Henri Cartier-Bresson Foundation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone been here yet? I didn't ask questions before going to the Photography Museum in San Diego and it was war photos. Is this new facility appropriate for young ones? It is in the Montparnasse district. Is that nice? What else is nearby?
Old May 24th, 2003, 06:09 PM

I haven't been there but may next month. There is an exhibition of his works at the Bibliotheque Nationale, also, which I will see. However, I do know that area and it isn't dangerous or terribly seedy, if that concerns you. Montparnasse is a relatively newer area of Paris (in comparison to the origination of Paris in the center and the very old areas around the Seine) which developed around the end of the 18th Century, I believe. It was quite popular as an artistic and literary community in the early 20th Century. There are a lot of famous cafes there you may have heard of where some of the wellknown authors, painters, photographers, etc hung out (La Rotonde, Le Dome, La Coupole). Many of these are still there, as well as areas where some of the old artists' ateliers were, some of which still function as artists' studios, I think. It is an area with a lot of history, combined with newer buildings and architecture (such as the tall MOntparnasse Tower) and is a popular area to go out at night due to the cafes, movies and some clubs and theaters.

That foundation is near the Gaite metro stop. If you aren't familiar with Cartier-Bresson's work you might look at some of it online somewhere to get a flavor. I don't consider it that controversial or offensive, mainly being photos of people, city scenes, everyday life, but I think he worked for some magazines and did some photos for those. However, there are some photos which one could say depict a seamier side of life and I remember one with nudity (of prostitutes) if that concerns you. That is not the bulk of it, however.

In general, I wouldn't think that kind of photography exhibit would appeal to children, regardless, depending on their age. Perhaps teens could enjoy it, especially if they have an interest in photography.

There aren't tons of things nearby on the usual tourist agenda, but Paris isn't that large that this should be a concern -- it's only a few metro stops from St-Germain and the Seine. There are a couple of minor museums around there, which wouldn't be at the top of most lists (Montparnasse, Zadine, Bourdelle -- I think the Postal Museum is around there). Montparnasse cemetery is very close, if you are interested in seeing graves of some famous people. Other than the cafes, there is a shopping center at Montparnasse Tower, and some other good stores nearby (cookware and artists supplies). That shopping center has a lot that might appeal to teens, and a branch of Galeries Lafayette, although it's nothing like the main store.
Old May 24th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. She's in the stage where I can get her to look for horse pictures or something to distract her. Plus a promise of the rest of the day at the park. I just have to zoon through the museum. We're taking a mom and tot class at the Art Acedemy so maybe this will help too.

I know nothing of the history you mentioned. Do you have a book suggestion I could start with on learning about the artists and writers? My parents wouldn't let me take French, they made me take Spanish classes instead.
Old May 24th, 2003, 08:02 PM

having studied photography for two years in grad school before switching over to architecture - there's a lot more to Cartie-Bresson than war photography - he 's an incredible photographer / editor. He took numerous photographs of the same situation and then chose the best one. If you have the opportunity to see this show - do it....
Old May 25th, 2003, 07:24 PM

islandmom,

A good book that will introduce you to the artists and writers who lived in Paris in the 1920's and 1930's is Paris Was Yesterday, by Janet Flanner. Flanner was the Paris correspondent for The New Yorker for many years, and her columns have been collected into several books. Paris Was Yesterday, which is the first of those books, covers the period from 1925 to 1939.
Old May 25th, 2003, 11:14 PM

The web page of the Cartier-Bresson Foundation in Montparnasse is now updated (opening hours, location, etc.). English version available.
http://www.henricartierbresson.org/
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Topping this in tribute to the great photographer who died this week.