Honeymoon in December

Search

Honeymoon in December

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in December

HELP! My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon at the end of December and we're trying to get an itinerary together. We are going to Rome for 3 1/2 days staying at Empire Palace Hotel, then taking the train to Florence where we will be staying for another 3 1/2 days at Hotel Bernini, and from there we fly to Paris for the last leg of the trip staying at Sofitel Paris Le Faubourg for a total of 2 days. I've started to learn some Italian online because we're spending a majority of our time there. Neither of us has been to Italy or France so we're really excited for this amazing opportunity. We are in late twenties and very active. I love to eat while my fiance loves to shop and find bargains (although I see myself being the negotiator on our trip). We aren't afraid of walking the city to see the sites but there is so much to do and even more to see that I feel overwhelmed trying to plan our adventures while she plans the wedding. We are very adventurous and coming into this with open eyes and eagerness to experience anything and everything. We are into seeing some of the arts and visiting museums but seeing as how there are so many it's hard to decide where to start. Please help me, I want to make this the most exciting, romantic and memorable trip. Also, any romantic ideas that I can surprise her with would be outstanding!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 08:54 AM

it is important for me, to help you, understand if it is end of December meaning between Christmas and Dec 31 or before Christmas.
Anyhow, you will enjoy it, I am sure !

Vincenzo
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

We leave the 21st and come back the 31st. Unfortunatly we won't be able to spend New Years Eve in Paris.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Stuart-- no doubt planning a European Honeymoon to 3 of the most amazing cities in the world can feel hugely overwhelming. Lots of sympathy there . That said, none of those cities are going anywhere; that is what RETURN trips are about!

While you say you guys are adventurous, etc...a European honeymoon to first time travelers to Europe is already an adventure. After all the hard work of putting together a wedding just see the main sights and enjoy the food, specially since you guys have never been there. EVERYTHING will be new and exciting; the French Metro, the wine, getting lost in the wonderful streets in Florence, been at awe at the spectacular Roman Colisseum....

As far as romance, I think you have a really good start with the Hotels selection!! Also, a cruise in the Seine is an obvious one. a nice leather bag from Florence and a gold heart charm from the jewerly stores in Ponte Vecchio are MY idea of romance!

Fodor's has Suggested Itinerararies for 2-3-4 day visits that are actually really good headstarts. Check those out.

Congrats! All the Best!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM

So far you've picked good places in 3 very nice cities I'm sure won't dissappoint you in the least. In Rome, Trastevere is always an area I've found really picturesque and romantic, especially when walking up the hill above Via Garibaldi to the top....that's a view of the city that can't be missed, as well as the view from atop Piazza Del Popolo, and that from the dome of Saint Peter's...good you're adventurous and thus won't mind steps Trastevere is also a perfect area to explore some authentic cuisine, and you really can't swing a cat without hitting good eats. There are also a lot of little shops and street vendors, open/out pretty late, and thus it's a great option for both of you, while letting you soak up history. Even at the time of year you're coming, the Borghese Gardens are always beautiful as well. And in Firenze, not only is the mercato near the duomo open daily until about 5, don't miss the view from atop Piazza Michelangelo. All that being said, CONGRATS on what I'm sure will be a spectacular honeymoon! And btw, a walk down the Tiber is always lovely too.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Stuart, congratulations and a hearty welcome to Fodors. You and your bride will be making many trips to Europe and other overseas destinations in your lives.

..tip: don't try to crowd everything into a ten-day trip....it can be overwhelming...so cool it, relax and aside from minimal planning and advice you will get from this forum, you will do fine. Learning Italian is not critical..it can however be helpful.

Mazel Tov from one Stuart to another!

Stu Tower, L.A.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Not sure where you will be on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day but be aware that many restaurants may be closed for the two days as Europeans tend to spend those days with family and cocoon more than we do here.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

I am kinda worried about Christmas time, we are Jewish and don't celebrate. Any tips on what we should do on those few days? We will be in Florence at that time.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Stu, thank you for your welcome and the mazel tov! We definitely plan on making many more trips to overseas destinations and plan on using Fodor's to get all my good information!

What kind of weather am I looking at for Italy and France that time of year? I've done some research about Italy and it's said to be comparable to Atlanta - where we live - but is it really going to be rainy in Paris? What kind of shoes would be best to pack for that time of year - sandals are definitely out, but I don't want to be lugging around in a pair of rain boots either!