3 weeks in the Loire

Search

3 weeks in the Loire

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 weeks in the Loire

Next July we will be renting a house in the Loire valley, near Langeais with another couple for three weeks. We will be hiring a car.Apart from the chateaux any thoughts on villages or restaurants not to be missed or memorable events? We would also like to go on some day or overnight trips. Any suggestions?
Sally
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 01:21 AM
rex

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Wow... what an opportunity, to be envied. Obviously, you will need to do some major reading to make your wish list(s). Do add Chateau d'Artigny for a memorable night out (dining).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 02:28 AM
ira

Hi SC,

You might want to look up "Loire" under destinations.

Old Dec 21st, 2005, 03:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I know you said you want ideas apart from the chateaux, but my suggestion is a chateau that is less well known than the major ones but that we found fascinating and lovely: the Chateau de Breze. It is set in a vineyard and has a tasting room and sells its own wine. There is a picnic area where we had lunch accompanied by the wine overlooking the vineyard. And the chateau itself is fascinating, built partly above ground and partly below, with an enormous moat and system of underground caverns and tunnels to explore.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 06:32 AM
tod

SallyC- I did a walking tour of the Loire Valley on my own some years back and was thrilled to drive (nearly the same route) with my husband last year.
We started off in Tours which has some magnificent old buildings and a wonderful cathedral. Don't miss the Lebanese Cedar tree in the grounds next to the cathedral. It's hundreds of years old and quite lovely.
From there we drove to Azay-le-Rideau and toured the wonderful chateau. Take your time and even spend the night in town so that you can attend the "Light Show" at the chateau in the evening.
Going along the Indre river we came across the village of Sache and visited the chateau where Balzac wrote many of his famous novels. You can see his study exactly as it was left.

We headed for Chinon famous for its wine and the medieval fortress where Joan of Arc met Charles VII.
We visited the Abbey of Fontevraud with a guided tour. This is the last resting place of Richard the Lion-Heart and you can see his tomb.
After arriving in the wonderful little village of Candes-St-Martin which lies at the confluence of the Loire & Vienne rivers, we decided to have lunch in the restaurant next to the church.
Next we moved on to Saumur and the Anne-of-Anjou Hotel overlooking the Loire. Behind on the hilltop is the ancient castle which is being restored in parts. We had dinner Al Fresco in the "town Square" right outside the doors of the old church. The restaurant at the hotel is very popular and must be booked well in advance.
We visited a subterranean mushroom & snail farm on the way out of Saumur. Be sure to check the one with a restaurant deep inside the cave. There are many along the road but we found this the best. The tourist office will give you the name.
Then on to the chateau at Chenehutte-les-Tuffeaux for a splendid dinner and good rest.
Do try a local speciality "fouees" - warm hollow rolls filled with beans, rillettes, butter and goats cheese.

Old Dec 21st, 2005, 07:32 AM

There is a very good Sunday market in Langeais.

Be sure to have one dinner at the Chareau Rochecotte, which is right down the road.

Old Dec 21st, 2005, 08:45 AM

The Loire has lots of offerings other than châteaux, though you certainly want to see your fill of those. A good guidebook will point you to some of the other attractions. Here are some we've enjoyed in several trips there:

Wine tastings
Troglodyte sites
Local festivals, notably the crottin festival
weekly markets in various towns
the Clos Lucé in Amboise
The Fontevraud Abbey
The Jean Lurçat tapestries in Angers (a visit to the château to see the original tapestries that were the inspiration is almost a requirement)
Dining at the Cheval Blanc in Bléré
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 09:00 AM

We drove the Wine Tour - info at any tourist information in Loire Valley - and stopped at several different family owned wineries for tastings. It was a lovely drive and we really enjoyed seeing the vinyards and the family owned wineries. Also Amboise has a wonderful market on Sunday morning as well as the Leonardo da Vinci museum (Clos Luce).
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 07:11 PM

Search "Le Cheval Blanc" for my 9/13 review. This is the one restaurant not to miss.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Shall take it with us. Do the restaurants at that time of year need to be booked far in advance?
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 07:40 PM

Dear SallyC,

Wanted to mention the incredible gardens at Villandry, one of my favorite things about the Loire valley.

You asked about "memorable events". We did a hot air balloon ride over Chenonceau and the countryside with Montgolfier, which ended with a champagne toast at sunset. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Have a wonderful trip. SusanEva