Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Suggestions in the Almafi Coast?

Jan 10th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

My fiancé and I are going to the Almafi Coast for our honeymoon and would love some suggestions on our itinerary and where to stay / things to do. Here's what we've got so far!

August 5th - Travel from Chicago to Rome
August 6th - 8th - Two nights in Rome
August 8th - 16th - Nine nights in Postiano (Day trips to Naples, Capri, Sorento, and Pompei)
August 16th - Travel from Postiano to Rome and fly out of Rome to Chicago

We are big wine lovers so suggestions on that would be helpful as well!

Thanks so much!

Kristina
Jan 10th, 2015, 04:17 PM

I would book ASAP for August. Also, I would travel to the AC on day one and spend 4 nights in Rome at the end:

BOB’S FAVORITE HOTELS ON THE AMALFI COAST---2014

POSITANO: 3 STAR HOTELS---150 TO 250E FOR DOUBLE—AVERAGE 170E

1. www.villarosapositano.it Popular hotel with great views—lots of steps

2. www.hotelcaliforniapositano.it Small hotel near above—great terrace

3. www.casalbertina.it Fabulous views, but you will need good legs

4. http://www.reginellahotel.it/en/hotel/ terrific value & views—no lift

POSITANO: 4 STAR HOTELS---200 TO 350E FOR TYPICAL DOUBLE

5. www.bucadibacco.it On the beach—nice hotel and great food

6. www.hotelposeidonpositano.it Hard to beat in this price range

7. www.puntaregina.com Terrific views and helpful hosts--romantic

8. www.palazzomurat.it Very nice centro location—historic site

9. http://www.marincanto.it/ Love the views and the pool

AMALFI , SORRENTO, RAVELLO:

1. http://www.villaoriana.it/en Charming boutique hotel on hill above Sorrento

2. http://www.hotelantichemura.com/en/ Perfect location in centro Sorrento

3. http://www.villamaria.it/ Lovely 4 star in Ravello with terrific food

4. http://www.hotelsantacaterina.it/en/index Your splurge option near Amalfi
Jan 10th, 2015, 05:20 PM

With 9 nights on the AC I would probably do 2 different hotels. One in Positano for local relaxing and one in Sorrento - or even Capri. Getting to anyplace from Sorrento is much easier/faster (since it has train, bus, can and lots of ferry/hydrofoil connections) then Positano, from which you need to take either the (mobbed) local bus on the cliff road or an expensive taxi.

Also, Capri is mobbed during the day by trippers - but is much different at night if you actually want to spend any time there.
Jan 10th, 2015, 05:54 PM

It is extremely difficult in August to move around the Amalfi coast sightseeing any way but by ferry -- and the ferries are quite crowded.

If you want to do a lot of sightseeing, positioning yourself in Positano will make it very difficult to do. Also bear in mind that in August, if you cannot get to Pompei very early in the morning, you can end up broiling from too much sun and heat. There is no shade at Pompei. You are walking around a town-sized rock pile.

Will you be leaving for your honeymoon directly after your wedding? If so, what might work better for you is to go directly from Rome to Capri and just chill for a few days. Then switch to Positano for a few nights. Then take an early morning taxi to Pompei (put your luggage at the entrance while you tour the site) and afterwards head up to Rome by train for the last days of of your honeymoon.
Jan 10th, 2015, 05:57 PM

PS: The way to go from Rome to Capri is to land in Rome, take a train to Napoli, take a taxi to the ferry docks, take the ferry to Capri.

From Capri, you can take a ferry to Positano.

From Positano, you can get a taxi to Pompei or you can go by bus and commuter train -- but you must leave early in the morning, not only because of the heat but also because the one road out of Positano turns into a traffic jam very quickly in August because so many people are there.

From Pompei you can get a train to Rome (with a switch in Napoli) . Takes 2 hours or less.
Jan 11th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Here's what we decided on:

August 5th - Fly to Chicago
August 6th - August 11th - Positano, Hotel Reginella
August 11th - August 13th - Capri - Capri Inn
August 13th - August 16th - Rome - Infinity Hotel St. Peter
August 16th - Fly from Rome to Chicago

Any other suggestions on things to do and/or websites for ferry or train station information would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Kristina
Jan 11th, 2015, 04:38 PM

I would include Herculinium as one of the places to visit as well as Pompei. Much smaller, but was covered with mud instead of hot ash so a lot of the wooden walk ways other items were well preserved. A little hard to find, but worth the visit. If you remember this is the place where they found mummified remains of people huddling near the beach trying to escape.
Jan 11th, 2015, 06:10 PM

kosberg

Looks good to me
Jan 11th, 2015, 07:58 PM

Sandralist, I am curious as to why you say that as we will be in Positano in May and hope to visit other towns on the coast by bus and ferry.
Jan 11th, 2015, 08:00 PM

In your last post, was flying to Chicago on August 5 correct? What a date are you departing from Chicago? Arriving in Positano on the 6th? Are you still flying into Rome? Any possibility doing multi-city, flying into Naples and out of Rome? It would save a good bit of time. However, you probably have non-stop flights, and that is nice.
When laying out your itinerary, count days only once and allow for travel time. I am guessing, for example, that you are departing Capri on the 13th and will have 3 nights (2 & 1/2 days) in Rome. Correct?
Jan 11th, 2015, 08:05 PM

The OP is traveling in August, when the Amalfi drive is for most of the day one long traffic jam. Things are marginally better in May. The OP also mentioned going to Pompei, which at any time of year means a time-consuming or expensive journey, which makes it hard to arrive in Pompei before it heats up, which is a real problem in August.

The OP also mentioned wanting to see Naples, and that requires a time consuming journey from Positano.

If your agenda in May is Positano, Amalfi town, Ravello and Capri then that is more doable.
Jan 11th, 2015, 09:21 PM

Thank you, Sandralist.
Jan 12th, 2015, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Sorry, I meant we are leaving Chicago to fly to Rome on the 5th.

Any direction on what is the best way to get from Rome to Positano and from Capri to Rome?
Jan 12th, 2015, 08:48 AM
ekc

IMO, the best way to get to Positano from Rome is to take the train to Salerno, then take the ferry from Salerno to Positano. There are porters you can hire to take your luggage from the ferry dock to your hotel. Especially in August (and even in May), the ferries are really the best way to get from town on town on the AC. www.coopsantandrea.com for the ferry schedules. There will be more ferries, especially in the evening, in late July/August.

Your hotel is very near the apartment I rent each June and is in a great location. You are high enough in the village to have great views, but close enough to the beach that the steps won't kill you.

To get back to Rome from Capri, you would take the ferry from Capri to Naples, then the train from Naples to Rome.
Jan 12th, 2015, 08:50 AM
ekc

But if you have not yet purchased your airline tickets, I would highly recommend flying into Naples and out of Rome. Usually buying "multi-city" or "open jaw" tickets is not that much more expensive than RT out of one city.

If you can fly into Naples, then I would recommend hiring a driver to take you to your hotel in Positano. The best 100 euro I spend every year!
Jan 12th, 2015, 10:56 AM
ekc

I just remembered that you said you are wine lovers. We spent a charming day at Vigne di Raito, which is down near Salerno. We had a vineyard tour and lunch at the winery, with great views out to the sea.

You take the ferry from Positano to Salerno and they will arrange for transportation to the winery. You could combine it with a visit to the town of Vietri Sul Mare, which is famous for its ceramics. The winery is actually located in the hamlet of Raito, which is a "suburb" of Vietri Sul Mare. You can get from Vietri to Salerno via bus OR train.
Jan 12th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'll check on the price difference for flights. Do you need to purchase the travel tickets with the ferry and train in advance?

Love the idea about the winery. Is there a website where I can arrange this?

Thanks!
Kristina