honeymoon in Italy

Mar 4th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

honeymoon in Italy

My fiance and I are thinking about going to Italy for our honeymoon. We both have never been to Europe before so we have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we could plan our honeymoon. Should we go through a tour agency and get a tour package or should we just explore the country on our own. We plan on spending about 2 weeks there.
Mar 4th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Please, do not plan on a tour for your honeymoon. (In fact, I'd say don't ever take an organized tour of Europe, but that just my opinion.)

Italy is an EASY country for a first time traveler to Europe. Plenty of people speak English, it's easy to get around, and the food is familiar to you.

While it is certainly possible and quite easy to book hotels, etc. on your own, it might not be a bad idea to use a travel agent to help you for this trip. A travel agent can help, an organized tour, to me, is someone else telling you what your vacation should be.

Any itinerary for a first time visitor should include Rome and Venice. If you're into history - I'd include Florence on the list. Given the scenic beauty, certainly the Amalfi Coast would seem like an ideal Honeymoon destination.

If you do a search on this board of Honeymoon Italy, I'm sure you'll see numerous threads that can give some ideas about itineraries.

Here's one suggestion:

4 Nights in Rome - Should give you plenty of time to Explore "Roman Empire Rome" and the Vatican.

5 Nights Amalfi Coast.

1 Night in Florence

3 or 4 Nights in Venice.

I'd call these guidelines. Talk to a travel agent about suggestions of towns/hotels.

Good luck.

Mar 4th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Put "Honeymoon in Italy" in the search box above. There are so many people currently planning honeymoons in Italy and you should find lots of ideas to get you started. Italy would be a fabulous place for a honeymoon!
Mar 4th, 2005, 10:15 AM

We spent our honeymoon in Italy last June and are headed back in May for another 2 weeks.

We used Rick Steves guidebook for hotels, restaurants and other information (museums, trains, etc.)- we were quite pleased. We used other guidebooks for more detailed information about the main sights (Rick Steves tends to give broad overviews without a lot of detail)
Mar 4th, 2005, 10:56 AM

We to are honeymooning in Italy this May. Start by deciding how long. Consider flying open jaw into Rome, outta Venice. Book your flights. Then decide how long you want to stay in each spot. Research hotels, B&Bs (www.cross-pollinate.com is good for B&Bs). Buy a guide book. I've used Rick Steves quite often (Italy twice, Ireland) alot of people on this site aren't huge fans of his. His books give a good overview. If you want more detail, there are other books. Book your hotels before you leave. Don't waste time looking for a place to stay. It's less stressful. Have fun!
Mar 4th, 2005, 03:07 PM
ira

Hi Jenny,

With 2 weeks for a honeymoon I would fly to Paris for a week, then fly to Venice for a week, before flying home.

You can fly Paris Orly to Milan cheaply and train to Venice.

See www.whichbudget.com.

Mar 4th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Do it on your own!!! My husband and I did a trip to Italy for our honeymoon last summer, and it could not have been more perfect. Although I'd been to Europe several times previously, I'd never been to Italy and my husband had never been anywhere in Europe. We had no problems at all.

We flew from Atlanta to Venice, spent 3 nights in Venice, picked up our rental car, drove to Tuscany, spent 4 nights in an agriturismo outside Pienza, drove to Positano, spent 3 nights there, drove to Rome (stopping at Pompeii), dropped off our rental car, spent 4 nights in Rome, and then flew back home from Rome. It was absolutely a glorious honeymoon.

While I am a firm believer that you should go on your own, you do need to have a plan. Go with an itinerary, even if you change it a little once you get there. This board is a great place to post your itinerary and get feedback on its feasibility.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you want any more info on our Italy honeymoon.
Mar 4th, 2005, 04:14 PM

Hi Jenny --

We also spent our honeymoon in Italy last summer. It's very romantic and full of wonderful things to do depending on your personal tastes. My husband had not been before, but is now addicted. We're going back this summer, as well.

Our honeymoon lasted 9 nights, so we concentrated on northern Italy. We booked everything ourselves via the internet. He checked airfares regularly and I booked the hotels through either italyby.com (and its related sites) or venere.com. For each hotel, I checked ratings/posts on this site, as well as on tripadvisor.com. They all turned out to be wonderful. We traveled by train and rental car. I've done a tour before and also recommend that you do it on your own. It's much more rewarding.

I'd also recommend staying outside of the major cities for a portion of your trip. Our first stop was Montalcino in Tuscany and we enjoyed being able to relax, drink wine, and drive around the area after the fast pace of our wedding.

Good luck! -- Heather.
Mar 6th, 2005, 02:24 PM

Hi Jenny, Congratulations on the wedding and choice of location for your honeymoon. Venice is the most romantic city I have yet visited and I have travelled extensively. I would fly into Rome, do day tours for 3-4 days, then go to Florence and tour Tuscany for 5-7 day. Finish off the vacation with the relaxation and romance Venice offers.
Enjoy.
www.travelworlddiscovery.com
Mar 6th, 2005, 05:30 PM

Jenny, I was in your shoes in 2002. I started by reading guidebooks - as the internet threw too much at me at once! I like Frommers the best for overview (sorry Fodors!) Its straight to the point, and informative. Read it cover to cover, with a pack of post-its nearby. When you've done, you'll have marked the sights/cities that interest you the most, you may have to narrow it down, but its a great start.

After reading, we chose to do one of the Italian lakes as the way to wind down from the wedding chaos. 4 days in Garda, 3 in Venice, 1 in Florence, 3 in Rome, 3 in Cinque Terra (CT).

You'll see a million different ideas - be sure to keep us updated on what you choose to do! -Trav

(PS - since becoming a traveltalk addict in 2002, I've used to board for Ireland, Charleston, DC, Captiva, Phoenix, Toronto, and now Italy again!)