Search

Paris regrets..things missed..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris regrets..things missed..

Ah I am reading the "what do we love about Paris"

We just got back.. for some reason..our bus tour.. the MANY guide books.. did not point out the flower market.. which we walked by..when it was closed...

Had tickets to a St Chapelle concert.. got back too late in the day to the apt in Monmartre.. hubby sick.. just couldnt muster myself to go... next time..

There seemed to be something else I didnt cram into our nine days!!

oh well. something to look forward to next time...

ok BUT did anyone else find the gold ring and have 'bon chance"!Funny gypsy story.. my friend who lives there had the same thing happen .. a few years earlier.. and to think I was falling for it!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:36 PM

Never did get over to Laduree for a macaron. I had one somewhere else in the 6th, but not an "official" one from Laduree.

This is my first stop on my next trip there.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 04:57 AM
ira

Hi C,

>... did anyone else find the gold ring ....

I stopped counting after the third person approached us.

Old Jul 4th, 2008, 05:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We missed too many things. The good thing about this is that my DH agrees there was a lot to see in Paris and we just didn't have the time! Loved the city and contrary to popular belief, the people were very friendly and happy. We had only three days in Paris. Just enough time for a quick over view. I left feeling cheated. I think you need a week to have an overview of the city. Two weeks would give enough time to see things and enjoy them!
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 05:37 AM

We only found the gold ring once and it was our first time. quot;>

Coxbox, this is exactly what frustrates me about reading people's trip reports -- I always feel I missed so many things! But you're right, there's always next time.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:31 AM

Yes, always regrets. I read the trip reports here and I just get reminded of how my list of to-do's is not getting shorter. I've tried. I've been 9-10 times. It seems like half of every trip is wasted wandering around instead of working on that list I must be more disciplined haha

Museums I have not seen, parks I have not visited, areas outside of the core I have not browsed, and of course the long list of interesting restaurants.

I sometimes envy some teacher friends who are doing a 5/1 program, work 5 years at 20% less salary and get 5th year leave with full salary. With a year, I could get to know my favorite city better.

Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:40 AM

I regret not geting up early at sunrise to run every single day in Paris. I ran 3x, 2 of which were only 30 mins long each and in mid-morning. I managed an hour long on the last day, covering a good distance at Place de Concorde and Il St Louis area. I was in tears as I ran through the wonderful streets of Paris knowing it's my last day in it.

I also regret not getting up early enough to go to the Sunday Montagueil market. We got some roasted chicken and potatoes for lunch, but we couldn't linger as long cause it was lunch time when we got out there, and many of the vendors were closing up. We also foregone the cheeses and baked goods not knowing cheese stores, charcuteries, and wine shops were closed on Sundays in our area. What dummies we were!
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:50 AM

Absolutely! Sat in outside terraces when I should have been in a museum with a cool pichet of vin blanc. Lingered over lunch, when I should have been shopping for souveners.

What will I do next time if I'm lucky enough to return? Sit and linger? mmmm....?? I need more discipline, spelling help and TIME.

All that said, I have some serendipity moments that I enjoyed and will remember. Moments no guide book could have prepared me for. All in balance.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 09:02 AM

I regret not daring to use a Velib bike. So many everywhere with so many stations and people riding them.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 09:11 AM
tod

When I read all there is to know/learn/experience about Paris - I get a kind of 'panic' feeling on the first day in the City of Light, but then She takes me like a loving mother into her bossom and I feel comforted and relaxed about what I am about to experience and know that, God willing, I will catch up to the other experiences on my next rendevous in Paris!

Recently read a brilliant book by Janelle McCulloch - La Vie Parisienne..... get it!
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM

Non, je ne regrette rien.

Well, I do regret not wearing sunscreen the day I went to Versailles. There's not a lot of shade in the gardens.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:59 AM

We didn't even make it to the Eiffel Tower our first two trips--and they were both delights. More than a dozen trips later, there are still things I want to see.

And that is what I /we/ all love about Paris.