Search

Week in Paris in April

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 01:52 PM
drb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Week in Paris in April

I'm taking my wife to Paris for our 25th anniversary this April. We're staying at Le Meurice and would welcome bistro or dining recommendations as well as any ideas for day trips.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 02:17 PM

Congratulations!

What I would suggest is that you let us know what kinds of interests you have. Have you been to Paris before? Either way, I'd buy a guidebook -- Rick Steves Paris book would be ideal if you're a first-timer, and it includes day trip ideas as well. You might also borrow som travel videos from your local library, so you can get the lay of the land and see for yourself what the city and daytrips have to offer.

You can take a day trip to Monet's house and grounds in Giverny, or a day trip to Versailles, and I'm sure there are many other ideas out there. I was just there last September and aside from a short trip to Versailles, I found a week in Paris was just barely enough to be able to soak in the beautiful city.

Happy anniversary, and happy travels,

Jules
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 03:32 PM
drb
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I've been there before but wy wife has not. I've got a reasonable handle on the museums but would welcome advice about one or two great meals, favorite bistros and any hidden attractions or places we shouldn't miss. Ballet and or opera would be a possibility as well.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 04:36 PM

I really think its a good idea to take the "on and off" bus tour of Paris. Just ride around and get the lay of the city, esp. if your wife has not been there before. St. Chappell(sp?)near Notre Dame is a MUST see!! If you are going to Verseilles, try to find a day/time when school kids are not there. It might not be possible..but...
The Orsay museum is wonderful. Can't recommend any restaurants, ask the hotel concierge.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 04:39 PM

A perfect Paris restaurant...

La Truffiere
http://www.latruffiere.com/us/page1.html

Do a search for it on here - there are other people who have reviewed it too.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 07:28 PM

I would take the batobus, which stops at all the main tourist sites. If you purchase the Carte Orange, be sure to show it, as you can get a discounted batobus ticket.

http://www.batobus.com/

Depending on when you're there in April, the ballet Cendrillon will be performed. My husband and I will be going to Paris in April also and plan to get tickets for that ballet. Tickets will be available online in January.

http://www.operadeparis.fr/

You can also purchase tickets at www.fnac.com

I don't know what area you're staying in, but we really enjoy the Brasserie Balzar. You can book online:

http://www.brasseriebalzar.com/

Sandy
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 08:04 PM

We're going there for our 25th anniversary in April too!

Sandy,
Is there an English version of the opera website? I clicked on and could only get it in French and it seems (from my limited French) that the ballet will not be on when we're there :-< but I'd like to double check in English.

drb,
One of our favorite restaurants we always go to is Le Grand Cafe near the Opera Garnier (which is worth stopping into for the ceiling alone). You can check them out at Legrandcafe.com.

There's TONS of information on this website on Paris (I've already 110 pages of notes I need to go through!)

Congratulations to both of us!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:27 AM

You can usually get opera or ballet tickets ahead of time on line.

There is a website:

http://www.operadeparis.fr/

It is in French but if you click on the "2006-2007 Saison" you'll get a list of the presentations and opening-closing dates; you can also see ballet offerings.

For each presentation there is an opening date for internet sales.

We have seen periodic posts from people who want to see a presentation and have not bought tickets in advance; some ended up disappointed.

I suspect the concierge at your hotel could also get you tickets.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:30 AM

The Opera is "dark" from 20 April to 14 May next year.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 04:39 AM

If the weather turns iffy, you can stroll through the charming covered passages ...

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34731940
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 01:24 PM

I have to agree on La Truffiere. My wife and I got engaged in Paris and were lucky enough to eat there. Very quaint, small and so much character. The service was absolutely incredible. In fact (I guess our hotel alerted them), but they knew all about our engagement earlier that day and made the evening extra special. So tip them off that it is a special day.