Help with trip to Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip from March 29th-April 11th to Germany. We fly to Frankfurt. My brothr lives about 50 miles north in Hungen-Inheiden.
What can we do around that area. We would like to see castles, and concentration camps.
We will have children with us also. We are thinkg of riding the train as much as we can and renting a car if we need to.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 05:15 PM

ttt for jmday
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I am new here what does ttt mean?

Thanks
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:47 PM

ttt means "to the top". It's just a way to get your question back up to the top of the queue.

The Rhine and Mosel Rivers offer plenty of beautiful scenery and castles and are less than 2 hours from Frankfurt. Burg Eltz near Cochem on the Mosel is fantastic and should not be missed if possible.

Can't help with the concentration camps, but I'm sure others will be able to give you some info.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 07:31 PM

It's 1:13 or 1:23 hr from the central train station in Frankfurt (Main) Hbf, depending on connection, with one transfer - a regional train to Giessen, then the Hessische Landesbahn to Hungen. There seem to be trains about twice an hour in the middle of the day.

From the airport you first take a train into Frankfurt (Main) Hbf (which stands for Hauptbahnhof, meaning the major station).

As far as places to go and see, I'd imagine that your brother who lives there might be the expert? Use Google and research the following:

In the nearby Vogelsberg mountain region, known for views and healthy air, are

www.homberg-ohm.de
www.schotten.de/
www.burgen-und-schloesser.net/182/touristik.htm

To the north is the old university town Marburg www.marburg.de, and further west is the nice old city of Wetzlar www.wetzlar.de/ (click on English on the right).

In the nearby nature park (an entire forested mountain region) called Naturpark Hochtaunus is the town of Braunfels - there are nice pictures at
www.braunfels.de/.

There is a city called Limburg (not the one in the Netherlands) with a picturesque old town center. www.limburg.de/.

Then there's Bad Homburg; further to the west is the river Rhein area with Ruedesheim, Bacharach, the Lorelei rock promontory, wine country, ships going up and down from Mainz to Koblenz and even Koeln (Cologne). South of Frankfurt is Heidelberg, and on and on.

Don't know about any nearby concentration camps - they're all listed at www.konzentrationslager.de/ - your brother might know if any are in that region? The nearest I know about is Dachau north of Munich, that's quite a ways to the south-east.

WK
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 08:40 PM

I went on a tour of Europe over the summer. One of the stops in Germany was Dachau. The visit was very different for me than watching the history channel. I cried half the time I was there. I greatly disturbed me but I will never forget it and thats the whole point of it still being there.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 04:23 AM

No a concentration camp, but a slave-labor camp right next to Frankfurt airport. Here's a prior write-up I did on it:

If you find yourself around Frankfurt airport with a couple of extra hours to kill, 2 summers ago we stumbled across a holocaust labor camp memorial in the town of Walldorf on the south side of the airport.

Towards the end of the war, it was the labor camp for a group of Hungarian Jewish women who were brought in to harden the airport runways for the jet aircraft the Germans were bringing into service.

It's in a quiet wooded area between Walldorf and the airport--a circular trail with plaques containing photos, copies of letters, etc. Nothing overwhelming, but a simple, and moving tribute area documenting the experience of the women.

I can dig out the directions from my travel journal if anyone is interested. There's also a good Italian restaurant nearby.

http://www.kz-walldorf.de/
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all! My brother is very helpful, but going through alot right now and I don't want to bother him, with trying to find things to do. I would like to get an idea of what to do myself.
We will be going to Hanover to the north and Weimar to the south.
Does anyone know any good places to stay at Weimar or close by?
Thanks again for all your helpl
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

I was thinking of going on the Romantic Road
Wurzburg, Tauberbischofsheim,Creglingen, Bad Mergentheim, Rothenburg, Schillingsfurst, Feuchtwangen,Dinkelsbuhl, Nordlingen, Donauworth,Augsburg,Landsber, Schongau,Schwangau, Wieskirche, Fussen.

How long would this take? Where should we stay?

Thanks,
Jackie D.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Also If we get a chance would you go to Amsterdam or Prague?

Thanks,
Jackie
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

just bumping this up.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 04:53 PM
rex

topping... <i>again</i>... the &quot;Need help&quot; re-post is <i><u>so</u></i> wrong...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 06:47 PM

Hi Jackie,

With two weeks, you could squeeze in a trip to either Amsterdam or Prague. Recommend either one! How old are your children?

SusanEva