Grown up getaway to Paris - hotel recco?

Jul 27th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Grown up getaway to Paris - hotel recco?

Hi -

My husband and I and another couple are planning a Sept 2009 getaway (no kids!). All of us have either been to Paris long ago as teenagers or never at all..
Looking forward to great fun, champagne, art and shopping. Total of 3 questions - pls feel free to weigh in on any / all:

NUMBER #1:
We will be choosing from the following hotels:

-Renaissance Paris Vendome
- Renaissance Paris Hotel Le Parc Trocadero

We will be trading in points so need to stay in a marriott property. Have read pretty good things but want to make sure where we stay has surrounding charm (parisian feel, cafes, etc) and great service. Any insights on either location?

NUMBER #2:
Length of time - is one full week too much for just Paris or should we stay several days (4) and go to coutryside for a few - is it worth going to the countryside in September? Are there any worthwhile day trips out of Paris?

NUMBER #3:
I'm sure I can capture the must see's Notre Dame etc etc. Any off the beaten path experiences that would be recommended? Or any great reccos that would make a special trip more special....(For example - last year in Italy -we took a cooking class that was memorable..)

Thanks so much....
Jul 27th, 2008, 07:35 PM

Having lived in Paris and visited Paris, one week always feels to me the perfect amount of time. In that one week, I have sometimes taken a day trip out of the city on a whim, but I can be happy lingering in lots of places around the city. Despite having spent extended amounts of time there, there are astonishing number of well-known attractions I still haven't seen.

As for off the beaten path, if you have never been to the basilica of St Denis, I consider it the single greatest art monument in the city. And almost nobody goes!!!

If you've never spent time going over the ceramics collection in the Louvre, you might be surprised at how marvelous it is -- as would be any gallery in the Louvre that might be of special, quirky interest to you apart from the main painting galleries.

The "passages" of Paris, the covered galleries that used to connect all of Paris with linked shopping corridors (kind of the original malls) are fascinating. I think to of the best are in the 2d arrondisment, the Passage Ste Anne and the Gallerie Colbert.

http://www.passagesetgaleries.org/index2.html

Also in the 2d arr. is the "Japanese" district, which is a curosity.

I think the oft-recommended trip on the canals is a total snooze.
Jul 27th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Here is a beautiful set of pictures of the passages:

http://www.parisbestlodge.com/passages.html
Jul 28th, 2008, 08:29 AM
ira

Hi 10,

> is one full week too much for just Paris ...

Absolutely not, especially for an anniversary.

Jul 28th, 2008, 08:34 AM
dmlove

I've been in Paris for as little as three days and as many as nine. I so preferred the latter. The advantage to staying in one [wonderful] place for a longer time is you finish all the "required" tourist spots and then you can just enjoy the city! You can sit longer at a cafe or in a park, or wander aimlessly without having to be somewhere. I think a week in paris would be fabulous.

Jul 28th, 2008, 08:40 AM

My first visit to Paris was three days, my second was a week, and my last visit was 9 days and I much preferred the last visit, and wish I'd had another week.
Jul 29th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone -- so a week it is. go ahead twist my arm!!

Anyone have any feedback on the other questions??
Jul 29th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Hi

Location wise I would stay at the Renaissance Paris Vendome.

I believe there is a free recital every Sunday at Notre Dame.
Aug 6th, 2008, 01:14 PM

We went to Paris in May and stayed w/ our marriott points - 5 days at the Champs de' Elysee Marriott and 5 days at the Trocadero - I felt like a guest in luxury at the Champs de' Elysee (very convenient to the much used yellow line metro) and felt like a local at the the Trocadero (stopping by the local bakery for morning coffee and pastry). It was kind of nice to be a part of two different neighborhoods. We were there for about 10 days and spent one at Versailles (a must if you haven't done it) and another 1/2 day at Giverney (Monet's home). I would visit both again, but I would go w/ a tour guide to Versailles b/c you don't have to wait in line w/ a tour group (saving you a couple of hours). Enjoy - the marriott points were well worth the savings!
Aug 6th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Definitely stay at the Vendome. Perfect location, in walking distance of all the major sites in the heart of Paris.
Aug 6th, 2008, 04:53 PM

you mentioned cooking class..I went to a cooknwithclass morning..it was very laid back..first to the market and then you cook lunch. If your SO doesnt attend the class he/she can join for lunch and comment on your efforts!