Reload this Page >

Horseback Riding experines in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 09:31 PM
KMcD

If anyone taken an equestrian vacation in Ireland, could you please let me know where in Ireland, what riding faclity you used and what were your experiences pro and con. I am considering taking one in May either in the Ring of Kerry area, Kilkenney or Northern Ireland near the Irish Sea/Mountains of Mourne.<BR><BR>Thank you!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 03:04 AM
Jules

KMcD - hi, I took a week's riding vacation two years ago through Equitours in Sligo, Ireland. It was wonderful! Lots of cantering along the beaches, tough trail riding up mountains and through forests, relaxing riding through fields and through little towns and villages. We stayed two nights at the Makree Castle and the rest of the time at bed and breakfasts. It was a wonderful trip and I had a blast. Granted it did rain a little bit every day (I was there in June) but you just wear your slicker and boots and ride right through it all. Last year I took one in Provence through Cross Country and it was fantastic. If you want more details let me know.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 06:10 AM
Velvet

topping

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 06:48 AM
Kyle

It's so difficult to ride and hold that Guinesss in the other hand.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:25 AM
KMcD

Jules - Love to hear of your experience in Provence. I used to ride years ago from 12yrs-14yrs old then it fell to the side because of school, jobs, cost, etc. I started taking lessons in October and by Equitours classification I would be considered a Beginner-Novice so the Markee trail would probably be to ambitious for me. That's why I considered the Mountains of Mourne trail (Equitours) or the Ring of Kerry Trail (Cross-Country) because they emphasize that they cater to beginners plus its a wonderful combination of the varied landscapes of Ireland. I am hoping that as I get more time under the saddle I will take equestrian vactions in France and Italy (especailly Cross-Country's Tuscan Trail ride). Thank you for your response and look forward to hearing about France.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:24 AM
Jules

K - I have also looked seriouly at the Mountains of the Mourne trip through Equitours and it's suppose to be wonderful. Great scenery, nice places to stay - nothing too fancy - but nice and comfortable, a bit of sightseeing and pub crawling as well. I have been thinking of Cross Country's Italy ride for this summer/fall and am going to try to decide soon. The ride I went on this last June was their Inn to Inn ride in Provence. The horses were excellent - all very nice and calm but would go when you asked them too. I consider myself a decent rider - I'm no pro - and I did fine. There were two girls from France on the trip who have been on 6 Cross Country trips through the same outfitter in Provence and love them. We also has a newlywed couple who hadn't ridden in years and they did just fine. The food was to die for - just endless amounts of the most wonderful food you can imagine. We stayed everynight in a different B&amp;B or small hotel and all were decent - some a bit small - but nice. We rode 4 to 6 hours a day - always taking a couple hours mid-day for a big lunch and then a quick nap and even though we didn't get in much sightseeing (except what we saw on the back of our horses which was all beautiful)it was the trip of a lifetime and I can't wait to go on another one next year. <BR><BR>Hope you decide to go on a riding trip. I think you will have a great time. If you have any questions...feel free to write.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 03:49 AM
Whoa

topping

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 04:35 AM
horses

Aille Cross in Loughrea - Co. Galway. They have rides from their property and also do a Commemara trail ride. Or, during the season, you can fox hunt with the Galway Blazers. Great fun, although a little scary.<BR><BR>I suggest you bring your own helmet.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Ann

If you're interested in serious riding instruction, Horetown House in County Wexford is a wonderful vacation as well as great riding, and lessons are with a BHSII instructor who coached the Irish Olympic team.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Cory

topping for more info