Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Herodion,Cecil, Adrian or Attalos hotel in Athens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions on these hotels. They are all in the Plata area and about the same rate. How was your experiences?
Thanks.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

help please!
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 10:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I stayed at the Attalos and I would stay there again. It is definitely nothing fancy, but it was perfectly serviceable and the location is fantastic. I stayed in two different rooms, one of which had a balcony with a view of the Acropolis, and it is worth it to see if you can get one.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 02:15 PM

We stayed at the Herodian a number of years ago and they were great. We checked in around 8 a.m. and were given breakfast vouchers (which we were not entitled to.) So we had breakfast then a nap. The location is very good. It is a large hotel, not the atmospheric type but the front desk was superb. Our room was fine. All of the expected amenities. Hope this helps. CJ
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 02:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Hotel Attalos is a decent budget hotel. Good location in the Plaka area and about 5 minute walk from the metro that takes u to the Airport. Rooms are small and some of the bathrooms are really tiny, but for the $ its ok. Offers breakfast, but we didn't eat breakfast there as there are lots of places near by to eat for less then what they wanted for breakfast (about 8 euros I think). Nice rooftop bar with view of the Acropolis.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 10:19 PM

Attalos Hotel: www.attalos.gr. We stayed at this hotel in September just gone and thought this hotel was excellent value. The rooms were clean and large enough. We requested a room with a balcony. It was at the rear of the building. We could see the Acropolis to the side. There were no other views from our balcony apart from the ramshackle Athens roof lines. The outdoor furniture on our balcony was a bit tired too! However we still enjoyed sitting there. The roof bar is excellent. Great views. The bar opens at 5pm and prices are reasonable. Before 5pm you can bring your own drinks up there. We were lucky enough to view an electrical storm one night. Thunder, heavy rain, lightning cracking above the Acropolis – so this was the Sound and Light Show I had read about. Very impressive. The Attalos has friends in high places so it seems. There is also two internet terminals free of charge which worked fine and weren't too difficult to get a go on. I would describe the Attalos as a modern themed hotel. Room rate was €99 inclusive of an adequate breakfast. Staff were pleasant and the location was excellent – in Monastiraki near a Metro, the Flea Market and the Plaka.
We stayed at the Cecil in 2002. This hotel was also excellent. The Attalos is modern themed whereas the Cecil is a beautiful neo classical piece. It has a terrace but no seating. I've mentioned before that if it gets its roof terrace going it would double turnover. Both of these hotels are in an excellent location, the Monastiraki area, close to the Plaka and only metres from the metro.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 04:53 AM

Herodian is a nice hotel, stayed there a couple of times..check out these Syntagma/Plaka hotels..all in the best location in town...all smaller hotels with clean nicely equipped updated rooms..Amazon, Cypria, Achilleas, Hermes. all a block or so of each other.
The Attalos is a fine budget choice, the area is not as attractive, and I find it seedy at night..the hotel is fine though..basic and clean.The Adrian has a great location in the heart of Plaka..a bit pricey but well situated, The Herodian is a nice up market facility, a bit off the beaten path, but all things accessible via the nearby Metro stop..I am a frequent traveler to Athens, and stick with my previous suggestions, where I get a comfortable room, great breakfast, and clean accomodations..internet high speed is importanat to me and the Amazons' is excellent, as is the Cyprias'. but location rules for these 3 star properties..have a blast Athens is a fabulous city if you get off the beaten track!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Johnnieb:
Thank you so much.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Yeah, cheers seeall, anytime.

And regarding the Monastiraki area I didn't find it seedy at all. A bit run down, yes, but hey welcome to Athens!
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

worldinabag,
Is the area safe for my teenagers to walk alone early at night?
Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
There were lots of young people walking around in the area when I stayed there.