great weather(light jacket for those of us from Chicago!)decent prices for everything and the best part? Go where there is sun but you don't have to wear your bathing suit!!!
Oct 15th, 2010, 11:30 AM

I go skiing in the Sierra Nevadas or COlorado. Or to Mexican Riviera Maya.

Why would it be hot in Spain, it's in Europe, not near the tropic of Cancer.
Oct 15th, 2010, 12:21 PM

Barcelona in late January. Nice enough to sit outside for lunch with a light jacket. Lovely.
Oct 15th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Barcelona sounds good and I want to go to Mallorca but the problem may be rain that time of the year.

Madrid is more dry and colder but I went last year. Italy is colder than Spain, it appears.

The northern or eastern cities are colder still but dry. Haven't been to Copenhagen or Munich and Prague, which are some other destinations I'm considering.
Oct 15th, 2010, 12:45 PM

I'd go for hot. The Caribbean is my go to place in February.
From your list I'd pick Barcelona.

I'm not keen on cold at any time and February can be bleak in N.Europe. I've been to Belgium (cold with a little snow), Paris (wet and cold) and London many times (warmer than Massachusetts at least and last time there were daffodils blooming in the parks in Feb).
Oct 15th, 2010, 01:12 PM

We've been to Tanzania then, and to the Canaries, but mostly we just hunker down and hope for an early spring.
It is a miserable time usually in northern Europe, which short days, and greyness. Sometimes there is snow, like this year, and a cold sunny snap, but normally grey and dark is the rule.

So if I were you I'd head south - as far south as your money will take you.
Oct 15th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Actually, CA where I am is probably warmer than any place in Europe, except possibly Malaga or some parts of Italy. Or Greece.

Looks like if I wait 6 more weeks, towards end of March, the fares aren't that much higher but the temperatures should be much warmer and much more daylight.
Maybe take a shorter trip at the end of January, start of February for a couple of days down to San Diego and save up for March ...
Oct 15th, 2010, 06:29 PM

Good plan scrb11!
Oct 16th, 2010, 01:42 AM

Sounds like an excellent plan scrb11 .
Oct 20th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

So Barcelona is looking more and more likely for the week of March 20th.

I was thinking about taking a flight to Majorca and staying for 2-3 days and then spend the rest of the week in Barcelona.

But there could still be a lot of rain in Majorca in March and a lot of smaller towns would be closed. Of course it's probably as likely that there would be rain in Barcelona too, but at least I wouldn't be out the time and expense of going to Majorca.

So day trips from Barcelona would be the alternative to flying out to the island. Only day trip I did on my previous trip to Barcelona was Montserrat. Tarragona and Costa Brava are obvious options.

Who's been to these places as well as Majorca?