Reload this Page >

Ireland and the proverbial teenager!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Susie

I have searched this sight for info and was unable to find any, so if this is a repetitive question, please excuse me. I would like to go to England, Ireland and Scotland this summer with my husband and sons ages 12 and 15. My 15 year old in his infinite wisdom thinks that once you've seen one castle, you've seen them all and that Ireland is nothing but green fields. Having never been there, but really wanting to go and share it with my children of Irish descent, is Ireland interesting or fascinating enough for teens? The boys have been to east coast beaches, maine, nyc, boston, philly, dc,etc, as well as lots in the caribbean and texas. They loved all places. Thanks for any help!!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 07:41 PM
cd

We did mostly a driving tour of Ireland and I feel it has more of an appeal to adults. We loved the scenery. We loved the history. We loved the terrain! The stone fences climb mountain after mountain and field after field and were all laid by hand! We loved the pubs and peat fires and music. We loved the harbor towns, clifts, and narrow streets. We loved hearing the people talk. We only went thru a few castles but there are ruins everywhere. I suppose there are many ways to see Ireland and maybe a way other then the way we visited would appeal more to the young. We passed many who were biking and hiking.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Susie

Thanks, cd. I just might take them to England, France and Germany and save Ireland and Scotland for the husband and me!

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 03:02 PM
cd

Susie<BR>I'm going to top this and see if anyone else has differant information for you.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 02:19 PM
xxx

Sounds like you should take the kids to Disney instead. Wait till they are away at college and then you and your husband can enjoy what you want then. Later on (in their 30s or 60s) your sons might enjoy seeing where their ancestors came from. But until they mature they will have the attitude that every castle is the same and every country is only as good as the closest McDonalds. Sometimes kids and culture don't mix so why waste your money?

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Kevin

Don't see why they wouldn't enjoy Ireland and Scotland if they would enjoy England, Germany and France.<BR><BR>Maybe if you and your sons of Irish descent actually knew something about Irish history, they might find visiting there fascinating.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:27 AM
bill

I have to agree with Kevin and xxx. I can't imagine what is so much different about England that would make a teenager happier there. It sounds like Disney would be the place for them unless you want to take the time to educate them on the area and try to get them excited about it. Then again, you know your kids and may realize that they may not get excited about any of the things that any of those countries has to offer.<BR><BR>What were you going to do in England, Germany and France that you couldn't do in Ireland and Scotland?<BR><BR>Bill

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 03:10 PM
maxie

If your teenager doesn't think he'll be interested in Ireland, leave him at home. Sounds harsh, but we left our daughter at home who thought Ireland would just be "old stuff", and guess what, we were glad we did. My husband and I could take our time dining and sightseeing without worrying about entertainment for the kid. Larger cities in England, etc. might provide enough sensory input to make the teen happy. Good luck!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Pittsburgher

My (then)15-yr-old son made his second trip to Ireland summer before last, for five weeks (without his parents!) and loved every minute. We all made our first trip to Europe together, when he was 8, and we've been going ever since - fortunately, he inherited his mother's travel gene. I guess my theory is that they'll find something of interest wherever they go -- which is fine, as long as they don't make ME miserable -- but you'll be the best judge of that! <BR><BR>If they'll pout and make you miserable, leave them home, or take a less expensive trip until that's possible - no sense in everyone being miserable!