honeymoon in Italy, help me plan trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need advice and suggestions for a romantic honeymoon!!!<BR><BR>If you had two weeks in September and $6,000, where would you go, what would you see and what hotels would you stay in?<BR><BR>Would love to hear everyone's suggestions.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 01:14 PM

Well, Venice is probably the most romantic city in Italy that I have been to. September would be a good time to visit, as most of the summer tourists will have returned home. I always stay at Cipriani while in Venice, but just 6 nights accomodation here will eat up your 6 grand. $6,000 is not a lot of money for 2 weeks in Italy for 2 people. You will have to stay inreasonable hotels and not splurge on eating in great restaurants. But, it can be done with planning. (You won't be able to spend at Gucci or Prada either.) Do you want to stay in one place, or see different towns? I think Venice, combined with Bologna would be a good idea. You could take the train.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 03:01 PM

Dear Fairsat,<BR>many congats. on your engagment,I agree with the previous poster you really can not go wrong with Vencie. I would also consider the Amalfi Coast either Capri or Posianto? <BR>It would be worth some investigation, its about as romantic as you can get.<BR>If you want info. on lodging and/or restaurants feel free to email me directly.<BR>Fluffy<BR> p.s. I would suggest checking out karenbrown.com to get a sense of the landscape, and italyby.com<BR>Best of luck<BR>Fluffy<BR><BR>
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 03:47 PM

Hi Fairsat,<BR> I am also planning a honeymoon to Italy in September (Venice 3 days, Florence 5 days, Rome 3 days). I've been reading the helpful posts on this site and have also gotten a few books to try to narrow down where we will go. I've heard Italy is expensive but from the information that people have posted here, it is totally possible to get by on $6k. There are reasonable hotel rooms for $200 and less. We originally wanted to go to the Amalfi Coast area but because we don't want to rent a car people advised against it. Good luck - when in Sept are you going? What could be more romantic than Italy?
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 04:20 PM
ira

Ummmm, My wife and I are able to do 2 wks in Italy for under $5000.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 04:25 PM

Hello Fairsat, You might want to check my article on &quot;Travel Budget for Italy&quot; at slowtrav.com. You budget should be fine. As for itinerary, I would plan no more than 4 destinations. Let me suggest two--one north and one south.<BR><BR>North: Into Venice, depart Milan or reverse with 4 destinations:<BR><BR>Venice-Lake Como-Florence-Cinque Terre.<BR><BR>South: Fly into and out of Rome.<BR> Amalfi coast-Tuscan hill towns-Florence--Rome<BR><BR>Sep. is a great time to go. Decide your itinerary first and then go to step 2.<BR>Good luck !
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Ira,<BR>where are you going ? Where are you staying?<BR><BR>Say I was thinking Rome and then Positano any suggestions?
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 05:03 PM

Seven and a half years ago I spent 10 nights in Italy in September on my Honeymoon.<BR>Here's what we did:<BR>Arrived in Venice-2 nights<BR>Took Train to Florence-2 nights.<BR>Picked up car-drove to Orvieto-1 night<BR>Drove to Amalfi Coast-3 nights in Positano.<BR>Drove back to Rome (drop off car)-2 nights<BR>(note, we had been to Florence and Rome before so we didn't need to spend as much time there).<BR>Italy is perfect for a 2 week honeymoon! Don't miss the Amalfi coast-I've been 3 times and would go again. It's VERY romantic.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 02:32 AM

I am well past the honeymoon stage (35 years married) but as I am a romantic at heart, Venice would be the place for me. Someone mentioned the Cipriani - that is the most expensive hotel in Venice. If you are looking for something more reasonable, the Hotel Colombina is supposed to be very good. I havent been there but met an American lawyer last year in Rome and he said it was a very good 4 star. Capri, Ravello and Positano are also very romantic places and very romantic hotels in these areas if you look up the web. Positano (The Poseidon Hotel 4 star) La Sirenuse (5 star), Villa Rosa. Capri Hotels: Quisana (very expensive) Casa Morgano, Luna (ask for seaview rooms). The Palazzo Sasso in Ravello is supposed to be the mostromantic place. Ravello is very quiet and peaceful and magnificent views of the Amalfi Coast.<BR>If you want to see Rome (Hotel del Russie - expensive)<BR>Hope this helps, Have a wonderful honeymoon!!!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 02:44 AM

I'm not an expert on Italy, but have just returned from a short visit. If you are looking for a nice, charming, romantic hotel in Venice, be sure to review the Pensione Accademia Villa Maravege. We loved the location on the canal, and it had lovely gardens all around for breakfast or drinks outside.<BR>Congratulations on your engagement!<BR>
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 03:13 AM

Keep in mind that there are very nice 2 and 3 star hotels as well. The star system is based on a checklist of amenities offered by the hotel, not location, ambiance, cleanliness, etc. So if you don't need a hotel with its own restaurant, health club, concierge, conference rooms, mini-bar, etc., you can find nice, charming 2 and 3 star accomodations for much less than $200 a night.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 03:15 AM

And, if you do choose Venice, you can save a bit more money by choosing a hotel that is not right at P. San Marco or directly on the Grand Canal. Venice isn't all that large, so almost no matter where you stay, you'll only be a short walk or vaporetto ride away from the action.