Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with venice to piedmont in late september

Old Jul 10th, 2024, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to all you helpful people on Fodor's. I am having a struggle planning this rather impromptu trip which came about because my companion business class ticket is going to expire. Meanwhile, life is crazy busy, and I am feeling less than confident about being able to plan this trip in my usual well researched way.

So we start out flying from Canada to London. After an overnight there, we fly on to Venice. The plan is to spend some time in Venice, then rent a car and drive to the Ligurian Coast. From there we will drive to Alba or Asti area, spend some nights, then drop the car in Turin, and stay there for 2 nights before flying back to London for the flight home.

Altogether, we have 18 nights. The first one will be recovery time in London, so 17 nights left. We have flown through London numerous times and don't feel the need to spend time there this trip except to have a meal or two.

Here is where I am having difficulty:
I am thinking 5 nights in Venice
4 or 5 nights on the Ligurian Coast
4 nights in Alba or thereabouts
2 nights in Turin
1 night London

Are 4 nights on the coast enough? Any suggestions on where to stay?
Are 4 nights in Alba enough or too much? We love wine and truffles!
Should we spend a night in Parma or Modena so as to have a very leisurely drive to the coast, or would our time be better spent when we get there?

There appears to be road work around Rapallo and also around Portovenere, both places I wanted to visit. Does anyone know if this is a temporary thing, or is the road closed? We want to keep the car for the hill towns in Piedmont.

I would really appreciate any suggestions, as I need to get making some room reservations.... thanks in advance!
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 12:38 PM

Hi. when we are in Langhe (we based ourselves in an amazing rental in Annuziatta near La Morra) we hired Daniele Maracine who I had seen on another forum. We hired her for 2 days and she picked us up in the morning and dropped us off at night. She drove us to beatiful hilltop towns and made wine tasting appointments for us. She is a licensed sommalier and I cant recommend her more hightly. We spent 4 nights in this area as part of a 3 week N Italy trip and it was our favorite
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

plambers, Having a sommelier drive around to hill towns sounds ideal. Do you have contact information for her? Also do you remember the name of your accommodation? It does seem that there are a lot of nice places to stay in the countryside around La Morra and probably other places too. I checked Maitai Tom's recommended place near La Morra but alas, no rooms left at this time.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 04:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Now I have truffles dancing in my head.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Those are sweet dreams, maitai...
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 09:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
natylou, you may have seen my recent trip report covering some of the regions you intend to visit.
On the Ligurian coast we based in Rapallo Portovenere and Lerici and 5 days were adequate, as we didn't return to the Cinque Terre. It comes down to what you want to see and do. I don't remember any roadwork in May impacting access, but we relied on public transport for this area, ditching the car after Piedmont.
Alba is nice, and 4 nights would be good for Piedmont but I would also recommend La Morra or somewhere in the very heart of the Langhe. You can also check airbnb for your acco needs.
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 12:15 PM

La Notte apartment. She also rents it privately. It's on all the sites. Fantastic owners and wonderful apartment. If you can stay over the weekend, you can walk to a fantastic restaurant that's only open for dinner on weekends.

Google Danielles name and you will find her email address. I saw it on tripadvisor but don't have it handy. I really can't say enough good things to say about her. We had a car but it was wonderful to have someone drive us around, especially after some wine at lunch or at a tasting.
Old Jul 12th, 2024, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

ANUJ, I have been perusing your trip report, and copy and pasting many ideas. We will be approaching from the opposite direction, but I am thinking that the train might be a viable alternative from maybe La Spezia. A car might be an impediment in the area of Rapallo,and it would probably be parked for the time we are there. Then we can train to Turin and rent a car for Piedmont.

Plambers, thanks so much for the information. I will definitely check out the accomodation, and the tour guide.

This is coming together nicely. I found a beautiful hotel in Venice. While in Seville, we stayed at H10 Casa de la Plata, and absolutely loved it. So when I checked their website, they have a new hotel near the Rialto Bridge, but on the San Polo side, and has very good reviews. We are celebrating something, so this is a splurge for us, and are really looking forward to seeing Venice again. It's been awhile!
Old Jul 12th, 2024, 05:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have stayed in Santa Margherita Ligure twice and enjoyed it a lot.
Old Jul 12th, 2024, 06:54 PM

You will be in the Piedmont at the beginning the truffle season, and you may find it challenging to find lodging, especially if you want to stay in Alba, which will be having their truffle festival throughout October; I don't know if your 18 days will run into October. We will be in that area later in October, and the one restaurant that I wanted to return to, from a prior trip, is already booked for any time/day we wanted, other than Sunday night - so we're eating there then.
I really like Monforte d'Alba; it's a charming little town and has a number of great restaurants (plus many more in the area). Check out Le Case della Saracca; it's a unique place and the owner is a great guy. If you can't stay there, consider having dinner there.

If you're looking for some special restaurants in Venice, look at Osteria Anice Stellato or Osteria Alle Testiere.
Old Jul 13th, 2024, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Happy Traveler, I have looked at both Rapallo and SML, and they both look great. I have read some comments that the cruise ships come into SML, and I really don't like the cruise ship vibe. But only one ship is coming in at the end of our stay, so maybe it wouldn't bother us.

Lexma, I have just seen your name in one of my older Fodor's guide books for Northern Italy Thanks for those suggestions. I will definitely check them out. We will be starting our tour in Piedmont on Sept 30, and will be there 4 nights, so probably will want to avoid staying in Alba. With a car we prefer to stay outside the town center for the parking.I will report back here on what I am able to find. Monforte d'Alba looks great. And the restaurant you suggested! Wonderful.

Unfortunately La Notte is also booked already. It seemed like exactly what we would love.
Old Jul 13th, 2024, 05:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
For Alba we stayed just outside of the town at Villa Favorita, a very nice Bnb.