Search

Honeymoon to Italy Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon to Italy Help

Hello,
My fiance and I will be married next month at the end of March and we will be travelling to Italy for our Honeymoon. She is a ballerina and I am a photographer and musician. We love art and history and are excited to venture through Italy. I have a basic outline of our travel plans so far and I'd love your feedback. I really hope we aren't biting off more than we can chew. We thought about leaving off Venice to spend more time other places, but I hope this is a solid plan. In total, we will have 6 hotels for this whole adventure. I do photography for the Westin, so we have several comped nights and plan on using them in Italy. Your feedback is much appreciated.
4/1 Arrive in Rome 9:30AM then taking the train immediately to Venice (3hr45m train ride) Sleep in venice at Westin
4/2 Venice
4/3 Venice
4/4 Train to Florence (2 hr train ride) Sleep in Florence at Westin
4/5 Florence
4/6 Florence
4/7 Rent a car and drive to Cortona (1hr by car) Here we are booked for an 8 hour cooking class. My fiance comes from a long line of italian chefs and loves to cook. Sleep here in Cortona after all the wine. =)
4/8 Drive to Soriano nel Cimino (1hr45min) and stay at Palazzo Catalani. My mom is a diamond resort owner and gifted us 2 nights here. We've already booked this room and are locked in. I'd love feedback on this town. Looks like a cool old town.
Note: We are excited to drive through the country side of Tuscany which prompted much of this portion.
4/9 Soriano nel Cimino
4/10 Long Drive to Ravello (3hr45m) I think I want to stay in Ravello for our Amalfi Coast Portion. I'm not set. What do you think?
4/11 Amalfi (Stay in Ravello?)
4/12 Amalfi
Note: I assume it's best to drive to the Amalfi from Sorano since we already have the car. We planned on dropping it back off when we get to Rome. Would love feedback regarding easiest travel.
4/13 Drive to Rome (3 hours) Drop off Car Rental and stay at Westin
4/14 Rome
4/15 Rome
4/16 Fly Home
Thanks for looking and for your advice!
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 03:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>4/1 Arrive in Rome 9:30AM<<<

Arrive Rome at that time or FCO?

I think you might be underestimating drive times.

On the Amalfi coast, make sure any hotel has parking (many don't).
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 05:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What did you hope to see/do in Florence? Your only full days there are Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. Many sights are closed on Mondays and not open every Sunday.

You should make reservations wherever possible, i.e., Uffizi Gallery.

http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/en/musei/tutti.php

The direct route from Florence to Cortona will take closer to 2 hours. The more interesting route through the heart of Chianti (SR222, aka Strada Chiantigiana) could take 4 hours, not counting for stops in any of the charming towns.

The direct route from Cortona to Soriano nel Cimino would take at least 2 hours. If you wanted to take in the iconic Tuscan scenery of the Crete Senesi and the Val d'Orcia, the drive would take closer to 5 hours, not counting for any stops.

Ditto SNC to Ravello. The A1 will get you there in about 4 hours, but if you wanted to take a more interesting route, say, into part of the Abruzzo region, the drive could take all day.

(Actually, if this was my trip, I wouldn't do all that driving for just 3 nights in the Amalfi Coast area. But this is your trip, so carry on.)

Make sure you educate yourself on ZTLs (limited traffic zones) which most cities and towns in Italy have instituted. You can't drive into these zones without the risk of receiving an expensive traffic citation. You'll need to get an International Driving Permit.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 05:12 PM

What time does your cooking class begin? If it's 8 hours, I assume it might start in the morning. Rental car offices often have more limited hours that you might be used to. Make sure you can pick up your car early enough to make it to your class in time.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 05:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
And where are you picking up the car in Florence?
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 05:29 PM

A couple of notes:

Unlike the US car rental offices are not open 6 am to 11 pm - but might not open until 8 or 9 am.

That part of April is early for the AC - it will not be swimming weather and pools will not be full (expect highs of not more than 55 to 60). If you really want to see Pompeii - then fine - but don;t count on the beach resort part at that time of year (mid May is the beginning of the pool season).
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 06:48 PM

My first question is: is there a reason you are not flying into Venice instead of flying into Rome and then taking the train? It would be easier to just fly to Venice.

I think Ravello is a lovely place to stay if you have the car. (not so easy to get from Ravello to other places on the AC when you are dependant on the bus) A beautiful spot for part of your honeymoon, one of my favourites on the Amalfi.
Make sure the car you get is a small one as parking spots are small and tight on the Amalfi.

Have a great time!
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 07:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Fly open jaw (multi-city option on airline website) into Venice and out of Rome or maybe Naples.

That way, you put all of your Rome or Amalfi time at the end of your trip and save some valuable time.
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 03:29 AM

This itinerary is WAY too busy and too stressful, trying to cram too much in. It assumes everything will go well and travel will be easy. It won't. Italy sees a lot of rain in April, and it's possible you'll need to work around rain every day. Not fun and annoying.

I know a few newlyweds who made the mistake of doing a trip like this for their honeymoon. It didn't end the marriage but, if they had to do it over again, they would slow down and plan differently. Trips like these are easily forgettable. There's no time for any details to sink in. As a photographer, you will seriously limit your time in great light, and you won't have a second to re-visit a composure that's worth a second attempt.

I would save Amalfi for another romantic visit, and I would go end of May/early June, or the month of September. Photography could be great in April with stormy dramatic skies, but you need at least two weeks to gamble on the weather. IMO, two days in Amalfi is not worth much.
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 04:36 AM

It seems like the Amalfi portion of your trip is the part for which you do not yet have reservations and provides the most complications for your travel. Perhaps consider adding time to Tuscany and/or Rome and dropping the Amalfi from this itinerary? Or, at a minimum, make cancelable reservations in Ravello, so if you decide while you're there that you'd prefer more time in Tuscany rather than take in that long drive, you could do so.

And I agree with the suggestion above that if it's at all possible to fly into Venice, that would certainly save you considerable time and effort. Even if you've already bought your airline tickets, a change fee is usually around $75, which would be worth the time and money you'd give to the train ride. Keep in mind that in order to get a train to Venice, I believe you'd first need to get from the airport (FCO) to the main train station (Termini) in Rome, which takes about an hour.

But overall, you have selected beautiful places to visit and I am sure you will love Italy. Buon viaggio!
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 07:07 AM

Concur with the two commenters immediately above to drop the AC from this trip. Also to do an open-jaw ticket to Venice and out of Roma.

Best wishes for your marriage and buon viaggio.
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback! Here are a few changes.

We are able to fly from Rome to Venice for $55 and plan on doing that rather than take the train.

We are considering leaving the Amalfi Coast off the itinerary. Is there another place between Soriano and Rome that we would stop for that Amalfi feel? Picturesque seaside village with good food and relaxation?
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 11:54 AM

Tuscany has a coastline. Google "La Maremma."
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 02:49 PM

At the time of year you are going, the Tuscan coast doesn't have quite the same odds as the areas south of Naples do. But take a look at Porto Ercole. I wouldn't spend more than 3 nights there, and would give the extra time to Rome.
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 02:57 PM

I wouldn't stay in Santa Marinella, but if you stay in Porto Ercole, you might consider going here for lunch one day, perhaps on your way to Porto Ercole or on your way to Rome.

http://www.elizabethminchilliinrome....nta-marinella/

You can also find good food and historic sights in Tarquina, again, on your way to or from Porto Ercole.
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 03:14 PM

Another thought: Since you are already so far south in Tuscany, you might leave Soriano nel Cimino and drive to Sperlonga -- which is south of Rome but only about 30 minutes more driving than if you went to the Tuscan coast. You might have a chance for a smidge warmer weather there -- but no guarantees. It is unpredictable. But Sperlonga is a lovely historic town and doing day trips from there is a little bit easier than from Porto Ercole.

From Sperlonga, you could take an easy drive up the coast to FCO airport and drop off your car and use the airport shuttle or train to get into Rome, whichever is more convenient for the Westin.

http://www.elizabethminchilliinrome....way-from-rome/